1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error 5, PLEASE HELP...i need my xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by Corey090, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Corey090

Corey090 Guest

OK well first off, this is my first thread i have ever posted on afterdawn...Any help would be greatly appreciated...
    So heres my story.....I softmodded my xbox with unleashed x through the mech assault exploit.. i was going through all the files showin some of my buddies what i could do through unleashed x..i must have unlocked my hardrive by mistake becuz i was just clicking stuff like a noob...Now whenever i turn my xbox on it does not boot any cd..it goes straight to the customer support screen with error 05...i should also let it be known that i did not make any backups....i want to fix this using no money...please do not reccomend a hard mod chip...that costs money that i dont have....i have almost anything that i would need from computers such as IDE cables and that sort...im a noob wen it comes to this stuff...i dont know what an eeprom is and stuff like that...any help in great detail would be awesome..PLEASE HELP ME!!

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

The drive has been unlocked!

What you can now do is plug the Xbox HDD into a PC and use a program called 360Xplorer (in my software section). For a quick guide on how to use Xplorer360, go HERE

Go in and get the eeprom file that your softmod created!

It should be in Partition 4\UDATA\2xxxxxxxxxxx\000000000000 , if not have a search around.

When you get that file back to your PC, you can then relock the drive using XboxHDM!

The tutorial for locking can be found HERE, scroll to the bottom.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  3. Corey090

Corey090 Guest

thank you so much man...its late right now but im gonna get started on that tomorrow...i have tried hooking my hd to my PC but my pc never read it...do i need that first program you mentioned, 360Xplorer, in order for my computer to see i have another hd plugged in?

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

It's a windows program, you need it to read the FATX partition!

5. Corey090

Corey090 Guest

Ok well i got into the hd using 360Xplorer!! wow that was a big step i could have never accomplished if it wasnt for you, so thankyou..But im not done yet..i found my eeprom..it was in partition 4/apps/configmagic/data..sumthin like that...
    There is a few options tho...there is an EEPROM.bin, EEPROM.cfg and a couple others but i think the others a pointless...now that i have found them, what am i supposed to do next..im guessing extract them to a folder on my PC but i am not sure what to extract or what to do in general...a little more guidence would be appreciated...thankyou...

6. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Yep, cool!

Your home free, we'll get you going!

Use this guide...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/533828

Make sure the eeprom is correct using 'LiveInfo' just like in the guide!

If it is, you don't need to complete the whole guide, simply drop the eeprom.bin (all lowercase) into the eeprom folder like in the guide and leave the other folders (C + E) empty.

Make the ISO, burn the disc to a CD-RW, insert into the PC and restart the PC with the Xbox HDD plugged in (Not the PC's HDD).

Skip to the bottom of the guide where it asks you to press '3' at the first menu.

Lock the drive and re-install it into your Xbox!

All Done!

;)

7. Corey090

Corey090 Guest

ok well i extract eeprom.bin to my pc...but then it just says eeprom...not eeprom.bin which is what i extracted..not sure why..in my xboxhdm, it says make-iso-win. and it doesnt have the bat at the end. I am supposed to extract xboxhdm to my pc when downloaded correct? i had to download winrar just for my pc to read it..when i put my eeprom in the eeprom folder for xboxhdm...it doesnt have the same image next to it as in the tutorial..it just says eeprom BIN file 1KB...And when i click make iso the command prompt pops up but only momentarily and when it goes away, nothing new pops up, such as the linux.iso that i am supposed to click on...not sure why but my stuff just looks a little different than the tutorial and is not fuctioning like it should....when i put the eeprom in LiveInfo i did get the serial number, but i have nothing to compare it to, so i dont know if it is correct. the sticker on the bottom of my xbox is gone and this is not the original hd the xbox came with.i nuked the last one and sent it to a personal shop around here and they put new guts in my xbox..so i dunno...still stuck..not sure if i made myself clear on whats goin on so just ask me specific questions if i am confusing you...thnk you...

8. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Ok, the reason you have no extensions on the end of your files is because you haven't enabled them!

Within a folder, click on 'Tools, Folder Options, View' and uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types'!

Don't worry about the icon, that's just my PC and a program I have installed!

You seem to be doing it correct, the .iso file will be made (try also 'Show hidden files and folders' above the extensions option above!

9. Corey090

Corey090 Guest

wow...ur basically and "effing" miracle worker..this should be my last question...it made the linux.iso just like you said...but on ur tutorial yours is a power iso or sumthin like that...mine is a WinRAR archive..and its only 34KB...im guessing its only 34KB bk i didnt put in the dash files..only the eeprom like you instructed me...but now im not sure if i can burn the winrar file....i try to extract but it doesnt let me...im scared to burn it if thats not what im sposed to do..i dont wanna mess anything up....once u answer this, my next post should be a big thankyou for all your help and i will have accomplished locking my hd...thnks..and sorry bout all the questions..

10. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

It's not a Winrar file, that's just what is associating with it!

My tutorial will show you how to burn it!

The blank XboxHDM cd (containing only an eeprom) is about 13MB.

Maybe you need to download the one from my software page...?

11. Corey090

Corey090 Guest

ok..im at school now so i will just redownload xboxHDM again, from your software page when i get home...

