1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Samsung HT-X50 Home Theater Sound Issue

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by PatFan48, Jan 6, 2008.

1. PatFan48

PatFan48 Member

Hi All. I could use some help is setting up my Home Theater System. I have a Samsung XT-X50 Home Theater System. I have it hooked up via Compnent Cables to a Samsung LCD Television. I also have a digital cable box hooked up to the same television using a HDMI cable. The problem I am having is when I play a DVD in the HT-X50, all the speakers work perfectly, but when I am just watching TV, the sound only comes through the TV, not the Home Theater System. Anyone know how I can get it to play through the Home Theater speakers all the time? I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks very much.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Do you have the cable box hooked up to the Samsung receiver, with an optical cable, for audio? If not, it should be!
    Once hooked up with optical cable from digital cable box to receiver, you may need to go into the cable box setup menus, and set the audio output to Dolby Digital. You may also need to go into the receiver's setup menus, and assign the optical input, to the tv. Since there's only one optical input, you may not need to assign it. I'm not sure. The owner's manual should tell you that. Also, turn the tv's sound off. In a home theater, the tv is used only for video, not any audio.

You realize that the only channels that broadcast in 5.1 surround are the HD channels, some premium movie channels (HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc.), and some PPV channels? The rest can be set to play in Dolby Pro Logic (simulated surround). Some of those channels will sound better than others.
    Good luck!

EDIT:
    If your digital cable box doesn't have an optical output, it should have a digital coax output (either orange or black color coded, rca type connection). Since your receiver doesn't have a digital coax input, you'll need this, to go from a coax to an optical:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=180-960

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  3. allybhoy

allybhoy Member

So if I want to connect my xbox,playstation etc can I just connect the mentioned optical cable to my tv (samsung PS42C96HDX 42") and home theater system (Xt40) and that should play the sound of both my digital cable box and my xbox etc? Is there any possible way to play the sound using the existing HDMI cable no? On my old system I just used one scart to play both dvd's and to use sound when i was watching normal tv by setting my surround sound to TV

4. JVC

JVC Active member

I have no idea about scart. We don't have those type connections, here in the US.
    Don't run the optical cable to the tv. Just run it to the receiver. TV is used only for video, in a home theater setup. Run the video straight to tv, or to receiver, then out to tv. You may have to assign the optical input on the receiver, to what's connected, before it plays right.

5. allybhoy

allybhoy Member

Well like i said if i do that i obviously wont have surround sound when i play my xbox playstation etc if its just connected to the cable box, plus my cable box doesnt have an optical out