1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

internet movie to DVD

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by gkmcaulif, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkmcaulif

gkmcaulif Member

I can play some movies from Netflix on my computer - over the internet legally. Can I copy them to DVD so I can see them on my TV? How? GKM

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yes but since there rented movies its considered piracy and not allowed in here so i would edit your post

3. cypres

cypres Member

A legal way to do this is run an s cable from your pc to your tv and set your computer to extended desktop. Right click on your video card icon at the bottom right. Then, I think its the graphics option but browse through there and you should find the extened desktop option. Then buy this for your audio:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882203023

Plug one end into your headphone jack and the other into your tv or receiver. Then move the screen with the movie through the side of your monitor (try left and right) and you should see the movie on your tv. And there you have it......

If you dont have a laptop or your desktop isnt near your tv then follow ZoSoIV's advice.....

4. gkmcaulif

gkmcaulif Member

Note that it is legal for me to view and play some movies from Netflix on my computer. A previous reply showed a cumbersome method of showing such movies on a TV - for which I thank that contributor. But if that is legal, as I assume it is, why might it not be legal to do so by a less cumbersome method: by transferring them via a DVD? That was what I wanted to know. Can it be done?

Gerry

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yes you can watch them on your TV ,PC etc. that is legal . It is Illegal to transfer them to DVD though. yes it can be done but is against forum rules to say how. I think we told you that already . read the netflix agreement

http://www.netflix.com/TermsOfUse?hnjr=8#claims

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  6. gkmcaulif

gkmcaulif Member

I had asked whether it was possible to copy movies from Netflix that I can see on my computer; I can legally see them. This is included in my monthly cost.

I wanted to know whether it was possible to copy them on to a DVD that could be played on my TV. I was told that this was illegal, and to look at my agreement. I did, but I did not see that the legalese ever envisions such copying.

OK, so maybe a lawyer could find such a prohibition. But let me ask a further question: Can I copy them onto a file on my PC, not onto a DVD?

None of this seems to be as simple as it may appear.

Gerry

7. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

basically you can't remove the copy protection whether you putting it on a DVD or a file on your PC . putting the file on your PC is still removing the copy protection which is Illegal

it is simply,theres no angle to do this legally.end of story!!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  8. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

What part of "illegal" do you not understand?

9. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

lol bilbo65 maybe after my third post saying its Illegal he will get it

10. gkmcaulif

gkmcaulif Member

How do you know it is illegal to copy a movie received over the internet, to copy it to DVD? I looked at Netflix, and it didn't say so. Just SAYING it is illegal doesn't make it so!

Now if I said I GAVE it to somebody else, or SOLD it! That would obviously be something else.

Gerry

11. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

because you don't own the movie and you have to remove the copy protection to get it to your HD

12. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

You "rented" it over the web which is the same as
    "renting" it by mail etc., and is illegal to copy. If you had "downloaded" it from a torrent or p2p pirate web site, many people here would probably help you in your quest.

Personally, I see no difference. Renting or downloading pirated material is still illegal and immoral, IMO.

'Nough said.

13. gkmcaulif

gkmcaulif Member

It is not illegal for me to download and look at Netflix movies on my computer screen. All I want to do is look at them on my TV screen. Netflix does not say it is illegal. Transferring via DVD would be easy. What's the problem? GKM

14. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Putting it on a DVD makes it illegal!!!!!!

15. aldan

aldan Active member

good god boy,can you say the word obtuse.i knew you could.

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You're right, it's not illegal to use your TV as a monitor. However it is illegal to make a copy of any sort to transfer the material. Use the link provided by ZoZoIV, http://www.netflix.com/TermsOfUse?hnjr=8#claims , and read the Limitations of use along with the part on copyright infringement. The part below from Limitations is most pertinent. Pay close attention to the part I highlighted in red.

Tell us what part of "may not" and "does not promote, foster or condone" that you don't understand.

Netflix said no, so your agreement with them makes it illegal to copy to your hard drive or make DVDs. If you didn't sign an agreement to use the Netflix site, then that's another law that's been broken. It can't get any more simple. Then you get to play with Big Brother who says it's illegal to infringe on copyrighted material, even when no monetary gain is involved. Read one of the warnings on a retail DVD.

It's nothing to me, I'm just pointing out the agreement you agreed to with Netflix, or were supposed to.

17. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Yes it is possible, BUT I don't know how.

18. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

closed due to piracy & stupidity

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.