AfterDawn: Tech news

New upscaling DVD player from OPPO

Written by Matti Robinson @ 12 Mar 2008 6:01 User comments (50)

New upscaling DVD player from OPPO While Sony and Toshiba were competing for attention for their one another cheaper high-def players, a company was developing a quality Upscaling DVD player. OPPO Digital has recently announced its new and hot DVD player capable of up-converting DVD quality video into Full HD glory.
OPPO DV-983H is not necessarily for the masses. While Toshiba HD DVD paperweights are pretty much cheaper than standard DVD player year or two ago, DV-983H has a not so tempting price tag of $399. For DVD enthusiasts however, the player is definetly a fit. The player boasts an impressive list of features, such as Anchor Bay VRS video processing, 7.1-channel audio, USB 2.0 interface for external drives and HDMI-output for the 1080p upscaling.

"We’ve leveraged our years of experience in up-converting technology, not to mention the latest innovations from leading video and audio partners, to release our most powerful, highest-performing player yet," OPPO Digital VP Jason Liao said confidently, "Home theatre enthusiasts can enjoy their DVD and music collections at a whole new level with the DV-983H before investing in an entirely new Blu-Ray library."

Previous Next  

50 user comments

112.3.2008 06:21

Hi Matti! Welcome to the news-secton! (First time I've seen your name on a news item; but then I wasn't looking too hard). <gg>

That's a fine-looking player. It's likely as state-of-the-art as present-day DVD is ever going to be, before the whole world turns Blu. (If it ever does, and can get past "niche" status).

It seems to be a cost-effective alternative to blu-ray for now anyway. I can't get a blu-ray player where I am (Canada) for under $600+, and every blu-ray disc title here in the stores, costs ~ $35.

I HATE being an early-adopter. So, I'm going to wait awhile. Maybe when I see a blu-ray-player-price the same as this OPPO model, I'll take the plunge.

212.3.2008 06:33

Hmmmmmm......

The internals appear to be a tad.... (ummmm)... 'skimpy', though. (Or maybe it's just "me", I dunno).

It's got all the best inputs and outputs though!

312.3.2008 06:53

Bit ugly looking.
While upscaling is great, it still doesnt pack a punch compared to true hd (bd/hddvd).
Theres only so much information on a dvd they can work with.

412.3.2008 07:48
JimmyNice
Inactive

You live in Canada and can't find a player for under $600?!?... really. I live in Fredericton NB Canada, and the Futureshop next door to where I work has 3 regular players for under that price.... just visit their website to verify. The stand alone players are a Sharp and a Sony each for $499.00 and a Samsung for $449. Not to mention I can go buy a new PS3 (if I didn't already have one) for $399... the same price as this "Woo Hoo" upconverting DVD player.

Why in the world would I spend $399 on an upconverting dvd player (which again even the best upconverting is never going to match true 1080p original source, you're just stretching the existing picture)... When for the exact same amount of cash I can get a system that plays Blu-rays, PS3 games, is a great media center, has more USB connections and is wifi ready... oh, not to mention a rock solid upconverting dvd player... Some of the best upconversion I've seen is on the PS3.... And as for buying disks.. I just look for deals between HMV and Futureshop... I've never spent more than $25 for a blu-ray movie... some $20. Most I see are between 24.99 and 29.99 with the sony animation ones being the exception at 34.99... which in all honestly isn't that far off DVD's in their first year or two of existance...

I'm not going to knock anyone that would want to go this route, but why buy something that only plays the dvd collection you have and gives you no room to grow.

Just my penny times 2.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Mar 2008 @ 7:55

512.3.2008 08:11

Originally posted by JimmyNice:
You live in Canada and can't find a player for under $600?!?... really.
Yeah, really. So you wanna split hairs? Perhaps I should have said, "About $600".

Two cheapest players you mention:

$449.99 + 13% tax = $507.37 + 'Ext. Warranty' = ???
$499.99 + 13% tax = $564.99 + 'Ext. Warranty' = ???

