1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disc at Once write error on Nero 6

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by griz, Nov 30, 2003.

1. griz

griz Member

I'm backing up some DVD's on my DVD +/- burner.

I'm using DVD -R media. (after experimenting the DVD + R was not copying very well)

The strange thing is that my copies are inconsistent. Some copies will work perfect and then the next copy I'll get a Disc at Once write error at the end. All use the exact same file, unaltered etc. There's no set pattern to when the error will occur.

I've followed the tutorials on this site for the burning and on some of the burns I'm getting an error. It says the burn failed with Disc at Once...I have no idea how to correct the error. The odd thing is that a few of the discs with the error seem to work fine anyways...a couple of the discs with the error however have a bit of a freezing/skipping problem that's minor and only periodic. I'm assuming this problem is the result of the error but can't verify that for sure.

The computer I'm running has a newer burner (4x but I only burn at 2x because of the media I have) the computer itself is also a solid machine. I do tons of work on it and the computer itself has handled all large jobs very well (I work in broadcasting so the stuff I'm doing is not pirating or anything of the like) Any suggestions on how to eliminate this problem?

2. jfwells

jfwells Member

Hi -

Curious if you ever figured this out. I am having a very similar problem, except mine ALWAYS fails at the ned. Haven't gotten a single disk to burn correctly yet.

Thx,

John

3. griz

griz Member

I'll be honest with you, I still haven't figured out the problem. Here is what has happened in addition to my original post. The discs that have this error on them still work in my DVD player at home (high end player) however some of the discs that recorded with this error don't work in other lower quality players. The thing that these discs in cheaper players do the most is sort of freeze up for a moment once in awhile. Some are worse than others. The one thing that I have noticed since doing a ton of work on this now is that in my case the error happens far less often with some brands of media over others. My particular machine is working best with Maxell DVD-R media. Maybe try to buy a few single DVD-R's from a few different brands and burn the same thing onto each and see if one of them works better than the others.

4. djspacey

djspacey Member

try ritex with purple dye on them best quality overall

www.cdr-by-mail.co.uk

try here for them cheap!!!!!

5. djspacey

djspacey Member

also another note make sure your harddrive you are storing your dvd files on is not fragmented this can cause problems too.... defragment at least once evry 2 weeks if using your hardrive to burn dvds also if you can use a separate harddrive not the one with your windows system on.... copying dvds is hard work!!!!!

6. jfwells

jfwells Member

Thanks for all of the tips. I have tried loading both Roxio and Nero6 on two different computers and get errors at the end of the process (right before ejecting in all cases. I can't even copy a 2k file onto these silly things. I have a Plexor 708 drive. I looked on their website and saw that the Memorex discs I am using are not on their compatibility list. But neither is Nero, and Nero lists the Plexor as being compatible. So, I am next going to try some discs (probably the one you suggested, thx) that are listed on their website.

Also - the harddrive I am copying from is brand new. It has a single movie copied up to it right now.

7. djspacey

djspacey Member

just a question for you what os are you using to copy dvd's or burn dvd files you have to have the ntfs filing system(xp has it) so it can handle files larger than 4 gig also make sure you are not running any other programs when you are burning also disable all screensavers and power savers in windows

djspacey

8. jfwells

jfwells Member

I have tried on both W2K (NTFS)and W98SE. I'll have to check to see how the W98 drive is set up. You are just talking about the drive the OS is set up on, right? I have an external HD as well that I am copying the files from.

I never run any other programs while the burn is taking place. I'll try disabling the screensaver. Thanks.