1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX HD-DVD drive on a PC - my experience

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by z0diac, Nov 27, 2007.

1. z0diac

z0diac Regular member

WOW this isn't as easy as I thought it would be. I read on another site: plug it in, right click the "XP Blueprint" driver file, reboot, and there you go. NOT THE CASE.

It would display the HD disc name in my drive listings (disc I'm testing this setup with is Transformers HDDVD), and would let me copy over files, which I did, do my HD. Tried playing the .EVO files using PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra - just black screens, no sound. Downloaded/installed WinDVD 8 - same thing.

Then I read someone got it working just using the drivers XP would put on the drive. So I uninstalled my drive, rebooted again - nothing. Can't even CD into the drive to get a file listing. Saying drive not support or something, I can't remember now.

Spent about *2 hours* rebooting, trying to re-install the Blueprint driver, etc, etc.. FINALLY figured out to get the drive to show the "TRANSFORMERS" HD disc in there, you have to insert the disc AFTER windows is booted (or eject, then put back in).

THEN I read only PowerDVD 6.5 could play the files using this setup. Uninstalled 7.3 which didn't work because of some error so I had to reinstall 7.3, the uninstall it, then install 6.5 - SAME PROBLEM, just black screen, no sound.

THEN I read you should play the .XML files instead the AACS_BACK forlder on the disc in order to play the movies. Nope, doesn't recognize any video streams in them.

GRRR.

So THEN I read that someone DID get PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra to work, but you have to go through all the updates. I got it to recognize that it needed an update, and am finally downloading the HD update for 7.3 from PowerDVD - AT A WHOPPING 19.4KB/sec from Cyberlink's site. I'm on 16MBIT cable and can do 1850kb/sec - this is going to take me roughly 2.5hrs. I'm HOPING THIS IS THE MISSING COMPONENT and that's it.

Other people claimed they just plugged in their Xbox HD drive, let windows install its own drivers, and could play movies using PowerDVD 7.3 - not me.

IN case anyone cares to compare hardware to see if they get the same probs, mine is:

- Athlon 5000+
    - 2GB 800Mhz RAM
    - Windows XP SP2
    - ATI Radeon x1950PRO video card
    - Samsung 20" widescreen monitor (the 2ms one) @ 1680x1050 resolution (highest the monitor goes)

I know it's not the monitors prob because 1: I'm getting no sound, and 2: I've played 1920x1080p xvid and TS files using PowerDVD 7.3

So if YOU read all you have to do is buy an external Xbox HD drive, plug it in, and there you have HD-DVD on your PC - don't EXPECT it to be easy. Hopefully it will be for you, but I just thought I'd share my problems so far.

As I said, I've been able to copy the raw files over, which are useless right now because I can't play the raw files on HD, I can't play HD movies using the "disc" type mode, and I can't play the raw files off the disc. Once CyberLink's pathetically SLOW site finishes sending me the update, I'll let everyone know how it goes, but I'm not expecting anything different - it's been one of those afternoon/evenings so far.

2. z0diac

z0diac Regular member

Ok, I've packed up the XBox HD drive back into the box and am returning it tomorrow.

I could get movies to play, only SOMETIMES, and there's no ability to capture screenshots, which is the major reason why I got it.

Tried WinDVD 8 (couldn't get THAT to work at ALL) and went back and forth between PowerDVD versions 6.5 and 7.3 Ultra

So it just looks like there's no good programs out there that support HD-DVD playback with screen capture yet.

Yes, I tried using IrfanView to do captures as well - it just captured a blank screen, even though there was something ON the screen at the time.

Guess I'll just stick to waiting for good stuff on HDTV and capturing via firewire to .TS files again.

3. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

what os u got?
    i have the xbox hddvd rom
    itplays flawlessly on my vista home premium
    the only disadvantage is ihave the damn cyber link powerdvd ultra
    that won't play the content from my harddrvie
    letsee if any third party softy comesout
    i heard pdvd 6.5 works which i don't have

and i think its kinda way too early
    for hd/bluray era for this kinda stuff
    and guys
    remember when dvd are first introduce o the consumer and pc
    the very first sifty is dvd x copy which is able to copy on 2 dvd 5's
    and played on commerical dvd players
    i think hd dvd or bluray both arenot up to that positon yet

patience is virtue

4. zipptide

zipptide Member

Ive basically had the same problem , I get an error code something about a driver missing or incompatible , I also have a ATI video card , so i updated the latest drivers from AMD/ATI site for my card but it still didnt work and btw they have a list of video cards that work with hd-dvd and blueray.And my video card anit nowhere on the list.

btw i can still download BLueray or HD_DVD files and play them but the blueray shudders real bad when using Power DVD 7.3

5. WagWam

WagWam Member

Buy a LG GGC-H20L... plays both HD-DVD and Blu-Rays, and you can get it in black and mount it internally.

I love mine.

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

You need drivers for XP.

HD-DVDRom.UDF.Reader.v2.5.WindowsXP. They are from Toshiba.

7. philly37

philly37 Regular member

I like the Xbox 360 hd-dvd drive but i decided to get the lg drive since it plays both hd-dvd and blu ray. Of course i didnt notice newegg return policy for the xbox 360 drive so i couldnt return it. I dont have an xbox 360 so ill have to ebay it. Im soo tempted to cut the upc of the box and get the 5 free hd-dvds but im holding off. If you dont have an xbox 360 and can afford the extra 120 i suggest get the lg

8. z0diac

z0diac Regular member

I could get the XBOX HD drive to access the HD-DVD disc no problem, and could even copy over all the .EVO files to my hard drive.

The problem was PLAYING the files. Someone's gotta come out with some software that's good with .evo files. Basically I don't want to watch the movies anyway (why watch HD on a 20" monitor) - I want to do vidcaps (screenshots) and edit the clips. I haven't found any converter that will convert .EVO files to something that video editors like.

I'll wait for a version of VideoRedo that supports .evo (right now it says "video stream not found")

VirtualDubMod won't read .EVO files either. Try to open .evo akes it crash actually...

I did manage to get one program (can't remember which) to convert .EVO to .MPV - but that format is just as useless to work with.

9. z0diac

z0diac Regular member

No local stores carry an HD/BRay internal drives anymore. Apparently Future Shop (Canada) here used to but discontinued whatever model it was they were selling due to lack of interest. I'll see if I can locate an online Canadian store and check out that LG drive. Sounds like that's exactly what I'm looking for. Just hope it has a PLAYER that works with it (something that will allow capturing screenshots too).

10. mfool

mfool Member