1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I getting True HD video?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by dizzyduck, Nov 7, 2007.

1. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

Here's my situation. I posted earlier about an HD-DVD rip to DVD9. I had a HD-DVD movie only rip via mkv. I took the mkv and ran it through The FilmMachine paired with CCE, producing a 720x480 compliant DVD. I took the muxed mpg file from the Temp directory and ran HDPatch on it. I then ran the patched mpg through Ulead Movie Factory 6 Plus with resolution setting of 1440x1080. I created the the HD-DVD disc on DVD-9 disc. It played flawlessly on my Toshiba HD-A2 and the picture is phenomenal and it plays only on my HD-A2 (not my standard DVD player) and recognizes it as an HD-DVD.

Now I burned the mkv regularly with The FilmMachine paired with CCE on 4 pass and burned to DVD-9. The picture was good upconverted but didn't look as good as the HD-DVD I authored. Now my question is, am I getting a true HD-DVD with HD-quality, or is just the way I encoded it? Because my authored HD-DVD looks identical to the original HD-DVD. Just wanted some feedback. Thanks in advance!

2. gigabyte8

gigabyte8 Member

Any answers?

3. david89

david89 Guest

the resolution won't be as good as going from hdrip directly to hddvd this is something i am trying learn myself h264 should beable be re-author without need re-encode file that one reason i am looking different authoring app.

4. tddk

tddk Member

The encoding is what is making it look identical to the original. No matter what, reconverting from an mkv rip (which is a compressed rip using x264 codecs) will lose quality.

It is like taking a sponge and soaking it with water, then squezzing all the water out. The sponge might look like it did before you added/removed the water, however is isnt identical.

Personally, as I said in your other thread, just stream the mkv file to your hdtv off of your computer. The MKV file will look better then the files you create when re-coding them to work in your dvdplayer.

5. gigabyte8

gigabyte8 Member

Computer is upstairs, tv is downstairs...

6. tddk

tddk Member

Hmm well then I guess you can continue doing it your current way and get nearly identical results or just run a cable downstairs to the tv or move the computer. We have set up a computer in our living room and the server is upstairs but we have a network so we just stream it to the living room computer then play it on the hdtv in the living room.

So depends how much work you want to do, if you want to go through that long process you described above everytime you want to watch hd, then do it. But if you have the option, move and stream off the computer.