AfterDawn Forums

using external hard drive with ps3

This discussion thread has 41 messages.

I'm trying to play my divx files that I have on my external hard drive. I have it plugged into the usb ports on the ps3 but I cant find it in any of the menus. Anyone know what I need to do to get this to work?
▼▼ This topic has 40 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
make folders on the hard drive named PS3->VIDEO->put you videos there

Then just search the media server thing?
You could just press triangle on the Hardrive icon,it should bring up a menu then you just select play all.

Also your Hardrive needs to be Fat32.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Dec 2007 @ 3:46
Originally posted by cypres:
Then just search the media server thing?
as marcusita said you have to format the hard drive to fat32 before the ps3 can read it. when it is it will show up just like a usb stick or sd card does.

I've been doing some googling into how to format it to fat32 but my external drive is 320 gigs and I've read that fat32 cant handle something that large. Am I pretty much screwed? If not, does anyone have any step by step instructions to format it? I read that I can create partitions for it but I dont have any idea what that is or how to do that. Thanks.
Originally posted by cypres:
I've been doing some googling into how to format it to fat32 but my external drive is 320 gigs and I've read that fat32 cant handle something that large. Am I pretty much screwed? If not, does anyone have any step by step instructions to format it? I read that I can create partitions for it but I dont have any idea what that is or how to do that. Thanks.

I have a 60gb Fat32 partition on my 120gb Harddrive,im not sure how much more space i can allocate to the Fat32 Partition,i havnt tried it yet,also you can only put files which do not exceed 4gb on Fat32.
I just did a search on here (which I probably should have done in the first place) and I found a thread that said I can use swissknife to format a 32 gig partition as fat32. Does that mean that I am taking 32gigs of my drive and only converting that amount to fat32 and the rest stays the same?
Yes only 32gb will be formated to Fat32,if the thread is correct,i will get you a tutorial on how to partition a Harddrive.
no your not screwed, just download this program:
http://www.download.com/CompuApps-SwissK...tml?tag=tab_pub
install it.
plug your hard drive in your pc open the program.
click your drive in the devices list.
click format to erase everything.
once finished click partition type and select primary and then file system and select fat32.
drag the bar to the right of the pie chart all the way to the bottom, so the whole pie chart turns blue.
click create.
make folders on your hard drive like:
PS3->VIDEO->then put your videos there.
it will format the whole 320gb.
hope this helps.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Dec 2007 @ 7:59

Just do as NinReznor says and you should be fine and if you have anything important on your Harddrive back it up because you will lose everything you have stored on it once you format and partition it.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Dec 2007 @ 8:22
sweet. Thanks for all your help. I'm going to try this as soon as I get home. I will let you know how it goes.
oh and remember to click the right hard drive you dont want to be formatting your pcs hd now!

HAHAHAH Yeah... I thought about that.... I'm going to do this before I start drinking today.
Okay... So I have downloaded and installed the swissknife and every time I click on my external hdd device I get a message saying the program has an error and must close. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it but I get the same problem.... but one time I was able to click it and it registered the external hdd but I couldnt find the format button...

are there any other programs I can use for this?
I used partition magic. let me know if u need it
I like how everyone has an early answer for a situation suposedly walking you through the process. Second hand (I heard of someone doing it this way). But once you run into a problem you can't get a response back. As if everyone that posted prior too fell off the planet. If you really know what you are doing and HAVE DONE IT BEFORE then by all means please post. But if you do not have hands on experience please say I do not know. The reason for this post is I have been screwed a few times in the past with internal PC problems. Leason learned. But if someone has formated an external hard drive and has had it work on a PS3 please respond. Thanks for everyone that knows what they are doing you are appreciated.
Originally posted by piloxi:
I like how everyone has an early answer for a situation suposedly walking you through the process. Second hand (I heard of someone doing it this way). But once you run into a problem you can't get a response back. As if everyone that posted prior too fell off the planet. If you really know what you are doing and HAVE DONE IT BEFORE then by all means please post. But if you do not have hands on experience please say I do not know. The reason for this post is I have been screwed a few times in the past with internal PC problems. Leason learned. But if someone has formated an external hard drive and has had it work on a PS3 please respond. Thanks for everyone that knows what they are doing you are appreciated.
I know what im talking about,if i didnt i wouldnt bother posting messages.
i formatted my 200Gb seagate doing exactly what i posted, it worked for me. on the other hand we could always not try and help and tell them to go here

Originally posted by NinReznor:
i formatted my 200Gb seagate doing exactly what i posted, it worked for me. on the other hand we could always not try and help and tell them to go here

