1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats after chip install? need clarification.

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by lcacivic, Dec 30, 2003.

1. lcacivic

lcacivic Member

I've been scowering forums all night and this morning. I have the chameleon chip installed. When i boot up, I get the cromwell screen. I have 2 options: "/dev/hdb" and "bios".

When i select "/dev/hdb" it says "insert cd in drive and press A". I have the slayer 2.5 autoinstaller, and i put that in. THen it says "cant find linuxboot.cfg".

When I select "bios", it says "starting bochs-bios", but then nothing happens.

When i boot up with the slayer 2.5 disc in the drive, it still goes straight to the cromwell screen with the same options and nothing happens.

My question is, what EXACTLY am I supposed to do? If I boot with the cd in, and nothing happens, does that mean the cd-rw i am using isn't good enough?

Thanks for the help.

2. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

Im assuming that slayers was burned on a dvd, insert slayers and restart the box, if the cromwell bios still comes up, then a little trick my friend did was just find a bios but it to a dvdr with at least a 200mb dummy file flash the box with that first then once it is flashed, insert slayers again and the slayers menu should pop up.

3. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

That or rip out the mod and program it with the matrix programmer then install the mod chip again and you will be good to go. It stinks to have to do that but it works for sure.

4. MikeDDR

MikeDDR Regular member

So cleary you have to do

1. Download a bios (latest Xecuter work great with latest chips)
    2. rename the bios file to LINUXBIO.BIN
    3. Burn this to a DVD-/+RW
    4. Insert this CD when cromwell asks for it

after it has flashed (the xbox will turn off), you'll be able to boot your slayer

5. lcacivic

lcacivic Member

Yeah thanks. The boyz at #slayers on mIRC really helped me out. For those with the same problem, go to http://www.evilzmods.com/chambiosdisk.htm

This site tells you exactly how to flash your chameleon bios. After that, download slayers auto installer to install the evox dashboard.

To download the installer, go to this thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/43930
    follow darthnip's instructions.

once you download it, READ THE DOCS!! The guyz on there get really pissed if you don't read them first (trust me, i know :) )

You'll also need to backup your c: drive before installing slayers. I had the best luck with flashfxp. Just do a google search for it. Details on this are in slayers docs.

You'll also need a prog to make xbox iso's. I suggest xISO. You can just do a google search for that too.

I hope this helps some future poor n00b get started in the right direction.

LCACivic

6. Pogo

Pogo Member

Thanks for the help on the bios.... I finally got them installed but now the system reboots twice and then the light just flashes red and I had a black screen :/ Nothing but problems *sigh*

7. lcacivic

lcacivic Member

make sure you have the chip seated on the adapter properly. if done correctly, the chip light should be facing the left side of the xbox (assuming the front of the xbox it toward you). I had this problem during my install b/c it wasnt seated properly.

also make sure you used the little gold fillers that go in the LPC holes to ensure a good connection to the adapter.

8. Pogo

Pogo Member

That's not it, I cleaned all my conections 3 times over now and have been jiggling the chip about. It will ethier boot uo normally with the green xbox blob, or restart twice then the eject button flashes red and green and I have a black screen... I'm about to throw the whole thing through the window

9. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

I had that problem once with a mod I did and found out I had to re-flash the bios then re-installed the mod and it worked. I have heard people say that the box still flashed red/green after the mod was pulled but that as not my case. When I pulled the mod it was back to normal. The second flash I used XP.exe not winLPC. I dont use winLPC any more just XP.exe then there was no problem, I also cleaned the points.

10. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Also, the xbox blob boot is normal, put in your boot disk and see if it will run the evox from the boot, if not try another type of media with the boot disk like DVD-/+RW, if the mod is working the disk will boot, if mod is not working and or the media can not be read by your xbox DVD drive then it will say not a valid disk or not boot at all.