1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

500GB hard drive formating

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by ramosfet, Feb 20, 2008.

1. ramosfet

ramosfet Regular member

Hello. i have a xbox with xecuter modchip. i have a 500gb hard drive i've been using to store game but need to learn how to obtain and use xbox partitioner so i will be able to use all 500gb of space. I've seen various posts around the web, but haven't found where to actually get the software. please advise.

2. corn

corn Guest

Just format the drives using UnleashX, the password will be "xbox" no quotes.

3. ramosfet

ramosfet Regular member

well i've been using evox as a dashboard. is there any way to do this with evox?

If not, how and where do i get unleashx?

4. corn

corn Guest

5. katuuuz

katuuuz Member

hello

i just purchased a seagate 100gb hard drive for my first soft mod/hard drive upgrade. (yes i'm a virgin). i went with the 100 gb because i thought softmods/xbox couldn't handle anything over 120gb!? ((i couldn't find a 120gb so 100gb was 2nd best)). isn't there an extra procedure you would have to take if you installed a HD higher than 120gb? if so how would you do it?

6. corn

corn Guest

No. Just format the hard drive as you would any other one. Size doesn't matter anymore.

7. katuuuz

katuuuz Member

damn, i wish i found afterdawn before my purchase, i was looking at a sweet 750gb. well since i have your attention, i'm not sure where to post this so i appologize in advance. where can i get information like what psx/n64 games are compatible (smooth running) on the soft modded xbox. as far as i know ff7 for example works, you need specific bios though. and i remember my 64 emu on my pc wouldn't run certain games for example "ken griffey junior". is there somewhere that will tell me what i need for settings etc? thanks for the fast reply.

8. ramosfet

ramosfet Regular member

corn are you sure hard drive size doesn't matter? does it depend on which dash you are using?

9. corn

corn Guest

10. katuuuz

katuuuz Member

corn you are awesome dude. i just got my action replay in the mail today and moved those splinter cell files onto it. as soon as my hard drive comes, i'm gonna soft mod my box. what do you suggest doing first?.. replace the hard drive or soft mod it?

11. ramosfet

ramosfet Regular member

How do i extract xiso contents onto my computer? i usually extract regular iso contents with winrar or winiso, but how do i do this with xiso files without getting my xbox console involved?

12. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Very first thing you want to do is copy over the exploit and get your eeprom. You can leave your stock hd alone. You then copy your c: and e:(if you want your saved games) over to xboxhdm then go from there.

You need to select an ata drive that features locking. If the hard drive can not lock it can't be used in a softmod.

13. TBandit

TBandit Regular member

So I went into unleash x went to the format menu and clicked on format g drive. Nothing happened. I also went into the settings menu and enabled it from there and still nothing got formatted. Any suggestions?

14. corn

corn Guest

TBandit: Try rebooting.

If that doesn't work, then you may want to use an AID disk to format, I have never used one before, but I have heard of success via them. I can't really think of anything else that you could do, only formated like 3 hard drives and never had an issue.
    BTW, this is after I read the PM, do you have it working now? Or is there another problem at hand?

Katuuuz: You need to FTP the eeprom file, and E: has everything stored, if you don't want to re-download map packs and such then copy the whole E: drive.
    Follow this tutorial to upgrade your hard drive:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/533828

**When it tells you to make the E drive folder and the folders inside as well, you will want to copy that E: drive that you FTPed. Thats only if you want the saved map packs and such.**

You do not need to copy the C drive, only if there are settings saved that you wouldn't want to re-do.

Ramosfet:
    I have never used this program before, so I don't know how well it will work, but Google gave me this link:
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/extract-iso.php

I think I got everyone, if I missed something post and I will try to help you out.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2008
  15. TBandit

TBandit Regular member

Yeah I got into the menu but just saying the pass is case sensitive I am launching Unleash X from the apps folder as well did you have yours as the default dash on boot because I got avalaunch.

16. corn

corn Guest

I do belive the password is "xbox" no cases.

17. TBandit

TBandit Regular member

damn still no luck its maxing out at 137gb i think i need to change bios

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  18. TBandit

TBandit Regular member

Alright I somehow got MOST of the space onto the F drive. For some reason it still doesn't make a G drive, what ever. I'm just wondering where about 25 gigs went because when I formatted the F drive I got 469 gigs and about 5 on E drive.

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

that sounds about right. For example all my 500GB drives (in Windows) show a usable total of 465GB. You have to allow for filesystem overhead etc, here's an example link - http://compreviews.about.com/od/storage/a/ActualHDSizes.htm

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  20. corn

corn Guest

Before you go playing with the bios, do you have your EEPROM backed up in case something goes wrong?