Very nicely put NinReznor,some people dont appreciate help,as far as i see you gave a detailed description on how to partition and format a Harddrive for use with the PS3.
Quote:
Okay... So I have downloaded and installed the swissknife and every time I click on my external hdd device I get a message saying the program has an error and must close. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it but I get the same problem.... but one time I was able to click it and it registered the external hdd but I couldnt find the format button...

one of the users comment on that download page says,

"Cons: Searching download.com for xp software brought up this item, but in the documentation list of OS xp is omitted and it crashes in xp."

its not supported on XP i guess

:)
Originally posted by vjineo:
Quote:

one of the users comment on that download page says,

"Cons: Searching download.com for xp software brought up this item, but in the documentation list of OS xp is omitted and it crashes in xp."

its not supported on XP i guess

I just installed it because you said this,i have XP,it works fine.Also Cypres i found these two tools on a site called Softpedia. Here is a link to a search i did on the site.
http://www.softpedia.com/progSearch

I havnt used those tools myself,i use a peice of software called Acronis Disk Director Suite.
Here is a link to a Demo version.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File...tor-Suite.shtml
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Dec 2007 @ 10:27
dave6700 Suspended due non-functional email address

Hi Cypress,

This is my first post on this site, and i had the same problem as you when formatting my external 160gig. the advice you were given from ninreznor is 100% correct. (hope ya found what u were lookin for on google piloxi)To overcome this problem i found it was conflicting with other usb devices connected at the same time. so once i had disconnected all other usb devices besides my mouse it was visible and formatted fine. Hope this helps.

Dave.
OK HERE IT IS. BIGGER HARD DRIVES, EXTERNAL HARDDRIVES AND GAME COPYING
ok check it out. the ps3 hd uses the fat 32 file system. so here goes. go buy a big laptop Serial ATA hd, and plug it in to the ps3. turn it on and keep hitting ok until it formats the hd to the ps3 os. then to make an external hd system buy some external hd and hook it up to your computer, not your ps3. once the hd is connected to your computer go to start control panel, administrative tools, computer management and select disk manager on the left hand side. select the external hd and read the file system, its NTFS. Right click the disk and Select Delete Partition. you have to delet that to make room for your Fat 32 partition. However Windows xp cant format into fat32 so you will have to dl a program like "Swiss Knife" once you have that run it and select your hd and format to your likeing in fat32. or you can do it if you have an old pc with 98. hook it up and it will do it for you too. once done go into the hd and Creat 4 folders. "Photo" "Music" "Video" "Game" then fill till your hearts content. then hook it up to your ps3. and yes. you can download ps3 data off the ps network to it. like games and demos. and then you can connect it back to your computer and copy it to all your friends who followed this same guide
OK HERE IT IS. BIGGER HARD DRIVES, EXTERNAL HARDDRIVES AND GAME COPYING
ok check it out. the ps3 hd uses the fat 32 file system. so here goes. go buy a big laptop Serial ATA hd, and plug it in to the ps3. turn it on and keep hitting ok until it formats the hd to the ps3 os. then to make an external hd system buy some external hd and hook it up to your computer, not your ps3. once the hd is connected to your computer go to start control panel, administrative tools, computer management and select disk manager on the left hand side. select the external hd and read the file system, its NTFS. Right click the disk and Select Delete Partition. you have to delet that to make room for your Fat 32 partition. However Windows xp cant format into fat32 so you will have to dl a program like "Swiss Knife" once you have that run it and select your hd and format to your likeing in fat32. or you can do it if you have an old pc with 98. hook it up and it will do it for you too. once done go into the hd and Creat 4 folders. "Photo" "Music" "Video" "Game" then fill till your hearts content. then hook it up to your ps3. and yes. you can download ps3 data off the ps network to it. like games and demos. and then you can connect it back to your computer and copy it to all your friends who followed this same guide

PS3 300 GB SATA HD: Yellow Dog Linux 2nd OS. External 720 GB SATA HD USB
no your not screwed, just download this program:
http://www.download.com/CompuApps-SwissK...tml?tag=tab_pub
install it.
plug your hard drive in your pc open the program.
click your drive in the devices list.

click format to erase everything.
once finished click partition type and select primary and then file system and select fat32.
drag the bar to the right of the pie chart all the way to the bottom, so the whole pie chart turns blue.
click create.
make folders on your hard drive like:
PS3->VIDEO->then put your videos there.
it will format the whole 320gb.
hope this helps.
thank you NinReznor
i followed this post and it works a treat
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.