1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something weird from "AfterDawn Labs" ... tell us what do you think

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by dRD, Feb 7, 2008.

1. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

As a result of something weird chatted over a cup of coffee here at our office, this is what we came up with:

http://stuff.afterdawn.com/watch_it_flow.cfm

...please, PLEASE do remember that this is not anywhere near finished / polished feature, it might have bugs, it might crash, it might not work at all times and yes, it lacks tons and tons of features and looks ugly. But it might be something some of you find amusing. So, have fun.

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Where would you interlayer this? Home page or through out the forums like the advertisements?...kinda like a flash message.

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

No idea, now its basically just a proof-of-concept of a thingy that shows in "live mode" what happens around the site. Sometimes it is nice to do stuff that you don't have a purpose for.

4. varnull

varnull Guest

I really like that :)

It would be nice to maybe make it fit the same size as the browse by topic block, and optional so people don't have to have it.

Nice bit of script anyway.. Impressed as always with new web concepts.

I have a really bad habit of blocking moving images on pages ;)

5. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Ahhh, very good idea guys, I'd go with varnull's suggestion and add it to the side of the page like the topics menu. So will this just be displaying the most updated posts or posts without replies? Will it continue to scroll as the user is reading news, forum posts, etc.?

6. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

Tweaked the JS quite a bit. Let me know how it works on your browser (browser version, OS). So far it seems to work alright with Firefox 2.0.0.11 (Win32), IE7 (Win32), Opera (OS X), and Firefox 2.0 (OS X). Safari (OS X and iPod Touch) don't show the CSS animation, but work otherwise OK.

Btw, the page utilizes a mildly modified version of Remy Sharp's jQuery Spy script.

http://leftlogic.com/lounge/articles/jquery_spy2/

Give it a shot if you're looking for a similar solution. =)

7. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Ahhhh, that's a lot better, looken good!

8. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

I'm liking this idea. It looks good to me.

Would it be turn on/turn off option?

I definately dig it.

9. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Excellent!

10. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

This is nice...

11. varnull

varnull Guest

Works fine in Kazehakase, Epiphany and Iceweasel.. all on linux ;)

12. seb32

seb32 Regular member

Looks pretty good guys, works fine with Firefox 2.0.0.12 (Windows XP Home).

13. tripplite

tripplite Guest

yes great A++++ this is why ad kicks ass because its a home made site, not some crappy v-bulletin template, i love that feature and i can see it being verry helpful, one question, where will you guys put it?

14. rav009

rav009 Active member

I do appreciate the attempt at innovation, however, I can't see this benefiting users. What do you think this will bring to us, in terms of accessibility or usability? Personally, I don't see any use it this.

The concept of a 'Live' site can potentially make a large-ish site, like this, seem daunting to new users; not to mention the fact that most of us are perfectly capable of using the refresh button. There's already been bells and whistles, like the additional Nav bar on the side, slapped in our faces: while that was maybe a good idea in the long run, this, I feel, will be seen as irritating by some and aesthetically takes away from the techie feel of the site.

Thank you.

15. wolvespat

wolvespat Member

wow, thats really cool!

16. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

17. tripplite

tripplite Guest

rav009 this tool is great!! i can see all the new threads that are open
    when they get opened and they allow for like an advertisement of your thread!some (very few) threads sometime dont get noticed, although there is probably someone who has an answer for that problem that "person" never nows the thread was posted or updated

thank you for such a great tool AD team!!

18. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Thats kind of a fun feature, it even tells you when people send PMs (although no more information than that one was sent, nothing personal luckily. :p)

With some time this could possibly become useful. :)

Peace

EDIT: It also tells you when new members sign up. Someone signed up shortly after I posted my reply, thats pretty cool.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  19. tripplite

tripplite Guest

i never noticed afterdawn had so much activity on it?
    dRD- is there a way to embed this(will there be a way)?? that would be so cooo00000000l

20. rav009

rav009 Active member

It's the lazy mans solution to using refresh and browsing the site properly, essentially. I dislike the idea of a 'Live' tool; why not simply have a page offering links to the last updated threads? Nonetheless, there's other improvements I'd like to be made rather than flashy internet throw-cushions being chucked about.

This is just my opinion, however. The aD staff, prolifically, have been brilliant in meeting users needs. If they feel this is what aD needs, that's fair enough. It won't stop me objecting. ;-)