1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full Guide to Gamecube Backup/Booting

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Icemonkey, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

My PM box is full with requests for info on Gamecube backups so here's a basic tutorial:

Full Gamecube backup/load tutorial v1.0

--------------------

Phase 1: Initialize the memory card
    Tools Needed: PSUL v1.1
    Phantasy Star Online Game Disc
    Memory Card
    Gamecube Broadband Adapter

Note: If you actually play Phantasy Star Online, you may want to use another memory card for this. Also, you only

have to initialize your memory card once, not before each rip or game load.

Step 1: Boot Phantasy Star Online Game Disc
    Pretty self explanitory.

Step 2: Setup Network Profile

When prompted for the TCP/IP settings, choose manual, do not auto-disconnect, and enter an IP address of

192.168.1.32 with a subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and a default gateway of 192.168.1.100. For the Primary DNS server,

enter 192.168.1.100. Start the PSUL utility on the PC side with the following DOS prompt command: "psul -s". This

make your PC into a sort of Phantasy Star Online game server. Now start an online game using the character you

chose and the DOL file will upload to your memory card allowing you to transfer game data to and from your PC.

Step 3: Configure TCP/IP on your PC

Access the TCPI/IP properties for the network card on your PC and change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. No default gateway is required for this to work.

Step 4: Create a Character for Online Play

Next, create a character. It really doesn't how or which character you choose. When prompted for your

hunter's license, enter anything you wish. It also might be handy to select the save password to memory card as

well so you don't have to enter it each time.

Step 5: Start it all up

On your PC, run "psul -s" at a DOS prompt. It should then say waiting for connection or someting to that

effect. Next, start an online game of Phantasy Star using the character profile you chose. It will then try to

connect to your PC. If successful, your PC will display the messages "Saving user info on memory card..." and

"Done..."

--------------------

Phase 2: Extract ISO Image from Game Disc

Tools Needed: Gamecube ISO Ripping Server 1.0.0.29
    Download Here: No link currently known
    Initialized Memory Card (See Phase 1)

Step1: Boot Phantasy Star Online Game Disc
    Pretty self explanatory.

Step 2: Start Gamecube ISO Ripping Server

Run the Gamecube ISO Ripping Server tool on your PC you configured above. Select the destination folder and

name for the Gamecube game image file to be created then start the utility. You should get a message stating that

it is waiting for a connection.

Step 3: Start Phantasy Star Online game in online mode
    Start Phantasy Star Online in online mode. It will connect to the server running on the PC and start

downloading the ripper code from it. When this is complete, a red screen will appear on the Gamecube and shortly

thereafter, you will be prompted to insert the disc you want to rip within 10 seconds. Do this, and once the 10

seconds has passed, your PC will start downloading the image from the disc. When complete, you should have a game

disc image on your PC approximately 1.4GB in size. Approximate download time is about an hour or so.

--------------------

Phase 3: Stream Game Disc Image to Gamecube

Tools Needed: Paradox GC Disc Server
    Download Here: http://www.maxconsole.com/?mode=downloads&filter=gc&categoryid=45
    Initialized Memory Card (See Phase 1)

Step 1: Start Paradox GC Disc Server

Start the Paradox GC Disc server on your PC. Select the correct IP address for the Gamecube and the

Gamecube disc image file you wish to load. Click start then start an online game in Phantasy Star Online. It

should connect to your PC and start executing the game you uploaded.

--------------------

Known Issues:

Remeber you are streaming game data to the Gamecube at 10 Megabits/sec. The broadband adapter is capable of

transferring data at 100 Megabits/sec., however, since the good folks at Sega assumed nobody has Internet faster

than 10 Megabits, they decided to lock the transfer speed down to that rate. There is currently as of this writing

no known fix for this but I hear something is in the works and may be released before Christmas. Games with lots of

FMV may run choppy due to peformance issues with the network speed and in-game music is usually affected as well.

One fix that helps in some cases is to remove your memory card when you get the group intro press start screen prior

to the actual game executing. To save your progress, insert your memory card when you need to save and remove it

when save completes.

If after reading this completely you have any trouble or issues feel to reply this post.

2. Maryela3

Maryela3 Guest

Thanks God i waited almost a life for this(actually just 2 years)
    I LOVE YOU ICEMONKEY
    now can i have your phone hehe
    well now i got several questions
    hm i got one of the first gamecubes the model its Dol-001(Jap/Usa) i wonder if its going to work
    another one hm where did you got this Gamecube ISO Ripping Server 1.0.0.29 ? and at least a clue of where can we get it?
    can we do the same with games that dont need the Gamecube Broadband Adapter like Zelda Windwaker Star Fox adventures Harvest Moon a Wonderfull life etc etc ?
    Do we need the black memory card?
    and if its preferiby to have a Dsl internet>? yup i guess
    what about if something break the download or is it unbreakable?
    and is there any secondary effects on your pc and in your gamecube?
    thanks for everything sorry about my questions but im pretty curious about this thing
    i will wait an answer my darling see ya!

3. account

account Guest

but you can't burn the games so if i want to play a gamecube game i have to have it hooked up to my pc at all times? and i don't own any of the stuff i need to do it (except the gamecube) how much would it cost to buy all the stuff?

