1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning DVDs on Macs

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by jrod81, Nov 30, 2007.

1. jrod81

jrod81 Member

Hey guys,
    In my previous PC life I was burning using DVD Shrink and Decrypter... is there free software that I can put on my mac and burn that easy too?
    thanks

2. david456

david456 Regular member

3. jrod81

jrod81 Member

thanks for the help but i am having no luck with mac the ripper... every place i go to get it says it can't be found???

4. jrod81

jrod81 Member

well i got mac the ripper from versiontracker...
    but not real sure what to do now...

5. jrod81

jrod81 Member

has anyone tried shrinkydvdink yet???

6. chris0001

chris0001 Member

glad I searched before posting (lol). I'm having the same exact problem.
    The good news is, from a previous stint I had with linux, dvdshrink works under Wine (which i think they have a version for mac), but I don't want to go through with all that yet because other key programs like decrypter, ripit4me, nero seemed to have issues on Wine. Plus, from what it looks like, newer movies like the bourne ultimatum are having problems with shrink alone.

So jrod, you find anything?? I'm finding stuff, but not freeware, and they all seem to be "one-step" programs that don't give you many options (like recopying or editing from hard drive).

7. zegg404

zegg404 Guest

For encoding use DVD2oneX. Then use Toast and select the data tab at the top. Then on the left select DVD-ROM(UDF) and then burn it. You will have to buy DVD2oneX but is is well worth the $.

8. chris0001

chris0001 Member

Thanks, I've seen these a few times now. I'm sure they're very good programs, but after you've done the dvdshrink/decrypter thing for a while, it's kind of hard to want to pay any amount to backup dvds.
    I'm amazed at the lack of freeware for mac in this area.
    Fyi, I also misspoke above when I said they have a version of Wine for mac. They do, but expect you to pay for it. I guess when you have the most overrated, expensive, proprietary system in the world, everyone else thinks you've got money to waste.