AfterDawn Forums

Guide: How to use Friidump (Windows)

This discussion thread has 163 messages.

Hi guys,

Thought i'd post a little miniguide on gow to use Friidump for the dos-illiterate.

Step One: Download the windows installer, or zip file here:
Windows Installer
Windows Zip

Step 2: Opening up the program.

-Click on the start menu, and hit run
-in the prompt, type "cmd" to bring up the command prompt.
(Note: In vista, the prompt is located above the windows orb when clicked.)

Step 3: Locating in MS DOS.

-Once you are in the command prompt, type "cd.." repeatedly until you are at the C:\
-Then, use the "cd" (Change Directory) command until the folder where friidump is located is selected (As shown below)

Step 3: Running the program with the desired parameters

-Because this program is line based, you need to execute the program and all its parameters in the one line.
-You will see the list of parameters when you run the program (As shown below)

Now, what we want to do is have the CD in the drive ready to go. From here its just a matter of typing in the line depending on what we do.
Here is a command to automatically dump the image in your drive (Mine is set to G:\), automatically name it and store it within the friidump folder.
friidump -d g: -a does this command, and you should see something like what is shown below. Only, when you do this, eventually you will see the disc information pop up, as well as the status of the rip and the ETA.

Once you get familiar with how the commands are executed, you can do the other stuff it offers such as being able to name it to whatever you wish. The reality of it, is that its much easier to do just what i did and rename it in windows afterwards.

Now, the important stuff: All Wii games must have the appropriate byte size which is constant for all games. This is 4.37gb. As stated in the rawdump thread, any rips that are off this target are bad.

Finally, you can create a batch file which can save you a lot of time. To do this, open up the cmd prompt and type in edit: <NAMEITSOMETHING>.bat. This will create a batchfile in the C:\ and bring you to a screen where you can retype everything i've done above and save it. That way, you only need to execute that batch file instead of having to retype it over again every time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

There, i hope what i've said makes sense to the DOS-illiterate ones out there. I know it took me a long time how to get the hang of it so i thought i'd go ahead and put it out there for those who might be struggling. Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere!

Stef
▼▼ This topic has 162 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Also as an aside, found that imaging times on the default speed (Which is set to the highest) tend to be around 4 hours...But still, for the people like me who cant get Rawdump to detect the drive, its the only alternative!
THANK U SO MUCH BUDD, i was posting around to see if anyone could teach me and u did, u ARE my savior, now someone just needs to help me with rawdump.., i can detect the disk but it stops dumping..lol
I've used it with my new GDR-H30N drive. Althought it say it's not a supported drive and it reverted back to basic Hitachi mode or something like that to read the disc, it read the Wii disc fine and completed successfully. However, when I burn the iso file to DVD+R disk, my Wii couldn't read it. My Wii has the Wiikey installed and it read DVD+R discs that I created from download Wii iso fine. What give? Is it that hopeless for GDR-H30N drive? I've seen mixed info on this drive. I'm still hopefull that it'll work.
what exactly is this for?
Friidump, the latest ISO ripper for Wii and gamecube games.
thanks man, i just dumped my first 2 games!!!!=D, the game i rented could not be dumped for some reason on rawdump or friidum -__-......but the games i bought could..
No problems dude, i created this guide cause my own issues with learning how to use the program were frustrating in itself.

I just got a wii key installed today in Melbourne, Australia. Now i'm off to the video store :D
Guys do yourselves a favour if you use this and create yourselves a .bat file like i said in the opening post. I never realised how easy it is once you create something like this. Now instead of having to run the cmd then type in all the shortcuts, you just double click the icon! It even closes down when its done ;)

In mine i just write:
cd..
cd..
cd program files
cd friidump 0.3.0
/// THEN TYPE THE RUN PARAMETERS HERE
jfranklin Suspended due non-functional email address
when you type "-d g: -a" where do the iso save i cant find it anywhere

Im no hero never was
Gohdan Suspended due non-functional email address
LOL. I'm a NEWB!

