1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honest opinion on onkyo TX-SR705

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by morguex, Oct 22, 2007.

1. morguex

morguex Guest

Hey all

I just purchased a pioneer 9120txh, The sound quality on this unit is horrible. It's going back to the store.
    I just wanted some honest opinions on the TX-SR705.(sound quality, likes, dislikes).

Thanks All

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Hi, honestly, I'm not much into receivers. If u want sweeet music with killer (sledgehammer) bass then u need 2 goto basics which r preamp and separate amp.The amp in stereo which I love is Bryston's 4B-ST or the newer 4B-SST with over 3000 watts RMS per channel (and 60amps delivered). Goto ebay 4 the best price on used equipt, and remember they (Bryston) have a 20 year transferable warranty on the equiptment and their stuff is built like a tank.For a preamp, I like anything good.

3. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Sorry, but that was 300 not 3000 watts per channel. Too little sleep and too many zeros.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

I haven't actually heard one, but others who have (at home theater forums), like the new Onkyos a lot. Knowing that Onkyo makes quality equipment, and with all the new features (HDMI processing v. 1.3, 1080p upconversion, etc.) makes it a good pick. If I could afford a new receiver, it would probably be this one. Since it processes the high res audio from HD DVD and Blu ray players, these have become very popular. I don't think you'll go wrong with this receiver.
    Good luck!

5. morguex

morguex Guest

Well thats another eason I'm sending back the pioneer, I cannot get the Dolby hd and dts HD decoders to light up on the pioneer display and From what I've been told unless you have a HD-DvD player with 5.1 rca output's your not gonna hear the true hi-res unprocessed signal.
    So basically I'm alittle annoyed with Toshiba stating that the HD-A2
    has these decoders buit in, because they are useless with the A2 model.
    And i'm not about to drop 800.00 for a new toshiba with the 5.1 rca outputs. I think this is a very shady practice by these companies, They are not truly lying, but they are not telling the whole truth about these new hi-res formats.
    Anyway, i'm just gonna take the pioneer back, bide my time until this bullshit is sorted out. I guess thats what you get for buying this stuff before it's all sorted out.

6. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

More than anything else nowadays, I see home theater receivers boasting mega watt outputs and high def decoding capability at bargan basement prices. It is buyer beware in that to get life like performance you need large amounts of wattage and current output ( high current capability to drive the wooffers to get "sledgehammer bass" response)that is sustanable and not momentary. Assuming you do not care for class D amplification (Switching amps), then you need class A or A/B amps.This is going to be expensive. Also a resonablely priced processor (Outlaw Audio online products are a good value for the money).That said, I just broke the bank for most people.Remember a good home theater system will last for years and can be enjoyed weekly and in the end is a good value( look at all that you save from going to the theater). Buying poorly built equiptment, eventhough it has a good name- remember even quality name brands have introductory lines with extreme compromises built in just to save a few bucks in the bottom line- will only dissappoint in the end. Beg your wife and splurge, you'll be glad you did (go separates).

7. morguex

morguex Guest

Well right now i'm running all integra equipment, reciever, dvd player, and a cd player.
    To be honest i have no clue what I was thinking when I bought the pioneer unit, I guess I got caught up in the Dolby and dts HD hype thing.
    I can't say it enough, the pioneer unit is absoulte crap compared to integra, When I listen to the pioneer unit, it sounds so dead and lifeless. I guess it's ok for people who aren't that fussy about good sound, But when you're used to good quality equipment you just can't go back to big box store stuff.
    O well live and learn.

8. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Fellow audiophile, once you hear and expierence quality, you can't go back. Please at your leasure demo some Bryston amps (4B-SSTs or even some 7B-SSTs in home theater mode). You'll hear the difference and be glad you did.

9. morguex

morguex Guest

I was checking out some outlaw audio on the net, That gear looks so nice. It just seems to scream quality and i love the nice clean face plate.
    I'll have to listen to some of that gear.

10. morguex

morguex Guest

OK, I was checking out the audio outlaw 970 PrePro/7075 Pwr Amp combo, I read a few reviews, this stuff sounds like a sweet pairing.
    Whats your opinion on this combo?

11. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Hi, pre/pro pretty basic, but does the job(better than alot of the stuff I've seen selling). Double check HDMI ability. Amp ,I've seen better, like I said, check out some Bryston stuff and the goto ebay 2 buy. If u buy on ebay make sure u get year code date and s/n. Bryston can give the skinnie on the stuff by simply calling them on their 800 number. Their website is bryston.ca

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007