AfterDawn: Tech news

BBC to continue dual format HD releases

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 16 Jan 2008 6:34 User comments (15)

BBC to continue dual format HD releases Despite Warner's decision to go Blu-ray exclusive and the subsequent decisions by HBO and New Line to follow their parent company into HD exclusivity, many figured that the BBC, whose U.S. releases are distributed by Warner Bros., would follow suit.
A company spokesperson for BBC has announced however that the company will remain dual format for the time being and that they need to "evaluate the marketplace before committing to one format."

BBC also cited the remarkable sales of its "Planet Earth" box set, which sold well in both formats (but better in HD DVD than Blu-ray). The spokesman also explained they had high hopes for upcoming dual format HD titles already planned for 2008.

AfterDawn.com Hardware Section

Toshiba HD-A3

LG BH100

Toshiba HD-A2

Sony PlayStation 3 40GB

Samsung BD-UP5000
Click here to see all Blu-ray players! - Click here to see HD DVD players !

Previous Next  

15 user comments

116.1.2008 19:17
red2tango
Inactive

I don't understand why every time something has to do with HD formats, the topic sentence must be: "Despite Warner's decision to go Blu-ray exclusive". Yes we already know that they went exclusive, but that does not mean that everything is based on that.

216.1.2008 19:35

Originally posted by red2tango:
I don't understand why every time something has to do with HD formats, the topic sentence must be: "Despite Warner's decision to go Blu-ray exclusive". Yes we already know that they went exclusive, but that does not mean that everything is based on that.

That's true. Especially if you are making lots of money by being able to sell both formats.

316.1.2008 20:11
hughjars
Inactive

Of course the BBC is going to stick with HD DVD - they sold the most discs (Planet Earth) on HD DVD.

Warner don't do anything for 5mths.

Plenty of time for the landscape to change in the meantime

(Amazon USA have the HD A3, HD A30 & HD A35 HD DVD players at numbers 1, 2 & 3 in their best sellers listing right now).

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Jan 2008 @ 8:12

416.1.2008 20:49

It says "despite warner's decision" because warner is the parent company of BBC. Please keep your uninformed comments to yourself or read the article before commenting.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Jan 2008 @ 8:50

516.1.2008 21:18
hughjars
Inactive

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
It says "despite warner's decision" because warner is the parent company of BBC.
- Well to be clear & strictly speaking that should be Warner are the parent company of 'BBC Video' and not the BBC as such.

(unless there's been an incredibly secret privatisation they didn't tell us about!) :D

616.1.2008 21:22

It's all so absolutely hilarious, of course. I won't touch - let alone invest - in either of the formats unless-and-until one of them beats the other into a senseless puddle of post-war goo.

I get a kick out of all the posturing, ad-speak, "de-facto" declarations, predictions, debate, accusations, counter-accusations, press-releases, finger-pointing, sales-figures, innuendo, half-baked assumptions, late-breaking announcements, discussion panels, defections and outright lies. There was NEVER a good, day-time soap-opera like this one !!!

Not even Beta vs VHS was this obtuse. (whatever obtuse means)

One's gonna make it, and one's gonna fry. It's that simple. And the unfortunate sods who DO get tossed-up with the bean sprouts in the Chinese wok, will not have a soul to blame except for themselves and their blind, helpless greed.

They had their chance; they blew it. They had their chance to get their collective s--t together and create a unified all-in-one standard that everyone could live with, and that they themselves could share global profit in. They had a chance to create a truly stellar, superior system. They had a chance to 'bury-the-corporate-hatchet' (preferebably not in each other's heads) and share technology with each other. They had a chance to NOT create bitter enemies with each other and, instead, become supportive allies.

(God I love soap-boxing)...... :-)

....They had a chance to securely avoid the devastating, debilitating financial losses that ONE of them is surely going to suffer after all the nuclear dust settles. They had the chance to create consumer confidence in the exciting new reality that is now High Definition, and instead, alienated and confused them so badly that many don't even know which side of a disc is up anymore, and who the hell could blame them? The various technologies involved are so convoluted, so complex, (and STILL EVOLVING at this late-stage!), that they are fairly tripping over their own bloated weight.

So did they try to get along with each other? Oh, nooooooo.... They had to have it ALL or nothing.

Instead .......... what we have is all of this mindless, ongoing TRIPE. Frankly, I think they both deserve to lose.

Two monolithic gladiators roamed our prehistoric Earth at one time - T-Rex, and (whatever other oversized lizard you can think of). Each had HUGE muscle (financial a$$ets), and both had brains the size of peas. (Sound familiar?) If one of these battling dinosaurs doesn't kill the other other off, then Volcanic eruptions and earthquakes (the consumer market) will.

