1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VBR Bias and Qual Prec settings?

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by mord, Sep 23, 2007.

1. mord

mord Regular member

VBR Bias and Qual Prec:
    what do you guys have these set to? i saw some people have VBR Bias set to 0.

2. paschal93

paschal93 Guest

What do these settings change? Changing these setting does it have any visual effect? I'm new to DVD rebuilder, using HC encoder.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2008
  3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Have never messed with any settings myself.

4. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

The answer to what these do can be found in the user manual.

VBR_Bias
    This setting controls how CCE distributes the bitrate. To quote jdobbs:
    "When you do your first pass the bit allocation per frame/gop is set based on a constant quality.
    The bias determines how much weight is given toward keeping that allocation. Setting it higher prevents wild swings in bit allocation between frames/gops. Setting it lower makes the encoder allocate more bits to high demand areas as needed and less to low demand. ...The higher you set this value, the closer you get to CBR rather than VBR."

Quality_prec
    Also known as Image quality Priority in CCE 2.5 and Quantizer characteristics in CCE 2.66 +. This setting ranges from 0-64, but is scaled for CCE 2.5 which uses a 0-100 scale.
    This setting controls whether CCE gives priority to the fine details of the image, or evenly colored flat areas. A low setting will give priority to details, but could result in blockiness or color banding. A high setting will favor flat areas, but could result in edge artifacts.