1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M3 DS Real GBA games not saving

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by Butchar, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Butchar

Butchar Member

Just as a the title says, my gba games won't save. A save file is made in the GBA folder as usual, but it never loads when I start the game. Also, when I try using the real time save function and loading the game, the DS freezes with a blank white screen. I have a theory that it could be because I trimmed the games using tokyotrim, but it doesn't seem likely.

Anyway, if anyone has any insight on this it would be appreciated.

2. Butchar

Butchar Member

Oh, forgot to mention. My GBA expansion pack that came with the M3 DS Real only just started working when I used a homebrew application called FAS1Flasher, or something like that. It brought up an "unsupported flashcard" error, but when I tried it out it played my GBA games fine. Only problem is if ANYTHING attempts to save, it won't work. I've tried using an untrimmed version of the rom, playing with the execution settings, placing in a SAVES folder, using real time save (which in turn freezes my DS when I try to load), and I'm thinking about formatting my card to FAT16 to see if that's the problem. I've looked for homebrew flashers tailored to flash the GBA expansion pack for the M3 but none seem to exist and none of them are multi-compatible with mine. 'Course, this wouldn't be a big issue if THE THING WORKED RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX LIKE IT SHOULD'VE, but alas, that's not how things turned out, and I don't know if putting 20 dollars torward an EZ-V 3-in-1 would fix the problem at all.

Advice, links, sollutions, ANYTHING, please. I'm getting a little desperate.

3. kmjt3112

kmjt3112 Guest

select save option as patch on the rom selection screen, also if you remove you exp pak it will erase the last save of the game you played so dont take it out unless your last played game is not worth keeping the save.
    the gba will only save if you select patch on .

4. ArchFelin

ArchFelin Member

also if you remove you exp pak

You lose the save??

For real?

5. Butchar

Butchar Member

kmjt3112:
    That would be a good sollution if the problem was simpler, but the thing is, the roms won't save in game either. When I play Metroid Fusion and start on file A, then save and go back to the menu, it acts as if I've never played the game before. In Zelda: Link's Awakening/Four Swords, when I start a file it says save data corrupted, and then it says it can't save. When I play the pokemon games and try to save, the game says something along the lines of "save data corrupted. Checking backup. Please wait aproximately one minute."
    The only possible thing I can think of is that the card itself is screwed up somehow. I'm not sure what "flashing" is either, but using the FAS1Flasher, used for another card, sort of woke it up. As I said before, the card would give me the "no slot-2 cartridge inserted" message before I used that homebrew application, so if there was one out there for the m3 ds real, I imagine it'd fix the problem.

Archfelin:
    Yeah, apparently in order for the game to actually save, you need to start up the m3 ds real again. Then it will say "processing" at the bottom, something that only happens after you've played a GBA game. That's why there's no soft reset for GBA roms.

6. ArchFelin

ArchFelin Member

Try the save patch that the other poster mentioned. It will not hurt to try it.

In the meantime get the 3 in 1. I have two of them and they both work with my R4 which I understand is an M3. I use the simplest homebrew Cory1492 GBALdr.

My question about removing the slot 2 flash card losing the save is that while power is off nothing is going to be detected unless there is a mechanical spring trigger somewhere.

7. Butchar

Butchar Member

I did actually try switching the patch on and off and even the real time save but nothing worked, and I even tried using the patcher designed for previous m3 carts, but nothing worked, so I concluded that it's a problem with the cart that is currently unsolvable, unless maybe someone comes up with an m3 flasher homebrew application.

And yes, I will be getting a 3 in 1 as everyone talks about how it's an awesome cart. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. Ironically though, the 3 in 1 is actually the thing that I ordered when I instead got the M3 DS Real full bundle and saved like 40 dollars. I "forgot" to tell realhotstuff.com about this, but both the extra cartridges ended up being junk anyway. I'll order one from a DIFFERENT site eventually.