1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD tv woes

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by roddybubu, Nov 15, 2007.

1. roddybubu

roddybubu Member

I've recently purchased a Sony Bravia KDL40W2000 LCD tv and everything was fine with it until a couple of days ago. Since then I've been noticing a faint aura on the top right part of the screen, similar to what happens on CRT screens when an electro-magnetic buildup occurs due to a faulty degaussing coil. I'm no expert but I assume that LCD technology works in a completely different manner so it can't be that. It's not a case of backlight bleeding either, but I did notice that there is some burn-in going on in that part of the screen. Also, when the tv is displaying a particular signal (like a bright object moving across a black screen for example), the light crossing the 'problematic zone' of the screen would also be repeated on the topmost vertical line of the panel! Fortunately the tv is still under warranty but since I got this model from abroad and there is no authorised Sony repair centre in my country I would have to ship it overseas to have it fixed, and that would cost me a lot of money. I'm hoping somebody comes up with a quickfix that I could do myself to restore the set back to how it was. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks
    Roderick

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

i'd say it might be a vein of stuck pixel but out ruled that since it's a lcd, i suggest you stop using the screen you may need a replacement chip for your video display, this happens quite often, try reverting all your tv settings to default, other wise i would suggest trying to get repair, you probably have a warranty

replacement lcd screens- http://www.priorityelectronics.com/laptop-lcd-screens.htm

good luck, i hate when stuff like that happens
    (make sure there is no draft of heat/cold air flowing towards it constantly, its vents are not blocked, no liquid)

3. club42

club42 Regular member

My Lcd did the same thing and it was the light engine that happend to cost damn near the price of the display. My display was a rear projection so it may be different. Also I have heard of color filters warping and causing the same effect. Either way you will have to ship back overseas or see if it's cheaper to have fixed locally.

4. roddybubu

roddybubu Member

Its not simply a case of stuck pixels I'm afraid. Looks more like serious screen burn in. I've posted some screenshots to show you how bad it becomes after a couple of hours that it's been on. Actually it doesn't start up as bad as only a white dot at the very edge of the screen would be visible up to the first 30 mins. Note the faint two straight lines at the right of the screen. That's a burnt screenshot of the pause mark osd from a dvd player. That symbol was left there for only about 10 mins!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]