Everything else is $600+.

Quote:
I live in Fredericton NB Canada, and the Futureshop next door ... just visit their website to verify.
Been there, done that. Ain't going back.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/13165.cfm

Quote:
Not to mention I can go buy a new PS3 (if I didn't already have one)...
Nor will I be buying a PS3 gaming console anytime soon. If I wanna play games, I'll get a PS3, (or bandy blu-ray-player-prices around with you); if I wanna watch blu-ray movies, I'll get a proper blu ray player.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Mar 2008 @ 8:27

612.3.2008 08:25

I guess for those, like you Klingon, that don't want to 'early adopt' the ever-pricey Blu Ray...this Oppo looks like a viable option.

It would certainly cut down on having to replace any favorites in one's library. Considering Blu Ray movies are generally between $30-$35 here too.

Pretty good features on this little player too.

712.3.2008 08:35

The Oppo 981HD was long considered one of the best, if not the best, upconverting player until the HDDVD players came out, particularly the AX2 with the silicon optix hardware. Perhaps this will put them back on top. $400 is a bit steep though, IMO.

812.3.2008 08:36

According to Oppo Digital this 983 model will be the last upconverter that they will make.

Future models from Oppo will be BluRay players.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/03/11/opp...nd-of-the-line/

Oppo's DV-983H upconverting DVD deck marks the end of the line

Quote:
But what's more significant is a bit of info we gleaned from the PR email accompanying the DV-983H release: the unit is the last DVD player that Oppo will be making. The company that made its name in upscaling DVD is moving whole hog into something else, and we're all-in on a Blu-ray spinner.

912.3.2008 08:36

Originally posted by 7thsinger:
...Considering Blu Ray movies are generally between $30-$35 here too.
I was at our local Walmart the other day, (Nova Scotia) and none of their blu ray titles are much under $35. (Or perhaps I should be more accurate and say "Around ~$35" so as not to confuse anyone out there who may be keeping track of this stuff.) <gg>

[Or perhaps I should move to New Brunswick to scoop up some incredible blu-ray-disc deals???] ;-)

1012.3.2008 09:17
JimmyNice
Inactive

Wow... I didn't realize a response could generate such bile... dude, purchases are totally up to the purchaser. If you have a hate on for a PS3, that's cool... no one's twisting your arm. All I was saying was that anyone can get a blu-ray player for the same cost as this upconverting dvd player.... as far as it being a "proper" blu-ray player, isn't the PS3 already recognized as being one of the best blu-ray players around... and more future proof to boot.

I didn't post on here to change your mind, it's clearly made already and that's cool... that's your right. But I did post for accuracy to anyone else that's considering their next move that might like another piont of view... even if it does come from someone in lowly "New Brunswick"

When I quoted price, I did what the original article did and quoted list price... I figured most people understand taxes and optional ext warranties (so you're betting it's going to break before it's expected life cycle, these stores love folks like that). Futureshop's first 3 pages of blu-ray movies (sorted by price) are all from 19.99-26.99... It's a new format, with a much smaller release scope than dvd's, so of course it's a higher cost. So were dvd's to vhs when they came out... that's the cost of going with something that's new, and not as widely distributed.

I'm a consumer that, I would think like most people, wants to make the most of his dollar. Sure I've seen Resevoir Dogs for 29.99, but when I saw it at an HMV boxing day sale for $15, I grabbed it... when I saw AVP for 19.99... I grabbed it. I never said in my original post that these were regular prices, just that I've never spent more $25 on a disc... which I suppose must be a lie because I didn't include taxes in that (why oh why didn't I get an extended warranty).

So hey, I'll admit that this post, like other posts lobbed at me are full of sarcasm, but the bottom line for me and the only piont I was trying to make was that there are standard blu-ray players that are under $600 list price.

and for me

$399 upconverting dvd player OR $399 blu-ray+game system+upconverting dvd player... one just made more sense to me... maybe it does to other people too... as you've said, it doesn't to you.

