1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help - starview problem

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by stewarty3, Oct 21, 2007.

1. stewarty3

stewarty3 Member

New to this so be patient, just got a starview box and trying to enter the new codes but when I press menu 1570 to get to the navagation menu nothing happens???? Anybody know the answer.

2. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

You might need to update the firmware , can you press Menu > System Information and tell me what the API is

Also we will need to know if you have a clone , genuine or "THE B0X"

To see pics , go to the link at the bottom of my sig

3. stewarty3

stewarty3 Member

I have checked the box and it looks like a genuine one.
    The API says - ver 2.58e, boot version 7:0.
    Hope this makes sense to you.
    Cheers

4. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

You will need to update your b0x

You will need a null modem cable DB9F to DB9F.

Null modem info

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=L71BT&DOY=2m6

If your pc does not have a serial port you will need a USB to serial port adapter to use in conjunction with the null modem cable.

USB Adapter info

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx...t10&doy=search&MenuName=USB to Serial Adaptor

These two cable links are only for reference as they can be purchased alot cheaper on fleabay.

All firmware/loader can be found in the link at the end of my post marked Eamos Library.

You will need the GTromloader, (Starview Software Uploader), found in the Starview software folder of the link.

You will need version 4.00 firmware for GENUINES found in "Starvi*w" firmware folder.

And please download the Starview PDF guide,(similar instructions, this will give you step by step instructions on how to do everything.This can be found in the Starview Documentation folder in the link.

5. stewarty3

stewarty3 Member

Ordered the cables from fleabay, once i get them i'll give it a go.
    If I struggle I'll get back in touch, cheers for now.
    MON THE HOOPS!!!

6. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

No problem , just drop back you you need more help

7. stewarty3

stewarty3 Member

got the cables, followed the instructions up to - Click on BIN File & locate your Starview bin file. I done this and when I went to down load it comes up - Can't open serial port.
    Last error:The system cannot find the file specified.

HELP

8. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Sorry about my delay in replying

Try select either COM1 , COM2, COM3 or COM4 and see which one works

If all that fails , Have a look in "My Computer" and see which port you are using

1. Go to the Start Menu
    2. Right click on "My Computer"
    3. Select "Properties"
    4. Click on the "Hardware" tab
    5. Click on "Device Manager"
    6. Click the + sign next to "Ports (COM & LPT)"
    7. One of the listed ports should indicate which port is connected to (e.g. COM1, COM2, COM3, etc.)
    8. Go back to your GT ROM software program that you use to transfer data and make sure it is looking at the correct port.
    9. You should be able to transfer data once the correct port is selected

9. stewarty3

stewarty3 Member

Can't see port in the device manager, think it's because of the cable to connect the starview box to the computer, once I plug that into the computer it says 'USB serial controller' and it trys to instal it but fails.

10. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

In Celts absence :) Have you downloaded the driver files that came with the adapter?

11. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

12. stewarty3

stewarty3 Member

Cheers for all the help so far. Downloaded the drivers, then downloaded the GTRom Loader, it completed the download and now the box has 4 lights flashing across it like nightrider. Left it like that since last night and no change. Tried switching it off and leaving it off for a while but it's still the same?????

13. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

That means it was a bad flash , Make sure you put the box on Stand-By when flashing , if you cant do it again try this bad flash guide

If you have a Bad Flash with software have a Read of This might help

If you have a bad flash, switch it off then on at the back & make sure its on standby.
    Then Flash as normal. This also applies to flashing (up & downloading) the channel data file.
    If for some reason you cannot flash and have set and checked everything else such as ports and connections,
    then you should switch off at the back wait a moment then on again. Then try to flash again.

If for some reason it won't go into standby and you see a constant moving green line.
    you may want to wait to see if it goes into standby or switches on eventually or re-flash from this state
    though it may not work. Some users have reported that flashing an older firmware 1st that was working,
    then trying again may help. If your flash has failed or corrupted try again but 1st flash back the firmware
    that was on before your failed flash. Re download the firmware just in case you had a corrupted file then try again.
    If you do flash from the moving green line state at boot, you will see the % increase on the GTRom loader
    software but not on the Starview. Toward the end of the flash you'll see a Flash Burning message in GTRom.
    Make sure you wait until all is finished and you see the Download complete pop up message in GTRom.

Another method you can use to recover from a bad flash, eg. the box won't boot to standby and is stuck
    in pre standby, either after about 3 or 4 moving green lines the box sticks with the green line not moving
    at all or it keeps moving forever. If the box will NOT RE-FLASH as normal from on or standby, try this but it
    may take a few goes to work.

Connect the box to the pc with your cable but switch it off at the back. Load the correct
    firmware bin file into GTRom & set it to the correct com port, and select App file only then hit Download.
    Only then switch on at the back to power on the box. It may take a few sec. so wait at least 30 sec.
    (If it doesn't work 1st time try also waiting a couple of sec. to switch on after pressing download in the loader.) It may take more than 1 try to work, but eventually you'll see the loader kick in and the % bar increase. You won't see the % on the Starview though. Only green lines moving left to right. Towards the end of the flash you'll see a message in GTRom saying FLASH BURNING. Then it will reach 100% and wait for the download complete pop up box to appear & the box will reboot back to factory setup. You will have lost any channel data previously on the box & will need to rescan & switch on EMU and set the box up from scratch.

If you don't know the state of the box switch it on see what happens see if there already has been a channel
    scan done before-meaning there are channels on it working or not. If so tune to an unencrypted channel as above
    then standby then re-flash.

14. stewarty3

stewarty3 Member

Right, got over the bad-flash and downloaded the correct bin file. Scanned for all channels and followed the instructions. Now when I try to watch Sky Sports 1 for example it come up with 'data is being updated' and it continues to do this. BBC and ITV work fine only problem with the scrambled channels

15. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Pres Menu then 1570 and make sure the EMU key is ON

16. stewarty3

stewarty3 Member

Ignore last post, put in the new codes and I'm working.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Another couple of questions. Is there any easy way to get your channels into a better running order. How come some channels are wide-screen and some have the black gap top and bottom. And where will I find Sky Sports 2, I tried the manual search with a frequency I found on another post but it dosn't seem to be there???

17. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Sorry to say most channels are broadcast in 4:3 with letterboxing so look crap on a widescreen TV. As long as the Starview is set to 16:9 and the TV the same then that's the best you will get until the channels get their act together.

In order to test your widescreen tv on 16:9 is to set the Eurovox on fullscreen put it on bbc news24 which is correctly broadcast in 16:9 and this particular channel transmits the correct pids picked up by the box and sent to the tv which displays the full widescreen image.

I cant remember if you are in UK or Ireland

Do a manual scan and it should be found at the end of your channel list

UK - SKY SPORT 2 411.000
    IRE- Sky sport 2 355.500