1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sapphire Radeon x800 gto fan help please!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by justeart, Sep 29, 2007.

1. justeart

justeart Member

Hi guys, I bought a Sapphire x800 gto agp card a wile ago and the fan went out. i really like the card so id like to replace the fan but dont know which one would be good to replace it with.

sapphire or ATI wouldnt help me out at all, so if you could link me to a specific fan on new egg or some place like that, id really appreciate it!

thank you!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3. justeart

justeart Member

thanks for the reply! i guess im a bit confused as to how you mount it? or............... where it goes? xD

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, how good are you with assembling PC parts? If you've put a heatsink on a CPU before, it's not hard, if all you've ever done is add a hard disk it might be a bit of a steep learning curve.

5. bergwald

bergwald Member

I installed a ATI Radeon X600 video card approx. 6 months ago and now it is beginning to make a horrible noise. Contacting ATI I was directed to technical support. After a series of choices on their website this was their resolution:

Noisy Fan or Fan Failure
    The fans on ATI graphics cards are not user replaceable parts. To avoid any complications due to any possible damage that may have been caused by the fan's failure or degraded functionality, the entire card should be replaced. If the card is currently under warranty and built by ATI, you can fill out and submit the online warranty request form at http://www.ati.amd.com/rma.

I would think that the fan could be easily replaced [it has two plastic "push pin" mounts] thru the board but the card is still operating so I'm reluctant to attempt it just now. I am posting this as I don't feel well served by ATI in what I consider a rather simple matter.

Daniel

6. justeart

justeart Member

Yep thats what mine was doing before the fan went out, and they told me the exact same thing. I'm really pissed about it because the card is just fine and all it needs is a stupid little fan. I even offered to buy one of the fans off them and they wouldn't let me.

Yeah i looked on the arctic cooling site and saw that that is said to work with my card but unfortunately i couldn't find a tutorial or any information to install it........... i'd hate to buy it and not know how to install it :-/

my computer hardware experience is pretty limited to only swapping out HDD's and video cards........... if i could find a diagram or tutorial or something tho i think i could figure it out.........

anyway hope you have better luck than i did berg :-/

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not really any more difficult to replace a graphics card cooler than it is a CPU cooler. ATi only say that to avoid warranty issues further down the line, standard practice for manufacturers unfortunately.
    It's simple and easy to do though.

8. bergwald

bergwald Member

This must be a typical occurrence for an ATI card or it wouldn't be on their website as a standard response to technical questions/problems.
    I may do some research on card coolers but where my card is [PCI-E slot] there is VERY LITTLE space between cards for anything. Also, one has to consider the cost of a cooling fan & s/h vs. purchasing a new card.
    This computer is almost 2 years old and I will typically replace them sometime soon. I am actually looking for one that will function as a DVDR [timer recordings, audio/video inputs & outputs], as I have numerous problems with my Philips DVDR 3455/H, as well as all the normal functions of a computer.

Daniel

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

the small single slot cooler fans do seem to have had reliability issues. However, the dual slot radial fans made by MEI seem to be fine. Shame they're so noisy!

10. faay

faay Member

guess I need to join the rubbing/grinding fan sound also on my sapphire x800 gto.
    I bought mine May 2006. Tech support said : Could be on its last leg, I suggest you to look for aftermarket heat sink fan to replace the current one on this card. Then suggested thermaltake or artic cooling brand.

11. jony218

jony218 Guest

When my ati 9600xt cooling fan started making loud ginding noises, i disconnected the fan(has small plugin wire. Next I got a 80mm size case fan I had lying around and using plastic spot ties I was able to place it so it would be blowing at the video card heatsink (without touching it). The video card has been running fine for the past year with this fix. If you have the space next to your video card, this is another option for you.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The heatsink on the X800 is somewhat different to the 9600, though. It might work, but since it's probably a radial fan, the standard case fan fix may prove a bit ineffective. You can probably find a replacement fan off ebay.

13. turtleh

turtleh Member

omg, had my x800 gto2 for ABOUT 2 years now, always worked fine. i took it out to dust , when i put it back in it makes the same intermittent noise

now i dontk now what to do

vantec iceburq6 looks ok.... but i still dont know what aftertermarket cooler to get

is it possible to put on a new fan?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Potentially, but I don't know where you'd find one. An aftermarket cooler sounds like a safe bet.

15. jony218

jony218 Guest

I saw a picture of the video card, if you can get that heatsink cover out of the way. You can just use any 80mm fan to blow on it. If you have the space for it, that's the way to go.
    From my expierence those small video card fan's can make a lot of noise, when I installed that 80mm fan in there it was quiet again. And it has work perfectly even when playing all the latest games. For me it was a quick fix, till I found a replacement fan, but it did the job that I won't need a replacement fan after all.