AfterDawn: Tech news

MPAA denies connection to MediaDefender

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 04 Nov 2007 6:23 User comments (12)

MPAA denies connection to MediaDefender Last month The Pirate Bay filed a lawsuit against some major players in the entertainment industry alleging that they were trying to corrupt to sabotage the infamous torrent tracker.
The MPAA has finally responded to the claims and to no ones surprise, they have denied all the claims including that they ever worked with MediaDefender. Unfortunately for the MPAA's claims, archives of leaked MD emails beg to differ.

MPAA attorney Espen Tøndel said that the "companies represented by the MPAA never requested MediaDefender to do the things The Pirate Bay claims."

One example given by TF involves Universal Pictures, a studio known for being represented by the MPAA. The leaked emails leave nothing to the imagination when Universal execs say “can you jump all over this swarm and try to kill it?”, meaning they are asking MD to pollute torrent sites with fake files in an effort to hide real ones. Universal is just one of many movie studios that have been hired by MD, yet the MPAA somehow denies the claims.

Brokep, a TBP admin, had this to say about the media companies. “I want them to take their crappy methods and stop their wrong-doing. They are going around accusing the pirate community for doing immoral stuff, when they do illegal stuff,” he said.

Source:
TF

Previous Next  

12 user comments

14.11.2007 21:29
furchtlos
Inactive

MPAA + Media Defender = Most ironic assholes on the earth.

24.11.2007 21:38

So the Massive Prick Association of America is doing nothing but bullshitting again, eh? Doesn't seem like much of a surprise. It's very bold for TPB to make this case, but I honestly don't see them winning. Judges can be paid, I'm afraid, and they're over an entire ocean, for god's sakes.

I hope the Massive Prick Association of America and the Mutant Dickwads are having a fun time. Those bastards ought to rot in hell.

35.11.2007 02:00

I'm not defending the way the MPAA takes action against file sharing here, but come on, have you ever downloaded a movie you own because you were too lazy to back it up onto your computer? I mean, that's the only legal way to be downloading these movies anyway.

I mean you have to acknowledge the fast that when you download a movie without paying for it, then you just saved some money by stealing. Sure it's not a physical product or anything. The only way you can justify downloading movies without paying for them is if you honestly believe to yourself that you would not have paid to see the movie in the first place.

It's hard to know how many people download movies because they don't want to pay for them, and how many people download movies that they would never pay for and watch to begin with. I know most of the time with me it's stuff I wouldn't have paid to see, but sometimes it's stuff I would go pay to see, but I want to save my $8.50 or whatever ass rape it is to go see it.

45.11.2007 04:21
nobrainer
Inactive

They are there to stop it and just like Americas stance on torture its ok as long as you don't get caught, then lie your ass off and get a pardon by the corrupt president!

An old story but right on the money and you can here the mpaa/riaa lies put forward by this scum bag senator that has been sold his soul and take bribes time and again to lobby for the media industry, to make ppl think its right to criminalise copywrite infringer's and hand out sentences more sever that rapists and paedophiles!

Originally posted by link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/2999780.stm

Destroy 'pirate' PCs, says politician
Senator Orrin Hatch
Senator Hatch said destroyed computers would show the government was serious
A US senator wants to develop new technology which would remotely destroy the computers of people who illegally download music tracks.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 05 Nov 2007 @ 4:23

55.11.2007 08:19
ali2007
Inactive

The MPAA has finally responded to the claims and to no ones surprise, they have denied all the claims including that they ever worked with MediaDefender. Unfortunately for the MPAA's claims, archives of leaked MD emails beg to differ.

usual story ,we never did,
we know you did it

65.11.2007 09:09

Originally posted by ali2007:

usual story ,we never did,
we know you did it
I think Michael Jackson denied misconduct with those kids too. We know better.
OJ denied any involvment in that tragic double homicide, and was aquitted. But we know better.
Bill Clinton denied having relations with Monica. Again, we know better.
MPAA (major puss*es against advancement) denies involvment with MD. Yeah...we're really fooled.

Get bent MPAA.

75.11.2007 11:42
duckNrun
Inactive

I don't approve of downloading any content: movies, music or software. That's just MY OWN personal belief.

However, the truth of the matter is that whatever moral issue it MAY be it is not stealing. What it IS however is copyright infringment. Which is an entirely different beast than stealing.

If it was theft the fines would be LOWER, the compensatory damges would be lower and the charges would certainly be of a lesser nature.

With that said, I think that our police, our courts, our politicians and our government resources have more important issues to deal with than individuals violating copyrights for their own personal use without financial gains involved. I also think that if the media companies would step into the 21st century and beyond that they would discover a distribution model that is less costly to them, less costly to the consumers and more profitable to the copyright holders.

85.11.2007 12:04
Kerpalguy
Inactive

The managing board of the MPAA should actively enter politics, as much as they lie and steal. Idiots.

95.11.2007 12:56
vinny13
Inactive

Douchebags...

1012.11.2007 22:25
gfactor13
Inactive

so if some one is caught downloading one song they can get fined upwards of $5000, well how much does a shoplifter get fined for stealing a whole CD that contains from 4 to 15 songs on it?

1113.11.2007 19:08
duckNrun
Inactive

Originally posted by gfactor13:
so if some one is caught downloading one song they can get fined upwards of $5000, well how much does a shoplifter get fined for stealing a whole CD that contains from 4 to 15 songs on it?
About $250 in fines... don't ask me how I know this....lol

:P

1218.11.2007 16:33

These two are connected and it does not take a brain surgeon to figure this out especially when it comes to the mpaa they are connected to anything they can get their hands on.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive