1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Use AID to install a booting Dashboard

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by chunkhead, Nov 26, 2007.

1. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

[​IMG]

Seems to be coming up quite a bit with people a bit confused as to what to press.

It basically comes down to two things;

Modchip or Softmod.

The Softmod options are clearly defined within each section of AID, so all you have to do is select that option.

However, here's a walkthrough for installing XBMC as the main bootable dash on a Softmodded Xbox.

1) Get AID and burn it to a DVD-R (Available in my Software section)

2) Load to first screen (Xbox must already be modded for this to work)

From here you'll want to select 'Dashboard Section'. **Ignore the 'Softmod One-Click' option!

[​IMG]

3) Next, select 'Install E Drive Dash (Softmod)'

[​IMG]

4) Select the dash of choice

[​IMG]

5) Select the HDD size you are installing to

[​IMG]

That's it, when you reboot it will the first bootable option.

**NOTE**

To have multiple dashboards installed, simply install them as Applications. They will then be available as programs from your dashboard of choice!

;)

2. mrgooey

mrgooey Regular member

never heard of AID, i used slayer's auto install

3. dishcrazy

dishcrazy Member

FLAWLESS!....thanks a million this sorted me right out
    thanks again

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Glad it worked for you! Just another tool in my shed!

;)

@ mrgooey

Slayers is for modchips only and it also doesn't have a fraction of the features of AID. My Slayers disc gathers dust on the shelf!

5. mrgooey

mrgooey Regular member

Now I'm mad. I should have never bought the xbox chip. I could have softmod with AID. y didnt u tell me earlier. I feel lonely now ...

6. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Modchip users can use AID too...

;)

7. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

i don't get it! i still boot to unleashx!

8. royyor

royyor Member

ok so what if i used slayer installer first and now i want to use AID will it still work as it should i mean wouldnt that mess the xbox or will AID erase the previous dashboard can you plz tell me how this work

9. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

Just softied my XBOX =) and did it with AR and SID with UnleashX as my dash. I want to switch to XBMC. Is AID my best option along with completely uninstalling the softmod I have now and reinstalling with AID?

I have the AID folder in IZArc. What do i need to burn to a disc? The whole AID folder or just the AID.iso?

Thanks!

I don't see any .iso file in the folder I extracted the .RAR to....

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  10. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

izarc..... you need to burn the iso! what is the extension of the file? is it .iso or is it .rar .zip? izarc is a compression utility that can (automatically'!!) open iso files. if it is in iso extention, then izarc will open it and display the folders in it! it is just like winrar, but you do not want to do that. so look for the file with the .iso extension, then open your favorite burning program and find the option 'burn image'. you can use nero, ultraiso etc. etc. most if not all burn programs support burning iso's.

btw. there is a link utility in the xbmc download packet (look in the folder '_tools! so if you put xbmc in the apps folder, and link it to úsing the readme in the folder _tools, then xbmc will be your primary startup dash. i do not recommend setting xbmc as your primary dash, but the choice is yours.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  12. ds_dude

ds_dude Member

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

ds_dude - you're going to get more than your wife angry if you continue multiposting, please stick to this one - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/726268

I haven't answered any of your questions as i and others have answered endless varieties of the same questions previously, the search function is your friend, everything's here on the forums for the finding :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  14. ds_dude

ds_dude Member

right that one was a mestake i didnt mean to put that one in that thread and iv been searching for over three mounths on how to install the dash's and they have eather been questions on how to do them or compleat gibberish and this is the first thread i have found on how to install any dash bord that has made compleate sence and iv never done this so sorry for the reply in the rong thread and please post link on where i can fine the answers to my questions or please tell me

15. abmedic

abmedic Member

Total newbie here. Apologize in advance for profound ignorance. I softmodded my Xbox using tutorial found at Lifehacker (Softmod installer deluxe v2) - worked like a charm. Upgraded XBMC to latest build from T3ch (v 1-25-09). Upgraded to larger HD using Chimp 2.4 - 320GB, w/ E-F-G partitions. FTP'ed about 50 movies to xbox HD. To Chunkhead et al - infinite thanks for your tutorials and your time - deeply appreciated. My softmodded xbox is running great, w/ UnleashX as primary Dash, and XBMC as application using PMIII skin. I can not dual boot - boots into UnleashX, without M$ xbox dash available.

Follow on questions to excellent Installing Dash Tutorial - if I use the AID (I have latest build, v4.4), can I upgrade from my current softmod? I'd like to add other dashboards, set up dual booting, and make sure I'm using up-to-date softmod apps (since my softmod original installer was v2.0), but not sure where to put them without risking overwriting or screwing up an otherwise well running machine. After un-rar'ing AID, the file is an .exe (AID_Iso_Updater.exe) - how do I burn that to .iso? After burning, can I use the AID .iso to upgrade my softmod w/ more current apps and additional dashboards? Is .iso burning necessary, or can I just FTP files to xbox? Where should dashboards be stored to run as apps? Is there a way to reinstall M$ dash so I can dual boot? All help appreciated.

16. mosportd

mosportd Guest

Hey guys i still cant seem to get mine to work...i have a hardmodded xbox but everytime i try to install a dashboard it doesnt seem to want to boot it, it just keeps going to the M$ dashboard...do i have to rename any files?

continued from here ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/775374

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2009