1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I paired a hd 3850 with a pentium D 820 (2.8)....

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Magdylite, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Magdylite

Magdylite Member

So I paired a hd 3850 with a pentium D 820 (2.8).... My framerate is not as great as I hoped. I know the pentium d is causing a bottleneck but my question is how much of a bottleneck. In game framerate wise how many frames improvement will I get if I upgrade to a core2duo 2.4 ... Then again maybe I was just expecting to much out of the card. I game at 1280x1024.

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

what game are you playing? Crysis? Dont even think about nice frames (30+) at that resolution in that game with a 3850.

The Pentium D could be causing the bottleneck, or it could just be the 3850s drivers.

3. Magdylite

Magdylite Member

Ive tested plenty of games:

sega rally revo - only runs well at crap settings

Half life 2 - say no to anti aliasing

Bioshock - frame rate all over the place even at 1024 resolution

Need for speed carbon - solid fps highest settings 1280...

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Hmm, well AA can bring down the fps on any card by a lot. Even with a Ultra and highest settings in Crysis with max AA, what used to be high 40s is now mid to lower 20s.

AA and the Resolution are probably the biggest killers.

What drivers are you running?

5. Magdylite

Magdylite Member

I have the newest drivers and I now realize I have a gigantic bottleneck. Unreal tournament 3 on the lowest settings has the same framerate has the highest even on the lowest resolution! 15-30 fps!

6. AXT

AXT Guest

I have a X1950XTX, which is as good as the HD3850 (unfortunately), however, i can run 99.9% of games maxed out with no problem. So it has to be your CPU or something else wrong with your computer.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Are you running Vista? If you are, you're in DX10 mode, which doesn't support Anti-Aliasing, at all. Fortunately the HD3850 supports DX10.1, so when that's released, you will be able to use AA.
    The HD3850 is still powerful compared to my card though, so you should be able to reach at least 1920x1200. How much RAM have you got?

As for UT3, if the frame rate is the same for different resolutions, it's probably your CPU causing a bottleneck. The D820 is the second slowest dual core CPu evermade, so it will certainly lag recent games a bit. If you upgrade to a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, you should expect around a 120% performance boost.

8. Magdylite

Magdylite Member

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No. Especially not if you overclock it.
    Just obviously beware that CPU may not be compatible with your c urrent motherboard, it'd be wise to check/