Disk Failed to Play

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Clairec, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Clairec

Clairec Member

Brand new here. Working from the Guide I managed to change my VOB files to an iso single project file and I burned and verified that file to disk. I then put the disk in my Sony DVD/VHS player and an error message came up.

During the build mode, I did get an error message saying iso files were missing and I was asked if I wanted to continue. For a number of times I chose "no" thinking why continue if something is missing? Then I decided to try "yes" and saw what I assumed was a conversion to give me what I was missing. But maybe not. Maybe the disk failed because something was still missing.

My VOB files were compiled from DVDLab STUDIO -- if that info is helpful.

What do I do now?

Thanks,

Claire

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Did you use Imgburn?

You could have used dvd shrink and had as the output iso file and then burned with imgburn.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  3. Clairec

Clairec Member

Yes, I used ImageBurn. I followed the link to DVDShrink and don't understand why I would need that. That is, I don't need a shrinking of the material because I did manage to make a disk of this project with another burn program and it didn't completely fill the disk. Also, the idea of shrinking the material makes me worry about a loss of quality. When I read about ImageBurn, it seems it should be able to handle both the conversion and the burn.

Claire

4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

You misunderstand me, dvd shrink does not need to be used to compress. It can convert a vob file to iso for a dvd-5 w/o compression if the target size is ok. The reason I suggested dvd shrink is that to me it is easier to use as a converter than imgburn for files that fit onto dvd-5.

5. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Agree with iluvendo.

Dvd Shrink is more user friendly than other converters and can easily be a part most processes.

I would suggest going that route.

6. Clairec

Clairec Member

Oh, okay. I will give a try with DVDShrink tomorrow (am cross-eyed now with tiredness).

But let me ask . . . when I went back to study ImageBurn, I noticed something that wasn't mentioned in the Guide -- the Advanced Tab/Media -- in which a selection can be make with reference to the type of disk. I have been working with +RW and the default was -RW. Could that be the reason the disk failed to play?

Claire

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

i also agree with dvd shrink! (for couple reasons)

but yes could be your +RW (there harder to get to play) unless booktyped/bitset to dvd-rom, imgburn can do this if set and your drive can bitset? while burning.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  8. Clairec

Clairec Member

Cornholio7,

I have just spent about twenty minutes trying to figure out where you wrote from, trying to join that forum – which I did – and trying to answer your message – which I couldn't do for some reason. So I am answering you here hoping you will see this – or someone will who can help me.

Thanks for the very clear instructions for using ImageBurn without creating an ISO file. These are quite different from the Guide I had been working with. Unfortunately, I'm still not having success.

The first problem comes up after I have entered my Source -- VIDEO_TS – and click on Calculate. The same error message comes up that I encountered with the other instructions I was using. It says:

FIX VTS Sectors Failed
    Reason: Could not find Video_TS IFO file

Not knowing what to do about this, I choose "Yes" to continue and the result was I could see the Min. Req. Media and Free Space entries fill in. I continued to follow the instructions, but when I pressed the Build start button, a second error message appeared once again talking about failed sectors, etc. I choose "Yes" again -- choosing "No" just stops everything and I was hoping it all might work anyway. But once again the "Operation Successfully Completed" at the end wasn't true and the disk would not play in my Sony player.

I keep rewriting the same disk (Sony DVD+RW). Could that be my problem? Could it be that the compilation from DVDLab-STUDIO is somehow lacking? It did work once for me (on another burn software), but then never again on that software. This is really driving me crazy.

Claire

9. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

10. ascii

ascii Member

You do not always have to compress in dvdshrink, ditching not needed ac-3 streams can result in a no loss single layer movie.

Also ImgBurn is a writing app it does not convert video material.

11. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Is that you donta?

iluvendo & 7thsinger

You guys really should use Imgburn a bit more and your opinion would change.

What was the original format of the files you created?

12. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If indeed DVDLab STUDIO did not create an IFO, that's why you can't buid the ISO,and probably DVD Shrink will not be able to open it either. You could download IFOEdit and try to create your own IFO file.

13. Clairec

Clairec Member

My mpg video files were converted to mpv and _conv.wav for DVD Lab.

14. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

I've had such good luck with Dvd Shrink, i haven't messed with it too much. Maybe i'll give it a whirl.

15. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

16. Clairec

Clairec Member

Cyprusrom,

<Look in your Video_TS folder and see if you find that stinking IFO. If not, that's the problem, just like the error says. It CANNOT be played in a standalone without the missing IFO!!!

There is absolutely no IFO file in that folder. Thanks for at least one definitive answer for me. I'll check out the references you sent.

Claire

17. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

18. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

i did not know you could do that to an +rw...
    can you still erase them?

19. Clairec

Clairec Member

Cyprusrom,

I have bookmarked the DVD Flick site for possible use. I am trying first, however, to find out why STUDIO is not giving me the IFO file. In STUDIO Help, it makes clear that an IFO file should be in the Complilation. I want to make it work with STUDIO because I've spent an enormous amount of time learning the software and setting up my hour-long instructional video with close to thirty menus in it. I also paid over a hundred dollars for that software and I like all the options it gave me.

You've really helped by making clear to me that the missing IFO file is my problem. Thanks. I hope eventually to be able to use Image Burn successfully. It looks so promising.

Claire

20. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Claire,
    You're welcome. When you find the answer( over $100 software should come with some good tech support, you'd think), let us know so we can learn something. DVD Flick does not have menu creation option.
    Cheers!