1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is cd emulation & what can be emulated?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Madcapper, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Madcapper

Madcapper Member

Hi. I ran a search for posts on this subject and although I found many posts, they weren't within the context of info I'm looking for.

What I'm wondering is, what exactly is cd emulation? I have Blindwrite v4.5.7 but I can't figure out how to get emulation to work or if it's even supposed to work in the way I'm trying to use it.

I have a backup of the game Midnight Club 2 that I made with CDRWin, so it's definitely not a 1/1 Clone or anything. I'd heard about emulation so I tried to see if I could get my backup to work by installing Blindwrite. I still get the "Wrong Disc Inserted" message. Is there something I need to do within the Blindwrite GUI to enable it? Or is emulation not designed to work with a CDRWin non-1/1 backup?

My cd-rom doesn't work so I'm trying to run the game in a cd-rw drive. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Emulation typically refers to virtual/stealth drives (thats what you are talking about right? not the autorun emulation stuff?). If so, you need to make a perfect extraction in order to emulate the protection schemas.

For SafeDisc2 games the primary concern is whether or not you have a 2-sheep burner. If you do have one, its a simple task with Alcohol120 to make a good MDF/MDS pair that can be emu'd on the Alcohol drive or the DaemonDrive.

For SecureROM protection is a little trickier, you need to extract physcial data (the RMPS setting you might have seen). This is essentially a measurement of data density, etc. Without this, no emulation is possible. The best program for doing this is BlindWrite. Note that DaemonTools cannot open BlindWrite5 files so either go back to 4.57 or use Alcohol120 to make your files. If you use BW4.57 then you have to make BWA files manually (or download them from somewhere).

To actually emulate, grab DaemonTools, mount your image and then right-click, Emulation and select the appropriate entry/entires.