AfterDawn Forums

major xbox 360 problem

This discussion thread has 25 messages.

hi i got an xbox 360 a couple of months back and i modded the toshiba samsung drive. now i have 3 red lights flashing with an error code 0003. when i power it up the fans spin for 2 seconds and then stop. the gpu and cpu look good they are not burnt i guess. i cant send my console to xbox too as i upened it up and modded the drive too. plus i ran my xbox for a long time without a cover and a fan blowing air every time the xbox was on. so no heating issues at all.
What do i do now just get a new 360 ???
▼▼ This topic has 24 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
sorry if there was any misunderstanding but the 360 was flashed as soon as i got it and it worked properly for 2 months...
could be a bad power supply with that error code.

normally pissed off
cant be the power supply i tried with 2 different units same problem
please help
if i get a new 360 can i swap the dvd drive from my old one even if it is not the same brand??
please help ...
I think your drive is tied to your motherbard as to they are programed to work w/eachother. My sugestion to you is if your going to swap out the drive you might as well swap out the whole inside. Al least you get a new 360 all together.
but my modded 360 does not work... that is why i want to take my old 360 drive and put it in the new one...
But you modded the drive. The motherboard has nothing to do w/modding. Hopefuly you can get a xbox 360 w/a Benq drive inside it. They are flashable now . The 79's are the ones you got to look for since they are not flashable yet. I called mine in to M$ yesterday for the 3ROD and going to send it back for repairs. I hear alot of people either get their sameone back fixed or the get a refurbished one. Either way you get one working.
What i am trying to say is that i dont know how to mod the drive nor do i have the equipment to do it. one of my friend did the mod for me. so i was just wondering if in the new 360 i could put my old drive in and that the the new 360 with the old drive would work ok ???
NO sorry the drive is whats flashed. If you get a new drive it would have to be flashed as well so you would be starting from scrach. hats why I sugested that if you are going to do the swap just get the whole inside unit. Here is the link below that showes you how to flash the New Beng drive that come w/the 360 now. You cant get the old samsung or toshibe drive anymore. Hope this helps you out. You will need a SATA connection card if you dont have one. I find them for about $20 on the net(ebay or newegg)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/579442#3507789
I am sorry i still dont understand i think i am dumb. so it will not be possible to put my old drive into the new 360 and make it work right ??
no sorry. Just replace the whole inside unit and start over on the modding the xbox 360.

So your options is either go to the store and swap the inside out or send it back to microsoft for repairs witch will take 3-4weeks.
Can't you just get the key from the New drive and swap keys from the modded drive.Put the new drivekey number on the old modded drive.
ok...

you can try the AWESOME TOWEL trick for shits and giggles....look it up on youtube if not sure what i mean...if that doesnt work....

..try reflashing the drive with the correct firmware, if you dont have the original firmware, or it backed up...then you fucked.....you dont have the drivekey backed up to reflash onto the new xbox dvd romdrive.....

the only thing you can do is replace the mobo and dvd rom....which is stupid....or just go buy another one....you cant do anything unless you have your xbox 360 dvd rom drive key to reflash on to your new xbox 360 dvd rom....

good luck
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Nov 2007 @ 13:15
i cannot send the 360 to microsoft and i dont want to. i just want to get a new 360 and put my old drive in it.
well buy another and do the whole inside swap thats the only way to go and going to work again since you dont want to send it in to M$
so if i just open up the new 360 and put my old drive in it should work right ???
well you cant just buy a new 360 and put your hacked drive in it without having the hacked drives key....

why would you buy a new 360, take all the parts out of your old 360, just to use your old case??? thats redundant

you dont have the drive key for your "bricked" 360 then your screwed....you need to have the drive key in order to flash it onto your new drive then your SOL!

just flash your new 360 with the firmware....and your back in bisness....im sure theres a bunch of tutorials somewhere

::hint hint look at top of forums page::wink wink::
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Nov 2007 @ 13:47
what is a drive key ???
a drive key is a key that is placed on the cdrom and on the xbox 360 memory

if you flashed your 1st drive, then the origional firmware will be on your pc somewhere....if you bought it preflashed....then contact the person who did it for you and get the key from him......

i think there is a way to extract the drive key, but im not sure how to do that....mabie someone on here could help you in that area.

( good luck ive posted for help a couple of times here and all i get is the same 2 people giving me the run arround)

if your drive keys do not align...you'll just have another bricked drive...or 360....then you'll be really crying

SO if i ws in your position, i would google search HOW TO pull your 360 dvd rom drive key from your PC (which you will have to open your 360 and hook your 360's dvd rom to your PC for the process which you have to have correct hardware...more tutorial reading)......or just reflash your new xbox 360's drive...

IMHO depending on what dvd rom drive you have would depend on what to do....if your 1st drive was a hitachi....i eould just mod the new 360....if your 1st drive was a samsung and your new 360 is a hitachi....stick with the samsung, their more reliable.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Nov 2007 @ 13:55
my first drive is a toshiba samsung. i got it flashed by someone and there is no way i can get the key from him. so i guess i have to flash the new drive myself but i am such a noob at all these things and i have read a lot of manuals on flashing the 360 but it seems very complicated. i can open up stuff with ease, that is not a problem.
is the flashing of the 360 really as big a problem as i am making it out to be ?