...I enjoy debate, but do you have anything beyond semantics on taxes & warranties, or would you prefer to just continue to disparage where I live?

1112.3.2008 09:27

It doesnt make sense if you go buy a proper BD player and then a PS3 for gaming.
Ps3 BD specs are that of BD movie only players and as the last poster mentioned is future proof, some of the players dont have an internet connection and there for will be relying on disc updates, or require you to download an update, burn to disc then upgrade.
Am not sure if the players come with USB? Anyone shed some light?

1212.3.2008 09:28
JimmyNice
Inactive

... and before this snowballs into a complete flamewar.. I went back again and read my post for like a 4th time and realized that the "really" was probably interpreted as a dig at your post when I mean it as surprise (cripes I don't know what prices are across the country).... and my "Woo Hoo" was more of an "I'm not impressed" directed at the OPPO player, not at you Klingon...

just wanted to say that, but you can take it for what it's worth.

JM

1312.3.2008 10:20
nobrainer
Inactive

Seems the MPAA, sony and co. block everyone from format shifting so you are forced to purchase your media over and over again (a licence to print money) i would stick to up scaling dvd players as blu-ray offers little over current dvd's up scaled on a small screen (40" and below) at the average 10 foot viewing distance, and players can be brought for as little as £40 in the uk for a decent model.

this pricey model may just be for the av enthusiast, but it all helps in delaying the transfer to an anti consumer product that was designed around locking down content drm-ray until the final profile has been announced and the evolving drm is at a level where incompatibilities should be minimal. hdcp handshake, ict, ect

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Mar 2008 @ 10:30

1412.3.2008 10:21

This is the reason why the Oppo costs $400:

The Anchor Bay ABT1018 VRS video processing chip.

http://www.anchorbaytech.com/products/semiconductors/abt1018.php

You need to do a head to head comparison but I think this chip could be as good as the Silicon Optix Reon in my Toshiba HD-XA2.

If Oppo can make a BluRay player based on this chip then it could be a great piece of hardware.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Mar 2008 @ 10:35

1512.3.2008 10:32

Originally posted by A_Klingon:
Nor will I be buying a PS3 gaming console anytime soon. If I wanna play games, I'll get a PS3, (or bandy blu-ray-player-prices around with you); if I wanna watch blu-ray movies, I'll get a proper blu ray player.
Hey, how's things Klingon?

I see you still haven't made the jump into the Blu-ray World yet. I can't I blame you. It's often best to sit back and wait things out to make a sensible purchase decision. I just wanted to say though that the PS3 is indeed a full spec Blu-ray player. It is said to be the most future proof player on the market. When profile 2.0 picks up traction, I believe we will see a firmware update to enable this on the PS3.

See this article, it explains this quite well... http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/200...oof-player.html
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Mar 2008 @ 10:35

1612.3.2008 10:47
nobrainer
Inactive

This is what the EFF (consumer campaign group) has to say about Hollywoods (The MPAA) lock down and why ppl need to boycott next gen DRM and stick with DVD and win XP.

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2005/08/why...lywoods-bidding

Originally posted by EFF:
You might be asking yourself that question, if you've been following our series on Microsoft's trusted computing and DRM strategies. No Microsoft customer wants DRM-crippled operating systems, hardware, and video content.

Hollywood, on the other hand, wants ubiquitous DRM. And, wielding DRM and the DMCA, major movie studios can shut Microsoft out of the lucrative digital video market if it doesn't play ball. In that game, consumers will inevitably lose.

Hollywood is saying, loudly and to anyone who will listen, "unless we get content protection that satisfies us, our next-gen high-definition video will not be on your platform." Since there are only a handful of major studios who control 90%+ of commercially important film and TV content, this kind of cartel threat is relatively credible.