4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Mariela2v:

Lets see if I can answer some of those questions. First of all, I don't see why the Gamecube you have wouldn't work. Gamecube ISO Ripping Server was aquired by a research assistant of mine from a contact on the IRC. Sorry, I don't have any more information on that. Start searching the IRC I suppose until I can get someone to host the files I have on the net. As for the memory card, you need a memory card that meets the requirements for Phantasy Star Online. I think that's well within the capacity of the older low capacity memory card. Your Internet connection does not matter as how you are not going to connect your Gamecube to the Internet. If you have a router/switch you can connect it to that. What I did was setup a dedicated PC for this purpose and ran a Cat-5 crossover cable between that network card and the Gamecube. BTW, I'm an MCSE certified network engineer. As far as I can tell, there are no secondary effect on your Gamecube but if your PC is also connected to a network you might not be able to access network resources during the connection with the cube but that's temporary.

5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

account:

No, you cannot burn a disc that will run in the Gamecube and if you mean that your PC must remain connected to the Gamecube during the play of a backup and rip of a disc, then yes, it must be connected at all times. The programs needed are freeware, the game Phantasy Star Online can be bought. It's currently going for $50 new. If you can find it cheaper, go buy it. Network adapters are a little hard to come by but if you live in the 50 U.S. States, can be bought from http://store.nintendo.com for $34.95 + shipping and applicable sales tax. Those 2 items are all you need to buy.

6. egomaniac

egomaniac Regular member

In Phase 2/Step 3....where is the game to be ripped placed? In the Gamecube or in my PC? Also how big(in mb) is this Gamecube Ripping tool?

It seems to me that there should be some way to rip games to disc(DVD-R) and have them play from your PC thru the Gamecube connected via the network card.

7. Maryela3

Maryela3 Guest

hm so in fewe words we cant do anything till we got the server do we ?
    also what is this PSUL v1.1??? i got it but i have no idea of what it is
    thanks for answer my earlier question and thanks for all Mr ICEMONKEY the respetable MCSE Cerftifed network enginner note im not making fun of that its justa kinda a sign of respect ahahhahaha
    by Marie [ =

8. account

account Guest

how big is the programs all together? why don't you just put it on a site and give us the link? also i heard that there is a way that you can get the gamecube to work without having it connected to the pc and burn the games to mini dvd discs is it true?

9. Maryela3

Maryela3 Guest

hm crap it seems that i cant do nothin without the Gamecube Iso ripping Server
    shit and it was a hell to get that BroadBord Adaptor
    damn and gamecube doesnt have any good online games

10. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

egomaniac:

You specify the destination drive and folder in the utility itself. Specify it before starting the ripping process.

11. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Mariela2v:

The PSUL utility is a simple program to allow Gamecube amature developers to upload executable code to the Gamecube using the Phantasy Star Onine exploit by tricking the game into thinking your PC is an online game server. The step involving this feature is required to configure your memory card to think your computer is the online game server.

12. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

account:

The files altogether are approximately 750KB. I don't have the resources to host these files, although, I'll send them to someone who's seriously willing to host them. As far as just burning discs and playing them on the Gamecube, no, this has not been figured out as of yet to my knowledge. There does seem to be some interesting information floating aroud about the Panasonic Q being able to read burned DVD's but standard Gamecube's cannot read DVD format discs.

13. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Sorry, double post (browser error).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2003
  14. Fix_Metal

Fix_Metal Member

Dudes I upped that damn iso tools. Grab it down here
    h t t p://fixmetal2002.gamersrevolt.it/gamecube_iso_tool.rar
    I also included the VB6 SP5 run time packet, downloaded from microsoft site. You must install it, as the readme says. Otherwise the program won't run. If you have problem, copy this file: regsvr32.exe from the win\system32 (in 98se is into system dir)into the directory where you installed the program.
    :D bye!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2003
  15. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I'm not quite sure what that tool is you posted but it seems to be corrupt none the less. Could you try testing it on your end?

16. Fix_Metal

Fix_Metal Member

it works "fine" with me. I mean that it works and it arrives at the red splash screen. But I can't get it work so on, like I already said to you in a pm....

why don't we meet on irc and you pass me your file? I'll be happy to up it on the site...
    you can find me at anytime (except the night :p) at quakenet. pm me I am in #urtitalia
    bye

17. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Well, the one you posted the link to comes up corrupt when I try to extract it with WinRAR, but I'm at work and maybe it's the older version I have. As far as it hanging on the NET UDP OPEN command, make sure the one on the PC side is running as well. If so, make sure your network is configured correctly. To solve that problem, I put a 2nd network adapter in a dedicated PC and ran a cross-over cable between them.

18. account

account Guest

when you make the backup does it make a gcm file or an iso?

19. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

It makes a gcm file that can only be upstreamed there is no way of burning gamecube games as of yet which would be nice.I heard they are making a program which makes gamecube isos files those but probably will take forever to be released.If you are looking to backup a GameCube game the best thing to do is wait until they have the emulator that makes GC isos or follow Icemonkey's steps.

20. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member