"WAY-TA-GO, GUYS !!!!!"

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming.... :-)

716.1.2008 21:47
red2tango
Inactive

Originally posted by hughjars:
Of course the BBC is going to stick with HD DVD - they sold the most discs (Planet Earth) on HD DVD.

(Amazon USA have the HD A3, HD A30 & HD A35 HD DVD players at numbers 1, 2 & 3 in their best sellers listing right now).
It's also funny how you've been saying that for the past couple of months and you can't admit defeat. Get the facts straight Hughjars
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Jan 2008 @ 6:44

816.1.2008 22:55

Quote:
Originally posted by DVDBack23:
It says "despite warner's decision" because warner is the parent company of BBC.
- Well to be clear & strictly speaking that should be Warner are the parent company of 'BBC Video' and not the BBC as such.

(unless there's been an incredibly secret privatisation they didn't tell us about!) :D
BBC video is correct hughjars, you caught my typo :)

917.1.2008 03:30

Yawn.....! Wake me when someone wins so i know who to give my $ to!...
dumb asses! just figure it out you want your kids not to fight yet 2 grownup company's cant decide on a standard format!

1017.1.2008 14:26
hughjars
Inactive

It's also funny how you've been saying that for the past couple of months and you can't admit defeat.
- What "defeat"?

Warner don't do anything for several months and this all remains very far from over.

For as long as high def optical discs remain so far behind SD DVD this is a long way from settled.

The Blu-ray fanclub all sneered at HD DVD's 40% share of the HDM market.....yet Blu-ray alone holds less than 3% of the total movie disc market.

The Blu-ray fanclub should wake up from their own propaganda & stop being so hypocritical
(and seeing as how you guys reckon you already won stop trying to hide behind HD DVD).

Get the facts straight Hughjars
- Er, the "facts" I have given here are always "straight".

As far as Warner goes I was telling the facts straight, they were indeed set to go HD DVD, right up until the very last moment
(which no-one could have actually known - and if they claim otherwise they are either lying, deluded or the pro Blu-ray Warner CEO).
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Jan 2008 @ 2:30

1117.1.2008 15:00

Quote:
BBC also cited the remarkable sales of its "Planet Earth" box set, which sold well in both formats (but better in HD DVD than Blu-ray). The spokesman also explained they had high hopes for upcoming dual format HD titles already planned for 2008.
The reason the HD version of Planet Earth seen a huge boost because of Oprah show.She announced that Planet Earth was one of here top 10 gifts to get someone for Christmas.We all know that Oprah have a very Massive fan club so they follow what she said & didn't act on there own like always when it comes to Oprah fan club.

BBC is a very small piece of the HD market so it would be in there best interest til everyone goes Blu by end of year great decision on there part.

We are about to see the effect from Warner over the next 6 months there are watering down there HD-DVD catalog picking & choosing what they want to release & pushing all HD-DVD titles that are announced back three weeks to a month & alot of title canceled.

We all know why HD-DVD is selling good on Amazon,this is nothing more than clearing out all stock.With Amazon not stocking HD-DVD player no where near to the amount from last year i would kill to see what there supply going to look like by next holidays(next to nothing).

Er, the "facts" I have given here are always "straight".

As far as Warner goes I was telling the facts straight, they were indeed set to go HD DVD, right up until the very last moment
If this is facts & you want us to believe you,Show us some kind of proof if this is a fact.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Jan 2008 @ 3:08

1217.1.2008 17:03
MrMexican
Inactive

Either way hughjars tries to spinn the lies

this is how it is so far

Blue Ray has over %70 studio support.

Hd dvd has over %30 studio support.

Yes it can go either way but blue ray has more of a chance to end this format war.

1317.1.2008 21:30
red2tango
Inactive

wonder why toshiba has their players on sale?to get rid of them and make back some of the money their gonna lose from losing the format war.i mean come on the ppl that bought their hd-dvd players FOR THAT SPECIAL PRICE OF $99 got ripped off.i went it to bestbuy and they had a small bag with hd-dvd movies but all the racks had blu-ray movies on them.hell i even bought superbad on bluray.cant wait for my 5 free movies to come also.btw why are u comparing bluray to dvd all of a sudden hughjars?at first you compared BR to HDDVD saying that hd-dvd was the obvious winner but now that bluray is winning u are saying that it cant beat dvd?you're a sore loser.all i get from you is excuses.ofcourse bluray will succeed over dvd because movie studios will just end the dvd cycle after a clear hd winner is decided and a year passes same as vhs and dvd.and nextgen is right btw.

