1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DvdXCopy Platinum -- How to Copy a Copy?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by garzajd, Nov 20, 2003.

1. garzajd

garzajd Member

Ok I know alot of people hate the DvdXcopy suite, but I for one dont mind (it does the simple copy with one step). I know how to remove the Backup Warning which to be honest I dont care if its there or not. What I have noticed that I can not do is make a copy of an already copied disk. For example I have the movie "gladiator" I make my backup using DvdXCopy.. My original becomes damaged so I am left with my backup copy. I want to make a backup of the backup, but DvdXcopy doesnt detect the backup as an Original Dvd. I know I can copy this using other programs, but my question is simply how or what does DvdXCopy do to make it so that the backups are not recognized as originals? The only thing I can see is the 321 discalimer and the archive.txt file that it adds. Any help on this? Its not the end of the world as I have been using dvdshrink more and more - but my curiosity has got me

2. RWG

RWG Regular member

To backup a DVD X COPY or any 321Studios backed up DVD run DVD Decrypter on it, extract all files to your HD then burn it using a late version of Nero 5 or any Nero 6. Select DVD-Video.

In that 321Studios Archive.txt file is a number, I refer to it as a watermark but it's more than that. DVD Decrypter is one free utility I've found that will cut thru that DVD-BACKUP anti-piracy code. It won't remove the backup disclaimer but you can now copy.

I own XCopy and Xpress also and will try Platinum -if- it ever gets released in a 100% fully functional version. RH Moore said not to expect this before Xmas - didn't say what year.

I'm using DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter if needed, and Nero 6 to make my backups & copies. Wish I'd known about them last May...I'd saved $100.

RWG

3. WasExtra

WasExtra Guest

Ummm .. you don't have to go to all that trouble. You can simply use NERO diskcopy (or any other burner program) to *copy* the disk. Works.

Big surprise, eh? Those DVDXCopy copies are all sitting there, waiting to be copied with any old dumb program ...

4. garzajd

garzajd Member

Thanks I mentioned I knew how to copy them with other programs, but I never thought of using nero for a simple disk copy. So simple I never thought of it.
    I mainly was curious as to how it knew it was a copy. I'm guessing it is only the archive.txt file that tells it. From what I understand the older versions of dvdxcopy didnt check before the burn for the file, but I guess the newer ones do.

5. theone30

theone30 Member

I tried making a straight copy using Nero 5.5.10 from a copy of DVDX Copy Platinum it copied the backup warning and that was it....or thats all that would play on the DVD player.but the disk is full when you look at the underside.......When i check it on my computers both copies have the same files on them except the 2nd doesnt have the archive text

Last edited: Nov 30, 2003
  6. WasExtra

WasExtra Guest

I used Nero 6.something, and it copied the entire thing (several movies), for which a friend was very appreciative :). Yeah I know I'm not supposed to do that; it was experimental. I'm not sure what player he uses, but it would be a new one. Replays on my equipment as well (newish Toshiba, oldish Sony, Xbox). Maybe the problem lies with your burner or media.

7. theone30

theone30 Member

If it was the burner or media I wouldn't have the 1st copy successful I've used this same media (ritek) and burner (Sony DRU500A) on everything I burn and am on my 3rd 100 pack of Ritek media Xbox,PS2 movies not a problem just not a copy yo a copy on movies from DVDX copy Plat..........thanx for your reply

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I use Xcopy Express and never had a problem using disc to disc copy with either Recordnow or Nero 6.
    Once it is decrypted the 1st time, the backup should copy easily. Jerry

9. theone30

theone30 Member

I ran DVD Decrypter on my back up copy of Sinbad that I made from DVDXcopy Plt. it ran for 10 hours with almost 4000 read errors.no go, I tried using DVD Shrink it says i cannotfind the file specified to open........I tried burning straight copies with Record Now Max and Nero 5 ERRORS>>>>>>So I used DVD Shrink on the original burned a copy and can do straight copies with Record Now or Nero 5......I don't think its a media issue or a burning software issue I thinks its a DVDXcopy issue which they are doing exactly what they want not letting you back up their copies......Maybe it has to do with our systems if a couple of you say you have copied a DVDXcopy platinum copy (which I'm not doubting) I'm just saying the procedures I have read for doing it hasn't worked for me.....Tried 2 different movies both backed up with Platinum and got the same results

10. WasExtra

WasExtra Guest

I did not use Platinum. I used DVDXcopy 1.5.2, and I can duplicate perfectly with Nero 6.something. What I haven't done yet is attempt to copy a disc produced by Xpress 2.5.2. Possibly Xpress handles it differently .. and maybe Platinum does something similar to Xpress. I might try an Xpress copy and see what happens ...

11. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

My Express is the new 3.2.1. Any old disc copy program will copy the copy. Only time it won't work is if you use Express again without some file modifications first. Jerry

12. garzajd

garzajd Member

Well all here is what I have come up with. While I have found it is possible to copy a DvdXCopy Platinum copy it is not possible (by average user) to use DvdXCopy Platinum to copy a DvdXCopy Playinum copy. I have however found many other ways to do this. First since I only ever used DvdXCopy Express I figured why should I even use Platinum. Anyways with DvdXCopy (older version) I can start the process then before burning I am able to remove the warning and also delete the archive.txt - then continue burning in DvdXCopy Xpress. This allows me to take a copy just made using Xpress and copy it again using Xpress. This is the result I was after. Being as me and a friend often need backups of each others backup (legally of course -for you who are concerned). I am however always interested in any new ideals.

13. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

HI garzajd, One of the members on here wrote a small program patch for Xcopy express. you click on it during the pause between rip & burn back. It automatically removes the 321 backup screen when doing a movie only backup. It works nice, but I never checked to see if a copy using the patch would recopy. I'll have to try that some day when I have time. Its always fun to try something to beat the system. Jerry

14. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

The One, when using dvd shrink to copy a backup of a dvdxcopy rip, you have to open the file, not the disk, then actually select the ifo file, otherwise it keeps giving the error you mentioned. Also when outputting to a driectory it will say something very similar if the directory you're outputting to doesn't exist.

Just play around with it, i only got it yesterday and made a copy of terminator 3 done with dvdcopyexpress using dvdshrink and record now dx and it works like a charm.

Remember, the open files tab, not the open disk tab, then select drive, then video, then the appropriate video_ts folder, then it will open it.

Bailey

*edit* The version of dvd shrink is 3.0 b5 or something, the one you can d/l at the mo.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2003
  15. theone30

theone30 Member

Thanks for the reply pbailey I'll try it when I get off in the morning........let ya know how it works out.:)

16. theone30

theone30 Member

I did what you said and every time I go to Open Files Go to D: drive (where tHe Platinum copy is) Open the VIDEO_TS folder select the VIDEO_TS IFO file it locks up evry time! I'm just going to sell this copy of Platinum cause its shit to me and make my backups with DVD Shrink and Nero!!!

17. shape

shape Member

where can i find this xpress backup removal warnign patch? link?

thanks

18. slackC

slackC Guest

I use dvd X rescue(comes with DVD X Copy platium)to copy my dvd backups made with Xpress or x copy

19. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi shape, Look under forum title (One click transcoding tools) Thread (321 gone). I added a note today so it should be close to the top.
    Jerry

20. shape

shape Member

thanks jerry, but i just switched to shrink!! :) the quality blows away any dvdxcopy app!!!