1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning KVCD onto CD-R with Nero

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by 007Barto, Jan 18, 2008.

1. 007Barto

007Barto Member

I've recently converted some KVCD movies onto CD-R that a friend put on my PC for me. I have followed all the guides and know I have done it 100% right. The problem I have though is although I can see all the data on the disc (framing ahead to check if it's all there) the disc always seems to stop between the 70th and 80th min?

I have tried 3 of these now and they all have done the same. When I frame forward I notice that the time displayed in the top right corner of my TV screen will say for example 76min which is around where I have trouble. This being said I can frame past this point to see data on there but when I let it play it only plays for about 2-3 sec then stops?

I am a deer with no eyes.
    Plz Help.............it's frustrating the sh*t out me.

2. 007Barto

007Barto Member

C'mon.........HELP!!!

lol

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

What disc capacity are you burning onto? What size is your compilation?(MB)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  4. 007Barto

007Barto Member

Thx for replying cyprusrom.

700MB

5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

That would be the CD capacity, right? What size is your compilation?

6. 007Barto

007Barto Member

You'll have to excuse my ignorance here m8, I'm only new to all this. If you mean the size of the file I'm trying to put on there then I'm not sure? How do I find that out? I would assume it's larger than 700 that's why you mark overburn and change your setting in nero to 84min?

As I said, "I'm a deer with no eyes" on this one. lol

7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

It's all good mister "deer"!
    Well, you can just right click on the file you want to burn and then click on "Properties", it will tell you the size , MB, of the file.

The problem with overburning is that it uses the "disc’s Lead-Out Area (reserved to indicate to a reading device that the end of the data has been reached)";you write on areas of the CD which were not meant for writing on . All you do is waste the end of the data, the data that is written on the very outer edge. Your player does not read it, that's why it freezes at the end of the "normal writing" portion of the disc.

Here some read for you:

http://www.feurio.com/English/faq/faq_vocable_overburn.shtml

Try to edit, shrink the compilation.

8. 007Barto

007Barto Member

Cheers Cyprus,

I'll try all that and let you know how I go. Thx a heap buddy.

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

No problem. Let us know how it goes.
    You could go out and buy a 90 minute/790 MB or 99 minute/870 MB CD-R. But they also do not conform with the "Orange Book " specifications,the standards for CD, so not all recorders will be able to write on them, or be accessible to all software or readable in all players and drives. Best you can do, shrink the compilation. Cut off the credits...

Your compilation should be slightly less than the disc capacity.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  10. 007Barto

007Barto Member

Just one more thing cyprus,

What program should I use to shrink..............and more to the point,how do I do it?

I have nero, dvdclone2, Magic ISO. Will these be fine?

Barto

11. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I persocally never worked with VCDs. Depending on the program that you use for editing, some people report audio/video out of sync problems due to the editing(for example using TMPGEnc).
    Mpeg2VCR is a good editor and has a trial version. Or try and open the files in Nero Vision and see how it does.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/mpeg2vcr.cfm

12. 007Barto

007Barto Member

Just want to open this thread up again. Att Cyprus.

Tried everything we talked about m8 and I can't get anything to work. I also can't seem to find anywhere around near where I am that can get 90-99min CD-R.

If anyone else out there burns KVCD to CD-R without any dramas let me know.

Barto

13. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

So what is it that it doesn't work? Did you make the compilation smaller and try to burn it to a regular CD and is not working?

14. 007Barto

007Barto Member

None of the programs I've got including Nero Vision will let me make the compilation smaller.

It's not a huge drama if I can't do it as there is only about 7-8 movies I've got to do.

It's just that I've read a fair few post previously about how others have done these KVCD's without any drama.
    Once I read your post about over burning it really just confirmed what I was already thinking.

The only thing that bugs me now is how others are putting over 7 & 800MB of compilation to an 80min CD-R (700MB) & not having a problem?

Anyways, thanks for your help m8.

15. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Yes, others are overburning successfully;there are a few factors involved though: some media supports overburning better than others. Some burners are better at overburning than others, and some do not support overburn at all.

I am only assuming that you are doing the VCDs because you don't have a DVD burner...Well, nowadays they are really cheap, for around $30 you can buy a good one.
    As for the VCD- whatever program you are using to make them, can't you edit and make the compilation a little smaller?

Have a look at AviDemux, very good for editing.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  16. 007Barto

007Barto Member

I do have a DVD burner and most of the movies I have in this KVCD format will probably get burnt onto DVD later on by other means. However because they are on my PC in KVCD format I thought I would just do them this way "just because I can".

In response to your question about making the compilation smaller, for some reason Nero Vision won't open the movie, (it opens the file but then there's nothing there).

I'll try AviDemux. As I said, I'm only doing these because they are there,lol.

17. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Gottcha! more of a hobby project:~)!
    I never tried VCDs with Avidemux, I just use it to edit mpegs/Avis and then make DVDs. It does however have a bitrate calculator and lets you slelect an custom output size. has many function that I am not familiar with yet, I am just learning it myself.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008