In the past, this would have been an empty threat, since someone could just build a device to play their content, whether they liked it or not. Not so since 1998, thanks to the DMCA. Now, if Hollywood encrypts its content, tech vendors need to get permission before they can build a device to play it.

Let's review what's happened since 1998 thanks to that big legal shift:

(Read on for more after the jump.)

1. DVDs are encrypted, which means that you have to sign a license before you can build a DVD player or recorder. So Hollywood gets veto power over new DVD features, thanks to the DVD-CCA license. Companies that build cool DVD products get sued (see, e.g., Kaleidescape).

2. Cable added DRM to its set-top boxes and CableCard architectures, for fear that Hollywood would otherwise favor satellite (which, as the minority player, was happy to court Hollywood) with "premium" content.

3. Blu-ray and HD-DVD are now in a DRM bidding war to please Hollywood, as demonstrated by the Blu-Ray DRM features announced this week.

4. Microsoft is now adding DRM to Windows, for fear that otherwise Hollywood will lock them out of next-gen HD Hollywood content, thereby slamming the door on convergence home theater PC products built on Windows Media Center Edition (MCE) technologies. After all, the traditional consumer electronics companies would be quite happy to have the next generation DVD products play only on purpose-built Blu-Ray boxes.

The computer industry in general is actually quite afraid of being left out of the Hollywood party -- I remember hearing stories about how DVD almost never made it to PCs, because the computer industry was so late to the negotiating table. After all, from Hollywood's point of view, the mainstream market for DVDs is playback on DVD players in your living room. The PC home theater stuff is niche today, untested tomorrow, at best. For the computer guys, on the other hand, this convergence stuff is a critical part of their effort to convince you that you actually need to buy new PCs and displays.

In sum, it's classical economics -- on one side you have a supplier cartel with market power (Hollywood), on the other side you have several competing technology platform providers (Microsoft, the major CE companies, etc) each eager to get picked by the cartel (and thereby gain competitive advantage over those not picked).

Notably, neither Microsoft nor Hollywood are betting on the DRM being uncrackable or preventing widespread P2P file-sharing. In fact, Microsoft's own trusted computing engineers admitted in 2002 that DRM is no silver bullet for digital "darknet" sharing. But that's beside the point from Hollywood's point of view. Hollywood's chief interest in DRM is getting control over disruptive technologies, by forcing innovators to sign licenses (i.e., beg permission) before they can build products that make use of Hollywood content. Meanwhile, Microsoft is betting that giving Hollywood a say in the future of video will pay off in favored access to next-gen Hollywood content, which will, in turn, drive consumers to buy Windows machines and applications.

Reasonable minds certainly can differ on whether this is a good bet for Microsoft. What you can't deny is that consumers lose in the bargain, as they get stuck with less useful, DRM-laden devices today, and a less innovative marketplace tomorrow. After all, if Sony had to ask for a license before building the Betamax VCR in 1976, the history of home video would look very different today.

The Battle for Your Digital Media Devices: click read and stick with dvd. http://w2.eff.org/IP/fairuse/
Originally posted by link:
Major entertainment companies are locking up the audio and video content you own and taking away your rights.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Mar 2008 @ 10:49

1712.3.2008 13:36

Originally posted by juankerr:
According to Oppo Digital this 983 model will be the last upconverter that they will make.

Future models from Oppo will be BluRay players.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/03/11/opp...nd-of-the-line/

Oppo's DV-983H upconverting DVD deck marks the end of the line

Quote:
But what's more significant is a bit of info we gleaned from the PR email accompanying the DV-983H release: the unit is the last DVD player that Oppo will be making. The company that made its name in upscaling DVD is moving whole hog into something else, and we're all-in on a Blu-ray spinner.

Engadget is also saying that more details on the Oppo BluRay player should come out by this summer:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/20/opp...blu-ray-player/

1812.3.2008 15:55
emugamer
Inactive

Originally posted by JimmyNice:
I'm not going to knock anyone that would want to go this route, but why buy something that only plays the dvd collection you have and gives you no room to grow.