I've dumped a Wii disc, so I know my drive is compatible, even though it says it isn't. But I'm trying to dump a GC disc, and it says it is a Wii disc - the file ends up being 4.3 GB for a GC dump. Any ideas why this is happening, or how to fix it?
Originally posted by jfranklin:
It saves to the directory you have friidump in. Try searching in windows for it if you cant find it!
Hmmm...Can't use this for GameCube games? Trying to back up my AR v1.2 for GC. RawDump 2.0 don't work, and this one don't work too. Help!
Not sure about gamecube games mate never tried it. Has anyone?
links don't work anymore!
anyone got a different place to download it?? Thanks!
Originally posted by sld87:
Guys do yourselves a favour if you use this and create yourselves a .bat file like i said in the opening post. I never realised how easy it is once you create something like this. Now instead of having to run the cmd then type in all the shortcuts, you just double click the icon! It even closes down when its done ;)

In mine i just write:
cd..
cd..
cd program files
cd friidump 0.3.0

hi newby here how do I type the run parameter..You mean just type "RUN" thanks.
Originally posted by babylons5:
I've used it with my new GDR-H30N drive. Althought it say it's not a supported drive and it reverted back to basic Hitachi mode or something like that to read the disc, it read the Wii disc fine and completed successfully. However, when I burn the iso file to DVD+R disk, my Wii couldn't read it. My Wii has the Wiikey installed and it read DVD+R discs that I created from download Wii iso fine. What give? Is it that hopeless for GDR-H30N drive? I've seen mixed info on this drive. I'm still hopefull that it'll work.
babylons5 did you ever get yours to work? I got the same drive and when it's reading the disc the drive light never blink but its act as if reading. hope this drive work cause I would hate to get another one..
Originally posted by jfranklin:
It saves to the directory you have friidump in. Try searching in windows for it if you cant find it!
Newbie needs Help!!! I used friidump and it appeared to finish. My hard drive also is reduced by 4 plus gigs. friidump was installed in the program files directory. I searched all over but could not find the iso.

Thanks in advance.
Originally posted by mohlub:

In mine i just write:
cd..
cd..
cd program files
cd friidump 0.3.0

hi newby here how do I type the run parameter..You mean just type "RUN" thanks.
As in, friidump -d g: -a

Hope that helps.

And in regards to finding the search. What iso did you burn? It will tell you the exact name of it (Or just have a guess its usually the full name of the game) and do a search. Or just search for *.iso
Oh almost forgot, the drive "g:" is what i use for ripping, yours will no doubt be a different one, just replace with that.
Nice post sld87. Here is something to add for newbs that can't find their iso. I found that if you use the -a switch (for autodump), friidump will name the output image after the name of the game disc. The problem is that some Wii disc titles have characters in them that are invalid when used in file names, for example ? ! < > (i think you get the picture.) Friidump will appear to be working and eventually finish in about 4 to 4.5 hours but Windows will ultimately reject the file name because it is invalid and no file will be created. To work around this you need to NOT use the -a switch and use something like "friidump.exe -d <insert drive letter here eg d:> -i game.iso -4". Just to clarify your command line should look like this: "friidump.exe -d d: -i game.iso -4". The output file will be created in the same directory that you are running friidump from for example c:\friidump\. For a full list of the command options, refer to the readme.txt included with friidump, or type friidump.exe -h in command prompt.
I'm planning on getting a wiikey soon and in preparation I thought I'd try using friidump. I don't have the recommended LG drives (and haven't found any available except an obscure town in Canada on the east coast - I'm in Portland, OR so that sort of ruled that out).

friidump said the drive was incompatible but would use hitachi mode. The resulting iso is the size it should be. Any way of verifying that it is a successful dump before I create some coasters? In lieu of that I'm probably going to get the wiikey next week or so.

My laptop has a TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L523B drive. Any comments as to whether that will work for me? If so an recommended DVD brands formats?

Appologies if this has been covered in previous threads.
Hey im following your steps but when i do it it take about an hour to dump the game i am told it should take atleast 2 hours and when i check the .ISO file it says its 4.37 GB but when i put the game in my wii it says that it is unable to read the disc I hav a wiikey and i am burning on to a DVD-R Verbatim could any body help me out?
Originally posted by isat:
Hey im following your steps but when i do it it take about an hour to dump the game i am told it should take atleast 2 hours and when i check the .ISO file it says its 4.37 GB but when i put the game in my wii it says that it is unable to read the disc I hav a wiikey and i am burning on to a DVD-R Verbatim could any body help me out?

I am having the same problem with this software and the GDR-H30N drive. I tried two different way by first doing the -a and then -i. Both times produced un-readable discs.

Anyone has had success?
I myself have tried this with the GDR-H301N. The dump came out correct size and everything. and burned it to a DVD-R Taiyo Yuden... And the wii didnt read the disk. got a DRE. I think you have to have the specific GDR drives for this to work... I found mine on craigslist for 15... got lucky... But yeah I think you need the GDR drives for it to work properly.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.