1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Me Not Screw Up

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Auslander, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

serious posts only, please.

this friday, i will have been with my current girlfriend for one month (by date; wednesday was an actual 4 weeks). anyway, i had been flirting with this girl for a solid year trying to win her over, and i really ...well...don't want to screw this up. so, i'm trying to plan a very good night. :)

my current scheme is this: she works until 9:00 pm on friday; i'm going to cut off work about 7:30 to make sure everything is set up. enlisting the help of her roommate, i plan to leave a large bouqet of roses in her room to find when she walks in. i'm heading to a traditional candy store today to pick up the best i can find, and i'll lay this out with the roses. i'm also trying to come up with some kind of small momento that would gain sentimental value (think the size of a zippo...but more feminine). i'll be going to barnes & noble later to check out some art books.

following this, i plan on taking her to dinner at a restaurant modeled after an art gallery. she loves art and architecture, so i figure this is my best bet.

but, i need something to do after dinner. not movies, bowling, clubbing, or anything so casual--i'd like this to be a more romantic night.

so, please all, list some suggestions to help me fill in the blanks.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You could try a walk on the beach, with you two alone. But then again what the hell do I know? I was being serious though...

3. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

go for a stroll around town.. you can make that romantic ;)

as for the gift, what does she like? you could get her an engraved bracelet or something - that will have sentimental value.

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i live in columbia, missouri. no beach for a long, long, loonnnggg drive.

i'm still searching, but right now it looks like we'll wind up on swing in a park after dinner.

i'm putting the present on hold; i've found something good, but i don't want to overdo it on gifts tomorrow night.

thanks for the suggestions so far; please keep them coming. :)

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Sounds like a well laid (if yer lucky :p) plan. One thing makes me wonder, why roses? Many women have thought I was feeling guilty (true or not) when I bought them roses because roses are the "safe bet" and typical. Any florist will have bouquets with Lilies or my wife's favorite, Daisey's. A good mix of different flowers than roses sometimes gets your feelings across better than roses to the right person.
    Most my exes liked red roses with black spray paint streaked in though so you may not wanna listen to me :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  6. deadlove

deadlove Guest

How about a six pack and a Mike Tyson's greatest fights dvd...

Show her what she's letting herself in for :lol:

Seriously.. don't go overboard. It can be quite intimidating, heaps of flowers and all that stuff. Ask her friend who her favourite star/tv show/band is and do something related to that.. Any good cinema in town?.. or a concert.. something like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2007
  7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

roses because they are her favorite flower, and she grows them back home; here, however, she is rose-less. :)

and i do plan to mix some other flowers in.

chocolates have been bought, i'll pick up the flowers tomorrow. the route to dinner and a park has been laid.

it won't be over-the-top. methinx it will be just right :p

there was an independent theater here, but the tore it down. there's *nothing* open after 11:00 pm besides bars and clubs. :-(

8. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

Auslander i live about two hours south east of you, my daughter used to live in columbia, and that being a collge town there are a lot of things to do there, you say you are going to barns&noble why not go there after dinner, and insead of roses why not a boston furn or some kind of a plant, don't get me wrong roses are nice but they don't last verry long, also do they have any places that rent hot tubs by the hour, or why not a good game of pool, another thing that is cool to do,how far is the closest fire tower at, theese are great places to climb up and just look ovet the land at night, i know where i live we have one right outside of town,good luck just one thing don't try to overwelm her, keep things simple! and make her laugh

9. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

opps hit twice please remove

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

there's plenty to do, but like i said, after 11:00 pm, it all involves alcohol, and that's not what i'm shooting for tonight.

barnes and noble closes before we will get to sit down to eat. :-(

roses mean a lot to her, that's what. :) they won't be the only flowers, just the main ones. none of her boyfriends ever bought them for her before, so she enjoys them.

there are no such places as the ones you describe that i can find. pool, bowling, movies...that stuff it out. it doesn't go with the mood i want to set.

i thought about outdoor activities, but it will be well after dark, limiting a lot of stuff. :-(

thanks for the suggestions, all!

11. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Go ghosthunting. or why not have a look for luminous mushrooms? We have glowing mushrooms in the woods near my house.. really weird. They glow green, but that changes to blue if you bang them.. far out!

Failing that it looks like ol' Tyson is in with a chance. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2007
  12. Shardel

Shardel Guest

Saw this a little late for tonight. The most romantic thing you
    could do is take her dancing. As for the flowers, roses are great.
    If you don't want to go overboard, one really nice rose says as
    much as a whole bouquet. Put it in a beautiful cut glass vase.

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

actually, jan, ghost hunting in a graveyard sounds promising >.>

/me heads to google maps

thanks for the suggestions, shardel. unfortunately, i can't dance a bit.

...i did talk the female into taking ballroom dancing classes with me earlier, though. :)

14. billybob

billybob Regular member

How about a nice hillside....hope for some stars....and just lie there gazing at them together, with a small bonfire oor something, and maybe a portable cd player on low with her favourite song...or better, "your" song (as in, the two of you)

15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

alas, we're in the city. not much areas like that, except parks, which tend to close at dark.

the cemetery sounds good >.>

i've got a park possibility lined up, too.

16. billybob

billybob Regular member

hope it goes well for you. You mind if...if all goes well for you, i post a query similar to this in this thread in a few days?

17. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

hey, if this thread can help people get their...social relations right, and people can (please for the love of god) stay close to on topic so it doesn't get closed, then please go right ahead!

18. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

My most sucessful endeavor of this flavor was a small trip to the country side, a romantic picnic on a hillside in Lancaster County followed by a private hot air baloon ride at sunset. After which came Billyboy's suggestion. Wasn't cheap but not as expensive as you might think ... it cost me $200 for a two hour baloon ride over Amish country. It came across really great and made for a great memory even after we went our seperate ways.

Edit: Damn bad typing.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2007
  19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

So Aus, how did it go?

20. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

He must still be recovering.