Just my penny times 2.
You should meet my Uncle. He's a movie/tv buff with maybe a couple thousand DVD's. He finally finished replacing all of his VHS collection. I doubt he'd be interested in bluray, and he could care less about a PS3 (at 65, I don't think he's played a video game in his life). He's probably getting a HDTV next year, and I'm sure the price of this player will go down. This can be an awesome buy for someone like him. Or anyone, for that matter, who values their rather large DVD collection. Upscaling on a 40-46" in 1080i or P HD res is pretty decent quality. At least by my eyes. It's amazing how the eye works. From about 6', most imperfections in the picture seem to disappear. But when you get closer, you can see the pixelation.

Technology like this would probably hinder bluray growth IMO. Eventually HD will rule all, but I don't think it will be in the near future, especially with companies developing technology that will keep people satisfied with SD. Just my 2 cents.

1912.3.2008 23:15

Quote:
Wow... I didn't realize a response could generate such bile.
Sorry, Jimmy - you must have just caught me in a crummy mood or something - I had just gotten off work, long day, etc. (Don't know if that excuse will 'hold' or not). <gg>

I was generalizing prices, not defining them. The players _are_ expensive on average. At Future Shop or anywhere else. You cannot get much of anything for under $600. (That is only a price generalization.) Some are in the $1,000 range.

Quote:
If you have a hate on for a PS3, that's cool.
I don't hate PS3 gaming consoles, nor anyone who uses them. They're just not for ME. I simply have no use for video games, not the people who play them.

My Comment:

Quote:
[Or perhaps I should move to New Brunswick to scoop up some incredible blu-ray-disc deals???]
Your Replies:

Quote:
...even if it does come from someone in lowly "New Brunswick"
(And) ....

Quote:
...would you prefer to just continue to disparage where I live?
Jimmy, it doesn't matter where you live. It's not important. I would have made the same comment regardless of your home province.

If, you - in New Brunswick - have never paid more than $20-$25 for a blu-ray title, that's *great*! I haven't looked around hardly at all here in Halifax for blu-ray titles, simply because I don't have a blu-ray player. (yet). I was simply relating my experience here at our local Walmart - where each-and-every-single blu-ray title on the shelf was at very-near $35 level. (Yes, with taxes).

You simply came on kinda 'strong' with "all the answers" as it were. (Sort of like 'The World According To Garp'). Rubbed me in the wrong way, I guess.

Offense _was_ taken, but completely withdrawn now.

Peace. -- Klingy --
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Mar 2008 @ 11:17

2012.3.2008 23:41

Quote:
Hey, how's things Klingon?

I see you still haven't made the jump into the Blu-ray World yet. I can't I blame you. It's often best to sit back and wait things out to make a sensible purchase decision. I just wanted to say though that the PS3 is indeed a full spec Blu-ray player. It is said to be the most future proof player on the market. When profile 2.0 picks up traction, I believe we will see a firmware update to enable this on the PS3.

Hi, Ryu !!! :)

The trouble is, like so many others, I will have to start from scratch as I have no HD equipment as yet. It is a pricey upgrade to get into.

Also, as I live in a small, single-bedroom apartment, a large-screen TV (about the only kind that will display true 1080p; most smaller screens are only 720p), would make a tight fit with all the other gear I have in here.

And it would likely tic my landlord off if I tried to hang a 66-pound HD-TV monitor off one of his walls (Screws, holes, etc). The Sharp Aquos 37" 1080p LCD Digital TV, which I was positivley *drooling* over, and which I came SO close to buying last week, weighs 66 pounds net of it's base and any wall-mounting hardware.

I may have to settle for a smaller 720p screen, I don't know yet. And of course, add the cost of a blu-ray player to that. (Ratz!)

I would like to see blu-ray go mainstream. (I would have preferred HD-DVD, but that's just an opinion). Blu Ray is *the* format of choice of the industry now, (we have to live with that) and mass market level would reduce overall cost and make title selection much better & cheaper.

