1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista and XP file and printer sharing

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by NatmanH, Jan 15, 2008.

1. NatmanH

NatmanH Guest

how do i get file and printer sharing working between my Vista laptop and XP desktop? i can connect to the intrnet on vista but cant see the XP desktop under Network so i cant send files to XP. On XP i can see the laptop but when i try accessing it it says "\\Vistalaptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found." My firewall is off on Vista laptop and my settings on vista under Network and Sharing Center are:
    Network Discovery = ON
    File Sharing = ON
    Public Folder Sharing = ON
    Printer Sharing = ON
    Password Protected Sharing = OFF
    Media Sharing = ON.

Firewall is off on XP too. I have had file and printer sharing work for me before. Do i need to enable somethng on XP? or Vista? i do have automatic updates turned on in vista. could one of the updates installed cause this?
    PLEASE help.

2. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

i had the same problem, but with a vista desktop and xp laptop.

you have to do more work because you have a xp desktop. one, you have to download the LLTD patch from microsoft, found HERE; that will allow the xp desktop to be viewed in vista. then, go HERE and read the response number 1 post.

also, you have to make sure that the workgroup name are the same; xp will have MSHOME and vista will have WORKGROUP. change them to your own workgroup name.

3. NatmanH

NatmanH Guest

thanks for responding.
    do i run the LLTD patch on XP? or Vista laptop?

4. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

run the LLTD patch on xp; vista already has it. if you have more than one computer with xp, each one will need the LLTD patch. after installing, restart and check if the vista laptop can be seen now.

5. NatmanH

NatmanH Guest

i ran the LLTD patch on XP. but i always was able to see the vista laptop on xp desktop but never able to access it. after running the patch on xp i still couldn't access it so it didn't make a difference. I installed Windows Resource Kit Tools on Vista and entered all those command lines successfuly, as you told me to in that link you gave. I rebooted both machines; still cant access vista laptop from xp, and i still can't even see the XP desktop on vista under network.

6. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

maybe you need to use the SP3 beta update. i have that installed on the xp laptop, but not sure if it was really needed. download it from microsoft HERE, and try it out.

and i'm assuming you changed the workgroup name on each computer so they match eachother? because i think the desktop can always see what laptops are connected on the network, but the laptops can't see the desktop until the workgroup name is the same as the desktop.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  7. NatmanH

NatmanH Guest

yes both are named WORKGROUP. but i still can not see the xp desktop. anything else i could try? i realy wanna get this working

8. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

try the SP3 update. can't hurt. besides, there's a slight increase in overall performance with it.

also, look HERE. the person had the same situation as you; xp desktop, vista laptop.

9. NatmanH

NatmanH Guest

dont want to download SP3. SP3 shouldn't change anything anyway because i have had it working before but i cant rememba how.
    i followed that link and did what he did and changed the restrictanonymous key value to 0 on both machines and reboot but didnt do anything. i can still see the vista laptop on XP but cant access it. I can see the XP desktop in network and sharing center if i go full map network but cant click on it and cant see xp desktop in network.

10. NatmanH

NatmanH Guest

oh thanks for your help but i just figured it out how to do it. I had to remove all that norton/symantec crap they pre-load onto your computer off my vista laptop. File and printer sharing is working perfectly now both ways! so anyway thanks for helpin

11. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

third party firewalls. luckily my mcafee is already set so that it accepts all incoming connections on my network.

good thing you removed those trial(?) software.