AfterDawn Forums

what is the file extension of bluray files??

This discussion thread has 3 messages.

Ok, dumb question - I'm trying to enter a post somewhere and totally forgot the file extensions of the actual video files on a blu-ray disc... 'though it was .mk2v but not sure? Googling it is bringing up a billion garbage results.
▼▼ This topic has 2 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Depends on the format the actual movie uses, the earlier Blu-Rays use regular MPEG-2 compression like DVD's; so they would have normal MPEG/VOB file extensions, but the newer ones use H.264 and VC-1, I think their .BDMV, .mk2v is th rare Matroska file format.

Originally posted by Amir89:
Depends on the format the actual movie uses, the earlier Blu-Rays use regular MPEG-2 compression like DVD's; so they would have normal MPEG/VOB file extensions, but the newer ones use H.264 and VC-1, I think their .BDMV, .mk2v is th rare Matroska file format.
.mk2v ! That was what I was looking for. I've only explored 1 BluRay disc and that was what it used.

So Blu-Ray actually uses various different formats?? All my HD-DVDs are .EVO files, no exception.

I supposed that by using different formats, BluRay is able to upgrade to the latest/best technology as it becomes available.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.