Also i downloaded nero version 8.1 or sumthin like that..its the newest one but it looks nothing like the one in ur tutorial..If you could let me know what version your working with, that would be great..because i cant figure out how to burn with this version..there is know "burn image to disc" button that i can find..

Thanks.

12. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

hey chunkhead, i just need to ask you a question didn't feel the need to start a new thread, i have a similar question, i have made many xbox hd's but i am stumped on this one for some reason, i have a MAXTOR 6L250R0, when trying to lock the hd i type "lockhd -a" then it says ready to attempt locking, but it just goes to the device status right after, i even tried locking with the password and still no go. does this mean that the drive is not lockable or am i doing something wrong?? any help is much appreciated. THANKS ALOT

13. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

@ Corey090

Use the "burn image to disc", navigate to the linux.iso file that you made and Nero will just burn it! :)

@ 98sohc

Does your drive say "QuickVIEW" on it? There's rumors of that model not locking, regardless of what I say...

You seem to be doing everything correctly, I mainly stick with the Seagate + WD for exactly this reason!

14. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

i know that is funny you say that, i does in fact have the quickview on it, i have only used seagate and WD as well, this my first maxtor and definately my last. thanks, at least now i can stop pulling my hair out as to why it wasn't working, thanks alot.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  15. Corey090

Corey090 Guest

The problem is that i CANNOT] find "burn image to disc." That is why i am asking for your version of nero so that my version is identicle to that of your tutorial..Im so close to getting this done..sorry for all the questions, i know its kinda irratating..Thankyou..

16. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

The one in the tutorial is v6.3 (this only works on XP)

I now have Vista so I have upgraded to 7.9.6.0

You'll want to use the 'Nero Express'

The new versions should look like this...

[​IMG]

or from Nero itself...

[​IMG]

17. Corey090

Corey090 Guest

Thank you chunkhead...it worked..but now i have a new and improved problem..i "locked" my hardrive but now i get an error 06..i know this means that the hd cannot be unlocked and was locked with the wrong eeprom...but how is it the wrong eeprom if i got it off of 360xplorer straight from my harddrive...

ill try and explain how it looks in my 360xplorer..

it goes from 0-4 with partitions..
    I click the 4th one...

now i tried to find the e:/UDATA/2xxxxxxx/0000000/backup but its nowhere to be found...UDATA is in partition 4 but there is no 2xxxxx file..there is a 000000 but there is nothing in that folder..

The "wrong" eeprom that i burned to the disc came from..
    partition 4/APPS/ConfigMagic/Data..then it showed eeprom.bin, .cfg..and a couple others....i took the eeprom.bin from that file...but obviosly its the wrong one..

I found another eeprom.bin in a folder i found called 'backup linux'.
    Is this the correct one? Im not sure why my hd doesnt have the 2xxxxxx file...is there a chance it may be hidden somehow?

This also may be the reason its not working....about 2 years ago i tried to get around the halo 2 modding patch..the first one they came out with to stop modders...i accidentily deleted somthing and i was getting the error screen when the xbox booted up..im not sure what error and i didnt know there was a way to fix it, so for by birthday my mom sent it to a local repair shop...i didnt want to buy a new xbox because mine has alot of detail done to the outside of it...i know they replaced the hd but im not sure what else...after they fixed it i was able to do everything a stock console could do...is the fact that i got a new hd the reason i dont have those files or the reason its giving me the inccorect eeprom?...

sorry about all the typing but i really wanna save my xbox if its possible still....thanks alot chunkhead...

18. Corey090

Corey090 Guest

Mr.Chunkhead....i love you..lol...i finally fixed it..im playin halo2 online right now....you really helped me out man..i wouldnt have an xbox right now if it wasnt for you..i really wanna say, with all sincerity, Thankyou...

now im on to some other projects...i think im gonna try to make my xbox wireless, without the adapter..i think i saw a tutorial on how to do that a couple days ago..if u got any suggestions, lemme know...once again..THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!!! YOUR AN XBOX MONSTER!!!

19. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Hey, no problems, that's why I'm here!

I'm assuming you unlocked the HDD again with the disc you just made, made a new disc with the 'other' eeprom, locked the drive and it was fine!?

Nice!

I have written a wireless tutorial. Follow that and you can't go wrong! Mine works great!

;)

20. whitewolf

whitewolf Member

right here goes.... i recently restored 5 xboxes yes 5... 3 of them are working fine just had to rebuild the hard drives, pretty simple :D
    but on my forth and fifth xboxes came the trouble. when i booted xbox 4 up i got error 16 so i completely rebuild the hdd using xboxhdm 1.9
    everything went well then when i booted it up, i saw the white microsoft logo and i thought yes, but it just keeps loading the microsoft logo screen, so i know that x-box is working just need to get it to boot up properly: yes i used the latest dash

and my second problem is on x-box 5 is when i booted it up i just get error 5. and ive no eeprom back up of that x-box i cant be arsed to take the eeprom chip out, im looking at a mod chip to help me get past the solution on both but is there any other way to do it cus id rather spend my money on modding up the x-boxes ie the controllers, jewel casings putting lights in ect....