1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about ripping HD-DVDs

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by adamryer, Dec 10, 2007.

1. adamryer

adamryer Guest

ok so heres my plan. Im getting a 32" toshiba lcd soon to watch HD movies and play 360, and hopefully in the near future watch HD tv. Im also planning on buying an HD-DVD player for my 360, which can be used as an HD drive for a computer. The computer I am building will be able to play HD movies, and I plan to hook my new tv up to it. My question is, if I want to play HD movies off my hard drive, is there any software available that will let me rip HD movies onto my hard drive? I already have anydvd HD, what else to I need?

2. adamryer

adamryer Guest

ok nm i answered part of my question, i can just use anydvd HD to rip the movie. So what should I use to play the movie back once it is ripped?

3. sunny1985

sunny1985 Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2008
  4. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra

5. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

It's probably cheaper to download PowerDVD Ultra from newegg.com than to purchase directly from Cyberlink. I think it's about $70 (or was) from newegg and $99 from Cyberlink. You can kludge media player classic (free) to playback HD DVDs. It'll only playback the main titles though. WinDVD is another program available but is lacking. There's another Japanese-based program that's not yet available in the U.S.

Edit: Nero Showtime with the Bluray and HDDVD plugins will also playback.

PowerDVD has its share of problems but is about the only fully functional alternative available. You will not be able to playback ripped HD DVDs as files (anydvdhd ripper) from your HDD unless you use one of the older versions which won't playback the newer titles in some cases. You best bet is to rip as an ISO in the first place with DVD Decrypter, etc., with AnyDVDHD running or use ImgBurn to construct an ISO image (UDF) file from the ripped files from the AnyDVDHD ripper. The ISOs can then be mounted with Daemon Tools or another virtual DVD mounter and PowerDVD Ultra will be happy.

Visit the AVSForums and the Slysoft forums for additional info.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=773218
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=892527
    http://forum.slysoft.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

For playback on your PC you will need a good processor and a good HD decoding video card like the ATI 2600xt, nVidia 8600gt, or one of the 3000 series from ATI.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  6. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

hello guys
    i have a question
    is there anyway that we can just rip the movie from hddvd /bluray
    like we do with dvd's
    is it possible yet!! or is it too early

7. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

AnyDVDHD or DVDFab HD Decrypter

8. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

does the anydvdhd and dvdfab hd does rip the only movie frm the hddvd!!!!

9. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Both rip the entire disk into its requisite files. There is no ripping software that presently rips only the main movie title.

10. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

thank you laddyboy

i thought so
    hey atleaset we canrip these suckers to our hd
    thats a good start

11. kokonutt

kokonutt Guest

Quick question... once the files have been ripped, is there a way to burn them to a DVD? If so, how is that done... through which program? Do they sell special blank HD DVDs? Please advise.

12. housonsne

housonsne Guest

13. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

Just want to point out that on the Blue Ray Forums. People have successfully ripped the BR movie rebuilded the files so that just the movie can be burned to a DL disc with minimal quality loss and playable as a backup on PS3 machines. How is that camp so advanced in the backup process? and why are we still in the dark? I know there are several geniuses out there that own HD DVD players and can figure out how to make either 1:1 backups on on HD discs or slightly compressed to fit on DL discs. Where are you guys? I got my xbox360 dirt cheap and want to start buying more hddvds but I want to make sure that I can back them up. I am starting to consider buying a BR player and BR movies since they are progressing rapidly on the backup process.