1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA to HDMI possible?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by xalaros, Feb 28, 2006.

1. jigdish

jigdish Member

After reading the 6 pages of this thread I'm more confused than ever about what works and what will not work.

My 50" DLP has the following outputs
    s video
    VGA labled PC
    DVI
    RS-232

I'm using the DVI with my DIRECTV.

My HP PC has the following outputs:
    HDMI
    Svideo
    digital video output that my monitor is hooked up to?

I just want to be able to play streamed tv shows on my TV and the S Video doesnt have very good quality?

can I run some kind of a splitter on the DVI input on the TV to plug both the computer and the satellite into?

Or in my case since I have an HDMI out put from the computer and a VGA input on the TV will it work?

Thanks

Jig

2. maitland

maitland Member

@jigdish:

as long as you aren't trying to watch blu-rays on your computer, you can connect the dvi output of your cpu to the vga input of your teevee. Your computer probably came with a dvi->vga adapter. Otherwise, you can buy a dvi->vga cable or adapter.

if you still want to have your computer monitor connected, get an hdmi->dvi adapter or an hdmi->dvi cable and plug your monitor in that way.

To summarize:

Your set-top box remains connected as before (dvi->dvi)
    Your computer connects to the teevee via dvi->vga
    Your computer connects to the monitor via hdmi->dvi

3. chewman

chewman Member

hi, i'm new but have an old question. i want to hook up my laptop to my plasma so i bought a vga to hdmi cable. it didn't work. i only have rgb and rca and hdmi hook-ups in the back of my tv. my question is, will vga to rgb cables work ? thank you.

4. maitland

maitland Member

@chewman

when you say your teevee has rgb, you are just referring to the color of the cable connectors right? Most consumer teevees do y-pb-pr component inputs.

It's possible that your computer will output y-pb-pr. If not, you will need some type of vga->y-pb-pr converter, such as this one.

(please note: i'm not endorsing this particular product in any way! It's just an example of what you will probably need if your computer doesn't output y-pb-pr signal through it's vga port)

~Maitland

5. sukhy

sukhy Guest

Hi, I just signed in to ans. the Op's question...I had been through a same problem and I was able to find a solution for it.
    Here it's what I bought and used for almost 6 months until I bought a real Htpc.
    trust me it was the best and cheap solution.
    good luck.

6. chewman

chewman Member

thanks for the reply maitland. yes i was refering to the colors because i thought thats the name of the cable. i know rca are the yellow red white. what about an adapter from vga to dvi? will this work also. vga is analog and dvi is digital, will the adapter convert it??? they sound like stupid questions, but i'm very technically illiterate ,lol

7. pleeshelp

pleeshelp Member

I understand vga to hdmi isn't possible with just a cable.. I bought one from ebay from china or korea or whatever and It's useless It did not work whatsoever so here is my delima maybe someone can help me I would like to connect my pc to my tv

my pc is a Dell Inspiron 530s (S) meaning slim and takes a low profile video card if an update is necessary and it has integrated vga

my tv is a philips 1080p hd 42" lcd with hdmi composite rca inputs any suggestions short of spending 200 dollars on a converter box?

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

9. maitland

maitland Member

@creaky

apology accepted!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  10. maitland

maitland Member

@chewman

usually dvi outputs carry both analog and digital signals. Therefore, you can usually connect a dvi output to an hdmi (digital) OR a VGA (analog) input.

I've never tried connecting a VGA output to a dvi input, but I figure it prolly doesn't work.

You didn't say your teevee had a dvi input, anyway, correct?

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

maitland - Apologies, looks like i made a mistake. In 5 years here i've never even heard of MP3Lizard, not my bag so to speak. I'll leave the thread in peace.

12. chewman

chewman Member

13. dabooj

dabooj Member

Hi guys,

I have a PC with a Geforce 6800 xt graphics card with a dvi output. I have just purchased a LG Lh5000 37inch lcd tv and this has the VGA connection as well as the RCA (red, white & yellow cable connection) and HDMI connections.
    I simply want to know which one of the connection metods would give me the best picture on my TV. I have a Blu-ray writer/player in my PC & want to watch blu-ray movies connected to my LCD TV so which connection will give me the best picture?

Regards, Shuja

14. INFEST

INFEST Member

15. dabooj

dabooj Member

Thanks INFEST, that converter does sound useful.
    BUT i still don't have an answer to my question of which is the best connection to use from a PC to LCD tv.
    I have a geforce 6800 xt graphics card with dvi output plus the s-video splitter output and i have a LG LH5000 lcd tv which has hdmi, vga, component & RCA connections.
    So which of these would be the best for picture quality &getting full HD content viewable from pc to TV?
    I have tried the DVI to HDMI cable & this looked pretty good. I don't want to go around and spend money on all the cable combinations possible to connect my pc to my tv so your advice would be useful. So is DVI to HDMI the best picture quality connection for my pc-tv?

16. nerys

nerys Member

Damn I think I know the answer already so WHAT IS the purpose of this VGA to HDMI cable I have?

I got it some time ago with the intent of eventually going to a 1080p screen and now I am trying to use it but the television says no signal.

If the cable can not take the VGA output from my computer and put it into the HDMI on its other end what is the purpose of these cables?

17. sjbort

sjbort Member

I have been reading this thread and I am wondering the same thing. I have tried desperately to figure out on my own how to take our 27" Phillips LCD HDTV (1080p) and use it as a computer monitor (mainly to watch movies that we have on our PC). I am thoroughly confused now after doing the research because I see so many names of cables and converters. VGA, HDMI, DVI, then there's VGA to HDMI, HDMI to VGA, etc, ect... Can you provide me with a simple answer of what I will need to use my TV as a monitor?

18. jenney1234

jenney1234 Member

19. redcape

redcape Regular member

I have connected my laptop to my HDTV using an analog RGB cable. My HDTV has an Analog RGB PC input, so I connect to my laptop. great picture but no sound. I can't seem to find how to fix this. I need some advice. BTW, the laptop I have is old. It's a Toshiba.

20. Jemborg

Jemborg Member

May I be of assistance redcape?

It sounds like you have done a great job already. I'll assume your old Toshiba laptop does not have HDMI or DVI out... right?

Sound is not carried over any video cables usually. Sometimes an internal SPDIF or similar connection can be made from a desktop mobo or audio-card to the video card so sound will be passed through the video cable. If your laptop does not already do this I would say it's a no go.

What sort of audio outputs does your lappy have? Do you only have headphones out or is there other audio outputs? See if you can use some separate audio connection cable(s) to the HDTV (if that's possible) i.e. see if you can input sound from your lappy independently from the video signal. Barring that, your best bet is to connect to a receiver/amp ~ so you need a phono to RCA cable. Or just connect to some ordinary desktop computer speakers for louder sound. Usually you can change the output from "headphones" to something like "speaker out" with the audio drivers, but that is not essential.

Only recently have ATi bought out video cards ~ the Radeon HD 5xxx PCI series ~ with audio processors onboard so true HD 7.1 channel (or lower) can be passed over a compatible AV cable (like HDMI) to a device. This has not been possible before without a special PCI audio card.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TO OTHERS posting on this thread about the best connection to a HDTV:

For heaven's sake... if your rig has no HDMI output but has a DVI output use that with a DVI to HDMI adapter plug or cable.

It's cheap.

You can go via DVI to the VGA input to the telly in the same way, if you have to, but you will not get the best signal quality/resolution if you do. Most, if any, HDTVs do not offer full 1080p via VGA. It's a route to take if you have no alternative.

See above for the audio considerations.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010