1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eurovox Max V in Galway Ireland?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by ihatentl, Nov 21, 2007.

1. ihatentl

ihatentl Member

How a ye? as we say here in galway. I'm trying to install a Eurovox Max V for my uncle how has recently ended his NTL subscription but ther have left the ntl box and card and the little dish on the wall outside. Now I'm no expert (obviously) and only heard about the eurovox last week when we got one from England but it doesn't seem to work for me. The thing came with a CD but it didn't have flip all instructions about what to do with it. I have put in the installation settings and i've done a power scan from 100mzh to 800mzh and got lots of green bars but no channels listed. Sorry I can't be more specific but I'm not near the thing at the moment but I'll have a look later. 1) can it work even though he's not with NTL anymore? 2)does it need the NTL card in the eurovox? 3) what's the CD for? any help is appreciated, you tell me what to do and I'll try it. cheers!!!

2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Is it flashed? Press menu, config and system info and post what it says. It will work with N** MMDS which is what you have as long as you have a working MMDS setup, (Aerial/downconvertor/powerinsertor), I presume they left all that behind. Use 6687 as the symbol rate.

3. ihatentl

ihatentl Member

Hi Sc0user, thanks for the reply. Not sure what "flashed" means (despite reading through most of the threads on this site!) He got a CD with it and I connected it to the PC with the cable and downloaded the software onto it (the box said dnld). I will post the system info over the weekend when I get back to his house. Thanks mate. Really like this site, helpful people.

4. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

No problem whenever youre ready just drop back.

5. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Evening Scouser , just here for a quick nosey :)

6. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Same here heading out with her indoors :) If I get screamed at I will say cya later now LOL :)

7. ihatentl

ihatentl Member

hiye lads,
    sorry I've not been back sooner but he lives out in the country and I'm in town. I tried the eurovox in galway city on the cable and it works great (i.e. it's not a dodgy box), also tried it at my sister's mmds and it worked there (although on 87 channels but they're having trouble with the signal anyway) so I went back to my uncles and tried again... first I plugged in the old N*L box to see that there was something there (remember he cancelled but I thought there should be signs going you are not registered or something) and there was activity! even had some poor quality channels (like setanta) so I tried again with the eurovox using the same 6887 rate as I did in town and again nothing came up!!!!!! however... after sitting through the 20mins of watchin 0 to 770 I did an update channel with the red button and, amazingly, got a list of 57 channels but extremely poor quality and loss of signal. Am I right to assume then that the N*L asses have somehow turned down the signal strengh but left the equipment and does he need to subscribe to a basic package to get the signal back? would a booster work (even though it would surely only boost the 57 channels and not get the others). phew, i go on a bit eh? :) anyway, I'll keep at it, I figure it out eventually, the problem is that he has no internet and I don't have the thing here to give you details! cheers, any suggestions appreciated.

8. ihatentl

ihatentl Member

Hiya Sc0user and Celtic,
    Sorry for delay but I got the uncle to get the basic N*L again, thinking that they would boost the signal and the eurovox would decode the blocked channels... they came out and installed a UPC box instead of the usual NTL box and that works fine so I hooked up the eurovox... NOTHING! I got absolutely nothing even though the N*L is working fine on their UPC box (have they done something lately to stop eurovoxes or something? I see alot of new threads having trouble). Anyway, I sat through three full powerscans and nothing comes up, then I did a red button scan and 38channels (with no names) listed, but no signal on anything. I'm at a loss! it worked better last week when he wasn't with N*L!. Anyway here is the system info.
    model DVB-XCBOX V TDA
    s/w ver 1.0 STC4 Oct15 2007
    h/w ver 2.0t K5
    bootstrap V001
    s/w build KURO
    i've used both symbol rates 6887 AND 6875 (becasue it's N*L Cho*r*s) but neither did anything. Do I have the right software? please help, it's taking over my life and I can't get any work done. :) cheers guys

9. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

When you say channels listed with no names that usually indicated a weak signal problem. You have Kuro Beta 1 firmware check to see if the booster is on in TV Settings in the EV menu. If it is and you are atill having problems try a booster from Maplins or Argos, these are quite cheap, you could go down the road of the yellow brick booster with slope attenuation control, but better to try a cheap booster first.

