1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS videotape saved on DVD recorder and DVD_RTAV files

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Cherian, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Cherian

Cherian Member

I can save my old VHS tapes(recorded years ago on a Panasonic video camera) to the hard drive of my DVD recorder, a Sony 160GB hard drive model. I hoped that the DVD disks written from the hard drive would be able to be saved on my PC for editing probably through Moviemaker. The files on the disk are DVD_RTAV and I cannot save them to my PC, in fact the DVD disks will not play on the PC but on the TV, no problem! Am I trying to do something that is impossible?

2. attar

attar Senior member

Inside the DVD_RTAV folder, is there a large file VR_Movie.VRO?
    If the file is renamed with .mpg on the end, the PC media player should play it ok.

3. Cherian

Cherian Member

Thanks but cannot do! "Cannot rename VR_MOVIE: Files on this CD are read-only." is the result!

Can you help further? Surely there must be a way to play this on my PC, save it and re-edit it for eventual writing to another DVD which one would then want to be playable on both a PC and DVD player ie on a TV!

Help!

4. Cherian

Cherian Member

Attar, I see you are trying to help breapinky who seems to have a similar problem. He doesn't say so but I wonder how he is converting his old movies (VHS Tapes I assume) to avi files? How is he doing this?

5. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

Of course you can't re-name a file on a DVD...But you could copy the file to your hard drive first...

6. attar

attar Senior member

'Cherian' is capturing the tapes on a DVD Recorder (straight to DVD) - which is rejecting some tapes that are protected.The recorder may use regular DVD+-/R or possibly DVD-RAM disks (which use the same format that you are seeing).

As 'olyteddy' mentioned, the files have to be copied to the PC hard drive before renaming - It was remiss of me not to have said this.

7. Cherian

Cherian Member

Attar and Olyteddy, thanks for your input but just to clarify -

I am saving old home video (taken 15 years ago on a Panasonic VHS video camera so no 'protected' material)from the recorded VHS tapes. They are played in a VCR and captured to the hard drive of my Sony DVD recorder. From the hard drive I write the material to a DVD-RW disk(using the Sony). That DVD disk (with its DVD_RTAV files) will NOT play in my PC and thus I cannot save anything on it to my PC hard drive! Further down the track I hoped to be able to somehow edit the 'rubbish' out (hopefully through Moviemaker)and re-write to DVD for viewing on a TV!

Does this info assist you to help me? (I stress I'm a novice at all this!)

8. attar

attar Senior member

That begs the question as to how you know the file format if the disk cannot be read on the PC?
    From my experience, the DVD_RTAV format is used on DVD-RAM disks, not DVD-RW.
    A finalized DVD-RW should have the standard DVD folder format.

9. Cherian

Cherian Member

When I put the disk into the appropriate drive (F: drive)in the PC it is 'recognised'with the legend 'Sony_DVD_Recorder_Volume (F:)'

Clicking on this brings up a new window 'Files currently on the CD' and then lists the 'DVD_RTAG' folder and a '.Sys-Reserved-RW-Bitmap.GROW' file (which I confess means absolutely nothing to me!!)

I cannot 'play' or 'save' anything!

10. attar

attar Senior member

And you cannot open the DVD_RTAV folder?

11. Cherian

Cherian Member

Yes, I can and there are three files within

VR_MANGR (a BUP file)
    VR_MANGR.INFO (an IFO file)
    VR_MANGR.VRO (an VRO file)

I hasten to add that I am not aware of the significance or definition of these files!

12. attar

attar Senior member

If you drag the .vro file onto the desktop, rename it with .mpg at the end, then your media player should play it ok.
    If it plays ok, you can convert it (if desired) to the more conventional DVD or AVI format and burn to disk.

13. Cherian

Cherian Member

Attar you are a legend - yes what you have suggested, happens and media player plays it!

Sadly however, Moviemaker doesn't react favourably. I can view the video in the viewing panel but as soon as I drag it to the timeline to edit etc my whole system freezes and nothing works - it's a re-boot to get things moving again!

Hopefully your expertise will extend to helpful comments to overcome this problem!

14. attar

attar Senior member

If you are referring to Windows Movie Maker I'm not much help as I don't use the program.
    The only thing I can think of is that the VRO file has AC3 audio as opposed to the MP2 and WMM may not like the AC3..
    If that is the case (and you have Nero installed) you can load the VRO file into Nero Vision 4 and use the 'Export' feature to create an MPEG file with MP2 audio and see if WMM acceptes it.

I have used a freeware program called 'AviDemux' on VRO files that have been recorded on DVD-RAM.
    This program can load the VRO file and convert it to MPEG with MP2 audio - it also lets you edit the file with simple cutting of scenes.

Good luck.

AviDemux
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AviDemux

[​IMG]

15. Cherian

Cherian Member

Attar, thanks again for your help. I can't get back to pursuing your latest suggestions for a few days but I will and I'll keep you posted!
    I must say that DVD seems to be a minefield with all these different types of files - what they mean and what they do etc!Frustrating fun!

16. Marshy34

Marshy34 Member

17. Marshy34

Marshy34 Member

Hi Im new tonight but I have same problem with my Toshiba, funnily enough Ive had it for 16 months now and never had this problem until just now. I was told I needed a DECODER ??
    My PC DVD rw accepts DVD+/-DVDRW 's Ive been really tearing my hair luckily Ive used RW's hoping to get some help tomorrow so if I do I will come back. The Maxell x2 dvd-RW have recorded perfectly they play perfectly on my tv too UGH !!!!
    Just cant make out whats happening Ive done copies for friends to
    help them and theyve all been smashing until now ??

Bye

18. Maceace

Maceace Member

I got a similar problem. I got this files: DVD_RTAV. In it is: VR_MANGR.BUP, VR_MANGR.IFO and VR_MOVIE. The movie sort-ta works the others I can't access. How do I convert the video into .avi?

19. attar

attar Senior member

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008