1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD9 cannot play on SONY DVP-NS55P

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by tekworld, Oct 5, 2007.

1. tekworld

tekworld Member

Hello all,
    I just bought an hong kong movie "Flash Point", insert it to my SONY DVP-NS55P and it says "CANNOT PLAY". the movie is an DVD9 media, so I used Nero Recode to recode the entire DVD to DVD5 format and burn it on an DVD+R media from TDK but the SONY player still give me the same error "CANNOT PLAY" after I success recode the movie to DVD5.
    I did tried to recode using DVDFab but same error.

Does anyone knows the problem and Can help me so that I can burn it and watch it on my SONY DVD Player?
    Thank you for your attention,

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Hi, do a search on how 2 booktype your drive (dvd burner) to DVD-ROM. Usually works only with DVD+R discs. Imgburn can have its booktype changed for certain drives. On some stand alone players, unless the burned dvd is book typed 2 dvd-rom, it(the player) will not b able to play the disc.

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

if your Hong Kong movie is Region 3 and PAL and you live in the USA, which is Region 1 and NTSC then your DVD won't play in your player! It might play in your computer because you have a Region Free DVD-ROM or burner! what you want to do is use AnyDVD to make it set to your Region and then you'll be able to rip it or decode it's encryptions so you can use Nero Recode to burn to a DVD5 and it should play in your player then! I never had a foreign disk before but I think AnyDVD will make it to your specific region~ or make it region free! I know DVDDecrypter can make DVDs REgion free, also.... but DVDDEcrypter is old now! you might have to use AnyDVD with DVDDecrypter..... here are some guides to help you out: http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/Guides.htm

Booktyping is another good idea for compatibility issues! Read more about it and try to booktype your drive into making all your +R media to DVD-ROMs where most players will play them:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php

4. tekworld

tekworld Member

IHoe,
    thanks for the great information.
    this is what i did, open anydvd and "rip video dvd to harddisk" with the setting default region as 1 United States, Canada. after anydvd done with ripping the dvd i used nero to burn it to an DVD+R disc, as i saw the result saying the disc was bookedtype into a DVD-ROM type. I put in the Sony player and its still give me the same error "CANNOT PLAY"
    when i use Nero Recode to burn the movie this is what the info tab in recode shows:

Resolution: PAL 720x576
    Compression: MPEG-2
    Display: 16:9 Wide
    Frame Rate: 25.00 fps
    Picture: Progressive

I tried the DVD Decrypter method on the site you gave me and still doesn't work.
    thanks again for your info.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  5. tekworld

tekworld Member

/sigh
    I used ImTOO DVD Ripper to rip the movie to .avi with sub and then .avi to dvd, burn it using nero. finally i can watch it on SONY. but the quality does not as great as the original.
    thanks all for your help.