Do one thing first though go to a few different channels and press the info button twice on your remote, post back what it says for signal quality/level as it may be a different type of fault that I have seen before.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  10. ihatentl

ihatentl Member

Hi Sc0user,
    thanks for prompt reply. As I said, last week he only had the aerial and old N*L box and wasn't paying so there should've been no signal but I got some very jumpy picture and sound and assumed that when he rejoined them they would put up the signal and it would improve, but it's actually worse, there's nothing now, yet the new UPC box they connected works fine, picture is clear as a bell, so surely the signal isn't a problem. I'm not sure of the percentages but the red/green bar kept skipping form 20% to 80% all the time, I'll try one of the none playing channels when I get to his house later and write down the signal quality info and post it tomorrow. Is is possible that they've copped on to the scheme and have someway to stop the Eurovox? hence the new UPC box? (or is that just a silly question). I'll defo get back tomorrow on it. cheers mate.

11. ihatentl

ihatentl Member

p.s. would the windy weather affect it? it's blowin a gale here, maybe it's f*eckin up the aerial?

12. ihatentl

ihatentl Member

13. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

No it wont work on Ch**us MMDS but it will on N** MMDS which is what I had assumed you had as all your posts seemed to indicate this.

14. ihatentl

ihatentl Member

I didn't know there was a difference till today, he has an account with "chorus N*L", which i assume is NT*, his bills are from N*L and I phoned *TL to set him up, what can I do now after getting him to join (obviously the wrong) NT*? is there some software or something? would "the box" work, I know someone that has one in towm and they might swap...

15. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

The confusion seems to lie in the fact is he N** or Ch**us, as they are now both UPC, but from what you say it does indicate that he is on N** MMDS. The Box is similar to the MaxV as it has a DVB-C tuner, so it will also work on N** cable & MMDS also works on Ch**us cable, but not on Ch**us MMDS. Post back the signal info and we will see from there. Sorry I have to leave but will keep my eye out for you.

16. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

There is no chorus mmds in Galway.
    It your uncle got a pace box and a mmds aerial its ntl mmds.
    Do a powerscan via the range 250.00 to 402.00 and symbol rate 6887.

17. ihatentl

ihatentl Member

Thanks Sc0user and Hi mgb17,
    His original N*L box was from NT* and his bills came from N*L so when he got a letter from Ch*rus N*L I just assumed is was the same thing. The new thing that they (chor*s NT*) installed doesn't look like his old one, it has UPC on it. I'll go and do what you suggest mgb17 and see if that helps, I'll also do as you suggest Sc0user and get back to ye tomorrow. I'm going to head to his house now. If the eurovox won't work out there (ie abbeyknockmoy, it's in the tuam area in County Galway) I will see if I can change it for one of those dreambox 500t s. cheers

18. ihatentl

ihatentl Member

hi lads,
    ok, I tried doin the powerscan from 250 to 402 at 6887 and only got 10 channels on my sister's MMDS in knocknacarra and got about 18 unnamed channels on my uncle's MMDS near tuam. But with my uncle's it shows strong signals on the channels when I press info but still says "no signal"... so I called the supplier to get a dreambox, but he sent a eurovox TX 2008, is this the same thing as a dreambox? (ie a DVB-T) I think it must be as it doesn't work on my girlfriend's cable N*L when the max V does. Anyway, tried the new box on my uncles and my sister's... absolutely NOTHING! aaahhhhhh! I'm beginning to think they are both N*L mmds and the eurovox max V should work. gonna try changing the s/w back to sept (i updated both to oct s/w) to see if that helps. Sc0user i couldn't find where to check to see if the booster is on in TV Settings in the EV menu... where's the EV menu? anyway guys, thanks for the help, I'm getting sick of these things, taking up so much time and gettin nowhere...

19. joebass

joebass Member

Hi ihatentl,
    Having a quick guess your prob is co-channel interference and your not going to solve it to easy ! One idea does come to mind is to get your ntl box chiped, Ntk boxes are channl maped so do not suffer from co-channel ..........!

20. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

There is no chorus mmds in galway and a box with dvb-t tuner is the wrong one.