1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP IM NEW to HDTV thing...

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by colin605, Feb 26, 2008.

1. colin605

colin605 Member

right now i have a 60" rear projection TV, free but tired of needing a total dark room and need to sit in the "right" spot to see the best picture........im really on a budget but would like to upgrade to a HDTV, but i dont know what i should get or stay away from, what is a good size, i know nothing about this kinda stuff.....also should i get a blu-ray player too?

thanks for all the help!! you guys rock!!!

2. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

42 inches is the most popular size. Depending on what your viewing habits are and if you play games or not would help pick what technology would be best suited for you. You could pick a decent westinghouse for well under $1000. I have an hd dvd and blu ray stand alone player, that said I would wait. I wanted hd dvd to win just because I thought they were a superior product. Wait for the prices to fall before taking the plunge on bd.

3. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

What will you be using the tv for? Watching movies, sports, or playing video games?

There are plenty of pros and cons to each different technology, so I'd take a look at what you would be using the tv for the most and also, what the viewing conditions are like in your house/apt.

Avoid those cheaper tv's at all cost. They will not provide top notch picture quality and you probably will not be satisfied in the long run. A tv is a big investment, don't throw your money away at a crap product.

Blnk, why should the guy wait to buy any HD gear? Now has to be the best time to buy anything HD DVD with prices being so low. There's no guarantee that the studios will re release all those HD DVD exclusives - one would think.

I would wait for the new Panasonic DMP-BD50 to come out. It's suppose to have support for DivX and HD DivX, according to eatsushi.

DMP-BD50
    Firmware – Street Date TBA
    Video Decoder – Panasonic Uniphier
    24fps - Yes
    Audio Decoding
    Dolby Digital - Onboard
    DTS - Onboard
    Dolby Digital Plus - Onboard/Bitstream
    DTS – HR - Onboard/Bitstream
    PCM - Onboard
    Dolby True HD – Onboard/Bitstream
    DTS HD Master Audio – Onboard/Bitstream