1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nokia DBox2 freezes due to SNR / BER etc?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by cy80rg, Dec 21, 2007.

1. cy80rg

cy80rg Member

Hi guys,

Intermittently (arent they always?! ) my nokia dbox2 will freeze, channels not view at all, or view for c30 seconds then freeze.

I've read - and understand - that this may be due to a low or noisy signal, so the following are my stats from the techncial information screen (red then blue).

These are taken under normal - ie working ok - conditions:

BER - Max: 210 Min:50 Current: 70-230
    SNR - Max: 61937 Min: 60395 Curr: c61k
    SIG: Max: 40606 Min: 40349 Curr: c40349
    Bitrate: Max: 3625 Min: 3358 Curr: c34500

I'm not quite sure whats good / acceptable on these, but the SNR looks high to me - always the highest on the graph, and above sig.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I'm going to check the connections, check im running a good qual satGrade cable etc, as well as a booster if you guys suggest.

However, if it's a noisy signal - presumably any booster will just boost the noise as well?

In terms of set up, im on VMed (ex N*L) - the Dbox is the first on the loop, which then goes upstairs, where it's split between the original STB and my b/band connection.

To my mind, the fact that the Db2 is first in the loop would mean that its got the best signal available on my "network"?

Any help apreciated...

BTW - im running Commando 8.2, looking to upgrade to the latest stable v9.
    Does anyone know if V9.x handles dirty signals better than 8.3?

Update_________

On some of the problem channels - i.e Discover Channel - I get black screen with the occasional snatch of audio.

**These stats are taken under problem / error / channel not showing conditions.

Stats as follows:

Ber: Mx: 100 Mn: 0 Cnt: 70
    SNR MX:61937 Mn: 60395 Cnt: 61600
    SIG MX: 40606 Mn: 40092 CNT: 40349
    Bitrate MX 4803 Mn: 1624 CNT: 2550

Does this indicate the reason / solution to anyone?

Update:

During writting this with the stream info showing, the max BER has gone up to 3800...

2. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Try a other ucode version and reboot the dbox.