1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems burning SVCD

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by suprcouch, Jan 15, 2008.

1. suprcouch

suprcouch Member

I tried to burn a 55min. AVI file for a SVCD. The file size is 699MB. Everything was fine, except after encoding I get a message telling me that the disc entered does not have enough space. Confused, I clicked "cancel", went back to the start page and found that the total length of the video somehow became over 100 minutes. Help?

2. tphalex

tphalex Member

The 699 MB is the size of the FILE.

When you open it with the program you use to burn it to SVCD (Super Video CD)the program only gives you an estimate of the size.

But since you are making a SVCD you are changing the file format and other stuff like the size and quality (widht,height and pixels).
    You are converting it, encoding it.

That's why after encoding the video the program sees it's larger.

This can change the overall size of the files contained in the cd and if you put a menu on the cd that can take some size too.

If the video is 699 MB large then it's obvious that, after encoding, it will be approximately twice the size as the original file.

And if we look at what you said
    AND
    then amazingly we can see that I am right: a little less than the double.

Solution: Well, you can't burn it on SVCD, your video is too large.

Try burning it on DVD,you will need a DVD-R or DVD+R (i suggest DVD-R, better compatibility), a DVD burner and some software.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

HMMM...unless something went wrong during the conversion, you should not have 100 minutes.
    The resulting CD will increase in size( MB) but should not increase in length(minutes). If it does, that is an aberration,something got messed up during conversion or the OS does not read it okay.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  4. tphalex

tphalex Member

You're right, I don't know why I said that, what you said completely makes sense. (Whas I asleep or on drugs when I made that post?!).

Then what IS the problem?What I thought when I wrote my other post is that maybe the software had converted the video and made it twice as slow, but why would it stretch the video?

The software must be really f***** up, if it's using Windows that this occurred then it's possible that strange stuff like this may happen and it depends on your PC (it may vary).

If you're using a MAC then it must be the OS.

Sorry for my first post, that post should go on the wall of shame.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

:~)LOL,
    You should see my wall of shame!
    I don't really know what happened, if the length displayed by windows is correct, then it must've insertrd a bunch of extra frames or something...I don't know, don't care too much about VCDs, don't play with them. A pain in the arse.