1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nerohistory.log not updating; Nero 7 Ultra

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by spearthro, Jan 22, 2008.

1. spearthro

spearthro Member

I was asked to include a copy of my "Nero log" on thread "INCD 5 CDRW write error - Win XP Pro NERO 7 ULTRA ", but I cannot, as my Nerohistory.log in the "core" folder is not being updated. I didn't know whether or not to start a NEW thread or not, but this problem is not really related (I don't THINK), to the INCD failure to burn CDRW's.
    I asked a friend of mine to check her history log, and it isn't being updated either...seems since sometime in May 2007. I have totally uninstalled Nero 7.5.1.1, and ran all the Nero clean tools, and reverted BACK to version 7.2.7.0, and the history log works ok. (Unfortunately, the CDRW write problem on INCD did not work). When I apply the update to the version 7.5.1.1, it no longer works. On a third computer, the history log IS being updated on version 7.5.1.1, so go figure. We are beginning to wonder if some "windows update" or an install of some other program is preventing the file "nerohistory.log" from being updated. We cannot find any setting to enable or disable the log from being written. Any help to get the log problem solved would be appreciated.

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

My version of Nero 7, on WinXP SP2,does not automatically save a burn log. After every burn or transcoding it asks me if I want to save/print the log or not. I wonder if automatic log saving is an option that needs to be enabled during installation?...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  3. spearthro

spearthro Member

Hi cyprusrom...and thanks for the response. I think the log you are referring to is the "compilation log"...a log of the compilation you are currently burning. The log I am referring to is the Nero burn log, which is supposed to be updated everytime you burn anything. It is at C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Core....NeroHistory.log
    Could you please check yours? The last burn record will be at the end of the document...see if the date of it indicates whether or not YOUR Nero burn log is being updated, and I would appreciate you or anyone else to check their NeroHistory.log file, check the date of their last burn, and post what they find back here. Thanks all!!!

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

:~( Sorry mate, I guess it does update the history burn log...and I discovered that every single time I get an error, but the burn is always successful and no problems whatsoever...interesting...

5. 56delray

56delray Regular member

6. spearthro

spearthro Member

I have updated my Nero to version 7.10.1.2, direct from Nero's site. I have burned several discs with it, and I do not have the "nerohistory.log" file in the "core" folder.
    I am not going to pursue this any further, as I don't seem to be getting any responses from other Nero 7 users.

My INCD failure problem has been solved; it was NOT INCD at all, but a bad install of POWER DVD 7.3 that was causing the failure of INCD.

INCD now works as it has for the past 2 or 3 years...very well!
    Thanks to those who replied!

7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

@spearthro

I finally update to the latest Nero 7 version myself(I don't know why I did it, probably bored!). The burn history logs are not in the "Core" folder anymore. I found them in:

C:\Documents and Settings\Cyprus\Application Data\Ahead So in your case would probably be
    C:\Documents and Settings\Speartho\Application Data\Ahead.In the Ahead folder, thre are 3 other folders:

Nero Burning Rom, Nero Vision and Nero Recode. Depending which one you use for burning, they also incude a burn log(eg. RecodeHistory.log, NeroVisionLog.txt). In my case, I don't know why, the Application Data folder was hidden, so you might have to enable "Show Hidden Files and Folders" in windows explorer.
    Hope you report with success.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  8. 56delray

56delray Regular member

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

10. 56delray

56delray Regular member

Thanks for the info.

11. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

No problem. I had to mess around a bit till I found them. First i tried to find the burn log right after I installed,before I even did a burn(duh, idiot me!!); then the darn folder was hidden. Got it in the end.

12. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Up until version 7.9.6.0 the history log has been located here, Program Files>Nero>Nero 7>Core>NeroHistory....of this I am certain as I have ONLY just updated to 7.10.1.2 which apparently saves log to another location as indicated by cyprusrom...buggered if I can find it though!!

13. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

@Gwendolin,
    Open Windows Explorer, go to Tools->Folder Options->View, and Check "Show Hidden Files and Folders". They will be in the location I have mentioned. Of course, fter you have performed the first burn( I did the newbie mistake to look for a log before even performing one single burn:~)! )

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  14. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

I merrily went on my way assuming they were where they "USED" to be...core etc...another reason to say Nero sux!!

Maybe that should read Nero "Developers" sux to be more fair.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  15. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I don't know...I hope I will not regret updating from my stable version 7.0.8.2. I spent yesterday 3 hrs installing/uninstalling/reinstalling. First, for whatever reason, in Nero Express, I did not have the option to choose between DVD5 or DVD9.Was totally missing!! When trying to burn more than 4.xxGB, not enough space warning!!
    Run the clean tool, CCleaner(the darn Nero Clean 7 Tool left junk behind). Installed again. This time I did not have sound in Nero ShowTime, and nero Vision would not encode passed the menus. Third time seems to work(whatever I have tested so far).

16. spearthro

spearthro Member

cyprusrom

Thanks for the info on the "nerohistory.log" file....I found mine, and it IS being updated. So far, this "last" version of Nero 7 is working fine; ( I hope I never NEED the nerohistory.log file again)but who knows. Thanks again for your attention.

As for INCD;
    Other than this last problem, (which, as it turned out, was not a faulty INCD at all, but was caused by a corrupt install of Power DVD 7.3}, INCD has worked very well. I first began using Nero when WIN XP first came out, and I found the Windows burning capability to be a bad joke. The earlier versions of INCD had numerous problems with various drive and media recognition, etc, but worked well for me in Nero 6, and up until now, Nero 7.

I still find INCD to be a very handy tool, and mine has worked very well for a long time on all the media I use (Sony, Maxell, Memorex, Fuji, TDK.) I keep my discs in good condition, and renew them occasionally.
    I do use an external hard drive for drag and drop and "back-up" storage, as well as Verbatim and Sandisk "memory sticks" to transport data between computers.I have had computers running XP refuse to recognize the Verbatim, and reading other forums on memory stick use, reveals a number of problems in THAT area. It's likely best to use a variety of back up or transport methods until the manufacturers of all this cheaper and cheaper made stuff finally gets some MUCH BETTER stnadards, and quality controls.

Thanks again.

17. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

A question for my own good,
    How did you figure out the problem with INCD was the corrupt Power DVD? Just by uninstalling that?

18. spearthro

spearthro Member

cyprusrom:
    Yes, basically it came down to deleting programs I had most recently installed. (Hard to remember any definitive ORDER though)
    As is usually the case, THIS episode was confounded by the fact that I was working on a machine that I recently reformatted, added 2 new DVD drives to, moved 2 hard drives from my older computer to this one, and on and on.
    I also knew full well that INCD had worked quite flawlessly on my other computer, as well as my partner's and the kid's puter also.

When I uninstalled each program, I tried INCD.
    When I uninstalled Power DVD, INCD worked properly.

I have since re-installed Power DVD 7.3, and INCD works with it installed.

I do not know what screwed up the original install of Power DVD.