And if you read my first post i explained what the problem with my 360 is. is there any way i can fix it myself ???
if you can open your computer and find the cd rom then you can do this....goto http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/488409
and read over it....it will help you get off the ground..
after read over this and find your DVD rom and go over it a few times
http://www.360mods.net/Downloads/get=61.html

i think youll be a pro in a week

also here are some 360 code errors that might help in you diagnostics

i belive you issue is with the 360 getting clean power.....try cleaning all power connections with rubbing alcahol or a static free electronic solvant.

look at this and try again.....--==Console Reset Codes==--
Clear All Installed Game Updates and Console Cache

1. Go to the "system" blade
2. Select "memory"
3. Press Y on the HD symbol
4. Press X,X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X
5. A message will appear saying: "Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?"
6. Select Yes

Clear Any Failed system updates that cause the console to error.

1. With the console off, press and hold the sync up button (the small white one)
2. While holding the sync button press the power button to turn on the console
3. Continue to hold the sync button until the Console has booted up completely.
4. During the boot process the console should clear any failed updates, allowing you to use it normally.

--==SECONDARY ERROR CODES==-
The specific type of hardware failure can be determined by a "hidden" error code

* Turn the xbox 360 on, and wait till the 3 red lights are flashing.
* Press and hold the sync up button (the small white one), while holding that button press the eject button.
* The LEDs will now blink the first number in the code (as described below).
* Release the eject button and press it again.
* The LEDs will now blink the second number of the code.
* The LEDs will now blink the third number of the code.
* The LEDs will now blink the forth number of the code.
* The LEDs will go back to the 3 red flashing lights.

You should be able to determine the difference between the 3 flashing lights and the error code lights by the rate in which they flash.

Here is how you interpret the LEDs to get the code number:

* All four lights flashing - 0
* One light flashing - 1
* Two Lights flashing - 2
* Three lights flashing - 3

0001 power supply problem
0002 Network Interface problem
0003 Power problem could be the PSU could be the GPU/CPU, somehow the console isn't getting clean power from the power supply.
0010 There is a problem with the Southbridge Chip usually dealing with how it connects to the mainboard (cold solder joint/bridged solder joints)
0011 over heating - If you are receiving this error after disassembling your console make sure to all 8 of the heatsinc screws are tightened securely to the board/heatsink holes.
0012 over heating
0013 over heating
0020 (Not yet known, possibly overheating)
0021 This can be caused by two completely different things either:
A. DVD Drive Time out - Can be caused by problems with a firmware flash. This is also speculated to sometime be caused by a problem with the southbridge chipset on the motherboard based on how it connects to the DVD drive.
B. GPU error, generally caused by a poor connection to the mainboard (cold solder joints/bridged solder joints) See error 102 for more information
0022 CPU error, generally caused by a poor connection to the mainboard (cold solder joints/bridged solder joints). This can also be triggered by an error with the TSOP.
0023 (not yet known)
0101 (not yet known)
0102 GPU Error, this is usually caused by a cold solder joint between the GPU and the mainboard.
There are two theories to fixing this one deals with the "X" clamps that hold down the chips. The other involves re-Heating the chips. DO NOT attempt either of these if your console is still under warranty. If your console is still under warranty return it to the store where it was purchased or call MS to have it replaced.
[/list]0103 GPU Error this is usually caused by bridged solder points where the GPU connects to the mainboard. see error 0102 for more detailed information
0110 GPU Error this is usually caused by cold solder joints where the GPU connects to the mainboard. see error 0102 for more detailed information
0200 (not yet known)
1000 (not yet known)
1001 (not yet known)
1002 (not yet known)
1003 Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it
1010 Hard Drive Error, Can be caused buy a corrupt or missing eProm. See also E68 above
1011 (not yet known)
1012 (not yet known)
1013 (not yet known) possibly a dashboard update error
1020 (not yet known)
1021 (not yet known)
1022 There is a 90% chance it's a scaler chip problem (the "ANA" or "HANA" chip near the AV cable connection) it can also be caused by a faulty AV cable so check that first. In rare cases it is a problem with the GPU.
1023 DVD drive not connected, connect DVD drive to boot
1030 This error deals with the Ethernet port's controller chip, a dead chip may not cause the error but removing the Ethernet controller chip does, it may also be caused by other Ethernet related problems.
1031 (not yet known)
1032 (not yet known)
1033 (not yet known)
1444 and up There is no "4" in the error codes four lights is a "0" go back and check your code again.

=============================

=============================
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Nov 2007 @ 14:15
I know there is a flash drive for the benq now. Do you know if it is the same as the regular flash for the samsung and toshiba
i am in need of help my friends 360 was working no mods. he went to turn on next day and it will not recognize games but reads everything else. it says put disc in 360. so i tried modding drive to fix no luck.
ordered new drive and put firmware flash with correct key and this drive does same thing can anyone help me
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.