1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 6 bug, help to verify!

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by cd-rw.org, Dec 15, 2003.

1. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

I ask Nero 6 users to help me verify this bug.

I am experiencing problems with Nero 6+NEC 1300 DVD-R, when burning CDs. The result is that the drive jams at some point of the burn, often near the end. This has happened at least on Video CDs and Audio CDs (both are Mode-2, perhaps it means something?).

I use Windows XP on a P4-2.66HT, Abit mobo. Very standard stuff. Nero 5.5 and other burning apps work very well, but all Nero 6 versions fail. What makes this issue strange is the fact that I know NEC 1300 owners that succesfully use Nero 6.

Has anyone experieced the same or something similar?

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Cant say ive had a problem like this (recently at least); do you mean the drive physically jams up or do the read/write lights just flicker back and forth? Does the eject button still work this happens? Can you cancel? Sorry more questions than answers :p

3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

The drive jams, LED stays on. I need to reboot in order to get the drive operational.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Alright, I know a buddy or two and have him check to see if he's got a similar problem :)

5. Doctorbug

Doctorbug Guest

Yes same here making a vcd..........couldnt figure it out and now my power dvd player knows nothing of my sony 510

6. lohsing

lohsing Guest

Yes - same problem burning DVD image files on my DRU500AX. Near the end, it freezes and the only way to open the tray is to reboot.

Any ideas? Using a Gigabyte GA8KNXP mobo with P4 3.0HT.

Cheers,

Lo.

7. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Sounds to me Nero doesn't fully support the drives here. I recommend CloneDVD for dvd backups and for VCD (dvd rip) then use DVD2SVCD using TMPEng encoder or Canopus ProCoder, create bin& cue.

Shoey :)

8. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

For simple yet decent VCD creation, InterVideo WinDVDCopy is worth checking out. The bitrate shoots sky high with VBR-SVCD, but the VCD mode seems pretty good.

9. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Not this particular issue, but, I have discovered one compatibility issue with Norton AntiVirus AutoProtect. I can't determine if it's just on this particular model's setup (Compaq Presario S4040SE) but, out of the box, the conflict starts. However, I blame Nero since it's a compatibility that has existed starting at 6.0.0.19 and extends through 6.3.0.0. Haven't tried the latest update yet. I've tried both NAV 2003 and 2004, and, only when 0.19 or later is installed does it occur.

When writing to an image file on a hard disc, it will invariably at some point simply stop. The timer will continue on but the actual writing stops. The write speed remains constant, no disk activity occurs, and the burn to image never finishes.

10. maxg

maxg Member

Db,

Interesting. I experienced no end of problems with Nero 6 and am also running Norton AV software.

In the end I gave up and deleted it prior to the end of the evaluation period.

Right now I am running Creative's suite of programs that came with the Audigy 2 for audio, ULead DVD Movie Factory 2 for DVD production and a neat little shareware program called droptoCD to back up data to DVD +R/+RW disks.

The above all seem to work fine.

11. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

I simply reverted to 6.0.0.15. I've not had any major problems outside of the before mentioned before. Back when burning your own DVD's wasn't so new, Nero 5.X was one of the few apps that burned a compliant disc. That alone was enough to convince me to drop Easy CD :) in addition to the plethora of future bugs, especially the all but non-working 6.X.

12. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Nero Burning Rom 6.3.0.2

ftp://ftp.nero.com/Nero6302.exe

Some free reliable dvd burnin' software.
    burnatonce:http://www.burnatonce.com/downloads/
    DeepBurner:http://www.deepburner.com/index.php

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2003
  13. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Still have yet to test it, but, Nero's track record since 6.0.0.19 hasn't been good. :) All updates from 0.19 through 6.3.0.0 have had the problem.

14. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Please don't turn this into a general rant thread -- any more comments on the original topic? Anyone else experiencing the same bug?

15. Shoey

Shoey Guest

No cd-rw.org. I don't really have a need to use Nero that much these days.

16. bumpert

bumpert Member

i got the same problem. Sometimes nero just freeze when he try to write a dvd or cd. Almost at the end of the burning. I'm using the last version of nero 6.3.0.2 and i try to burn some cd/dvd and desactivating norton antivirus...
    ill give you feedbvack, if you find something give a post :)

thx

17. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

If it's always stopping at the end of a burn to disc, it's a problem that's occurring when the drive is trying to close the final session on the disc, I'd guess. Could be related to either the type of disc or the drive? I know the Panasonic LF-D311S didn't like to always close final sessions on a disc in DVD Decrypter, just selecting Ignore at 99% and it would finish.

What drive are you using and what disc in general? What you tried different drives and/or disc types?

The error I pointed out isn't related, though, I don't think, because it's only writing to disc images on hard drive, and it's always at different files. It can happen anywhere as early as has been 4% in the past or as late as 90% when I tested 6.3.0.2 last week.

18. bumpert

bumpert Member

i always use verbatim cdr or dvd-r, and it's always happening when nero trying to empty the user buffer

19. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Could be the Verbatim. Their original release DVD-R's were about as bad as CMC Magnetics corporation. I've been having problems lately I thought was related to the Sony DRU-500a, but, it turns out the Verbatim source DVD+RW was the problem. If you've got some rewritables and a drive that supports rewritables, see if it occurs on them. If not, try a different type of DVD-R. Otherwise, I could only think it's a problem in Nero, as I've pointed out there's some kind of writing file problem to HD image. It thinks it hasn't written the file yet, so, that could be a problem with your set up.

If you're using Norton AntiVirus, try to Disable AutoProtect for a few minutes while you make another burn. On my problem, if AP was disabled, there was no problem. But, there was also no problem in Nero 6.0.0.19. :) So, since I saw nothing newer in 6.3.0.2 that was needed, I've just stuck with version 6.0.0.15.

20. bumpert

bumpert Member

sorry 6.0.0.15