1418.1.2008 21:18
hughjars
Inactive

wonder why toshiba has their players on sale?
- Er, to sell them in larger numbers of course.

Which is exactly what is happening.
They are selling very nicely indeed.

The Toshiba HD A3, HD A30 & HD A35 are currently number 1, 2 & 5 in the Amazon USA best selling chart for all DVD players.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/ele...ref=pd_ts_e_nav

In fact the HD A3 is the 6th best selling electrical item in the entire Amazon USA inventory.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/ele...6587233-0382450

to get rid of them and make back some of the money their gonna lose from losing the format war.
- Oh right, fortune telling, eh?
have you got next week lotto numbers there while you're at it?

i mean come on the ppl that bought their hd-dvd players FOR THAT SPECIAL PRICE OF $99 got ripped off.
- Oh really?

People got an excellent upscaling SD DVD that also plays HD DVD & (depending on the deal) 5, 7 or 10 movies and you reckon that's bad value?!

FFS, by all means prefer a side in this but try and keep the absurdly ridiculous nonsense to a minimum, eh?

i went it to bestbuy and they had a small bag with hd-dvd movies but all the racks had blu-ray movies on them.
- Like anyone really buys too many movies off-line these days.

hell i even bought superbad on bluray.
- Hmmm, I'm not sure I'd ave admitted that in public. :P

cant wait for my 5 free movies to come also.
- Funnily enough my last 5 freebie HD DVDs came this week.

btw why are u comparing bluray to dvd all of a sudden hughjars?
- I'd have thought that was obvious; if you guys are so convinced Blu-ray has already won then why are you hiding behind the HD DVD comparison still?

Surely you ought to be trumpeting your preferred format's success against what was always the real target, SD DVD.

Of course there'll be no such comparison made cos Blu-ray sales are minute (and have stayed minute) against SD DVD.

at first you compared BR to HDDVD saying that hd-dvd was the obvious winner but now that bluray is winning u are saying that it cant beat dvd?
- Actually I do not agree Blu-ray are wining anything.
The market is way too tiny to be drawing such premature conclusions.

The BDA recently announced that movie disc sales totals in the (almost) 2 years these formats have been around amount to 6 million discs for Blu-ray and almost 3 million for HD DVD
(when the total movie disc market was 750 million + last year alone).

This is all 'drop in the ocean' stuff and even though Blu-ray's drop in the ocean is a little larger than HD DVD's they have quite clearly won nothing.

you're a sore loser.
- No, I can just see beyond the shallow & superficial a little better than most of the Blu-ray fanclub.

all i get from you is excuses.
- No. What you get are awkward facts that conflict with the usual Blu-ray BS & you do not enjoy seeing them.

ofcourse bluray will succeed over dvd
- Oh right, back to the cyrstal ball gazing again, eh?

because movie studios will just end the dvd cycle after a clear hd winner is decided
- Dream away.

The simple truth is that if the public are buying SD DVD in the several hundreds of millions (as they currently are) no studio is going to risk or drop that (huge) revenue stream.

Especially not for a high def format which has supposedly 'won a war' because (when it's broken down) it sold a couple of thousand more copies of some of their title(s) compared to the competing high def format

and a year passes
- You've completely lost the plot if you seriously imagine there is the slighest chance of Blu-ray over-taking SD DVD in a year or even 2 years or 3 for that matter.

Ib fact it's only recently (3 monthsback?) that both highdef formats combined passed the then current VHS sales numbers
(seeing as you want to raise & consider VHS in this)

same as vhs and dvd.
- It's nothing like the same.

DVD offered a obvious convenience and a clear & obvious difference to VHS
(a difference the public either say they do not see between SD DVD & high def or say they do not see as worth the premium Blu-ray want for it.
HD DVD could get cheap enough fast enough & with the Twin disc it could slide in almost unnoticed as the DVD's successor, Blu-ray simply cannot get cheap enough fast enough & has nothing similar to the Twin disc to keep the SD DVD owner happy).

and nextgen is right btw.
- Wow, that's really great.
I bet that must be so heartening for him/her to know you think so.

1515.2.2008 18:41

Quote:
A company spokesperson for BBC has announced however that the company will remain dual format for the time being and that they need to "evaluate the marketplace before committing to one format."

I like this these are very good reasons for staying with both formats for the time being. Although blu-ray has got the market share we do not have a definite winner yet and well as long as the BBC can afford bringing out both formats this is the way to go.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive