AfterDawn Forums

How doI tell what Firmware my drive has?

This discussion thread has 8 messages.

Thanks for any help guys. I can't find anything that says "firmware" when I click on My Computer/Device manager/CD/DVD Drives/ then I click on the drive.

Is this where it is supposed to be, or no?

Thanks.
▼▼ This topic has 7 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
From the Device Manager, right click on the drive and select 'Properties' then the 'Details' tab, it lists the drive ID and should show the firmware version.

Also if you have 'IMGBurn' installed, click 'Tools' > 'Drive' > 'Check firmware', it shows the version.
Nero Tools also can tell you.
Ok, thanks. So I have updated to the newest firmware. Now here's my problem, see if you can help. I have been backing up all my dvd's to different brands of DVD+R media for quite a while. Then every once and a while I will make a copy from that back up and it will work fine. But now, it seems that my drive will not recognize my backed up copy when I put it in. I've had this problem when I tried to us DVD-R media too.

Any idea why all the sudden it would stop working?

Thanks.
It's all about the brand. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are suggested, what are you using that your drive is spitting out?

Originally posted by LOCOENG:
It's all about the brand. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are suggested, what are you using that your drive is spitting out?
Both HP and sometimes Phillips.

But the thing is, they have worked perfectly in the past.. UGH :(
the problem is the inexpensive media your using is breaking down quickly causing read error in which case you can't copy again.

using Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim burning between 4x and 8x max will solve your problem

Antec 1200 Full-Tower Case/Thermaltake 750-Watt PS/ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Mobo/Western Digital Black WD5003AZEX 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD/NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card/CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 /Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics/CORSAIR Hydro Series H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler/3-Plextor PX-810SA Sata Drives/Asus IPS 27"PB278Q Monitor 2560 x 1440 resolution,5ms respone time/OS Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
Originally posted by ccb6453:
Originally posted by LOCOENG:
Both HP and sometimes Phillips.

But the thing is, they have worked perfectly in the past.. UGH :(

Burners wear out... time for a new one.

Looking for a new burner? Check here.
http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/
The reviews also help to determine which media gives the best results.
What's the brand name,model#,and firmware version of your dvd-rw drive?

Some burners are like stand alone players. They can be picky as to what media(MID code) they'll play,even their own backups.

The backups that don't get recognized,play them in some other stand alone players,game consoles,or pc drives. Make sure they are playable.

HP and Philips are a couple brand names I stay away from. They,like most other brand name media,outsource their media to different manufacturers.Here's an example of 3 different manufacturers for the Philips +8x-courtesy of dogbomb:

Philips DVD+R 8x (CMC MAG E01)
Philips DVD+R 8x (Philips 081)
Philips DVD+R 8x (RICOHJPN R02)

1 batch you got a hold of may have been ricohs,next batch cmags or philips. HP,maxell,sony,TDK,Memorex,and just about any other brand name does it.The dash format is outsourced,just like the plus format. This is whay Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are highly recommended.

Burn speed,paper sticker labels, burn engine,crappy burner,and how they were stored can factor in as well. All these variations can give a picky drive fits. Also all the little errors on your 1st backup disc can add up when you decide to rip them later and get into the dreaded CRC errors.

Best way to prevent this:

1)Booktype the plus format to dvd-rom in the 1st place-again,depending on what drive and what programs you have.

2) Quality media- 4x-8x burn speed

3) No paper sticker labels

4) Avoid multi-tasking

5) Keep HD/S defragged regularly.

HP a1118x-b/athlon 64-3300+/BenQ 1650 BCDC/LG 8163B/Modded Wii/Epson-R300 and Ty Watershields!!!
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.