1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux rip to MPEG2

Discussion in 'Digital video discussion for Linux users' started by Rost1981, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Rost1981

Rost1981 Member

Hi,

I have been digitizing my VHS family home movies. I have about 40 VHS tapes and most of them I have been able to digitize with my Hauppauge 150 PVR MCE Card using Mythtv. However, for some reason some of the tapes played poorly when played in a VCR hooked up to my computer. For these tapes, I had to use a DVD/VCR recorder to copy the VHS tapes to DVDs. I have done this, and now I want to rip the DVDs into MPEG-2 files onto my Debian Etch Linux Computer so that I can edit them. I want to rip them to mpeg-2 so that they do not lose any of the quality of the video. I have read on the Internet that you can make the .vob files into .mpg files just by changing the file extension to .mpg, but I have also heard that doing this will prevent you from editing them in video editors. What tool or program do I use to change the .vob files to MPEG-2 files in Linux and still be able to edit the video later?

Thanks

2. varnull

varnull Guest

Grab yourself a program called dvdrip

it's in the etch repositories.. but you will need debian multimedia repos in your sources too..

http://debian-multimedia.org/

greets from an etch user :lol:

3. Rost1981

Rost1981 Member

Ripping with this program works great! Thanks for the help.