[But I don't plan on 'going anywhere' soon!] 'Been here on AfterDawn for...... (jeeze, I forget!) 4 years or something. Since "the early days". :)

2112.3.2008 23:44

Hello Klingy,

Did you see the post I made up there ^^?

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/638614/3865411

EDIT: Looks like we were both posting at the same time...LOL! I'll go back and read your reply now. :-D

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Mar 2008 @ 12:00

2213.3.2008 00:27

A company nobody heard of combined with a price point that is equal to a real Blu-ray player...what could go wrong?

2313.3.2008 01:18

Originally posted by DieMPAA:
A company nobody heard of combined with a price point that is equal to a real Blu-ray player...what could go wrong?
Hey, I heard of OPPO in 2006!

2413.3.2008 01:35

Originally posted by Ryu77:
Hello Klingy,

Did you see the post I made up there ^^?

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/638614/3865411

EDIT: Looks like we were both posting at the same time...LOL! I'll go back and read your reply now. :-D
Yep - I read it, Ryu, and the full text of the PS3 article you linked to.

Although the article refers to the PS3 as "future-proof", I think it's laser-longevity (how long the laser will last) is probably a greater concern. That's true of any blu-ray player, though. There have been concerns voiced as to how long these new, unfamiliar lasers will reliably function as compared to DVD and HD-DVD. In blu-ray PC burners, that concern is even greater.

Being 'Future-proof' is not exclusive to the PS3. I can't imagine the new wave of Profile 2.0 players that are now coming our way being any-less-so.

But, I just can't "cotton" to the idea of buying a machine whose primary, traditional function is gaming (with movie-playing-ability added on), as opposed to a dedicated movie-player (with a bit of internet-linked-game-playing-ability added on). What would I do with that great big "game-controller" device/thingee/watchamacallit, (with the hand-grip) which I'd never use, and why would I want to pay for all the extra game-playing circuitry and hardware? For me, it's just something else to go wrong. (wear-out/malfunction, etc).

Yes, I know that overall, the price of a PS3 is less than the currently-dreadful prices of a blu-ray standalones. I was looking at one a few days ago at Walmart. (But I still don't want it!) <gg>

There's a blu-ray player in my horizon for sure though. (I actually paid $1500 Canadian for Sony's flagship player when SD DVDs first came out.) I'm not going to make that same, early-adopter mistake again!

Chat later. -- Klingy --

2513.3.2008 01:40

There's a blu-ray player in my horizon for sure though. (I actually paid $1500 Canadian for Sony's flagship player when SD DVDs first came out.) I'm not going to make that same, early-adopter mistake again!

Chat later. -- Klingy --

Boy do I hear you! I agree completely!

2613.3.2008 02:50

Klingy, in regards to the controller. I convinced the Sales Person to throw a Bluetooth Blu-ray remote my way when I bought my PS3. It functions just as good (if not better) than any other stand alone player remote. One advantage is that Bluetooth doesn't require line of sight to work. :-)

2713.3.2008 04:05
nobrainer
Inactive

WoW 3 sony bloggers invading the afterdawn threads. making out like they are all buddy buddy and the ps3 will save your lives.

PPL if you want to be told what you can do with your content lose all your rights, downgrade to a hobbled by DRM blu-ray player. imho stick with DVD's
until the consumer backlash forces DRM.. i mean sony to stop locking the content down further and further.

If you want to work for sony you must blog, lie and deceive.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/02/compulsory_blogging/

Sony BMG UK adds blogging to the job description
A spokesperson for SonyBMG told us "you won't be sacked for failing to blog", but added, rather ominously: "If you don't blog, it's going to be frowned upon. Ged has made it clear that staff are expected to blog and participate in the community. He sees it as part of people's jobs."

but if you blog honestly you end up getting the sack!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=14477
Sony employee fired for comparing PS3 to Xbox 360
A former employee of Sony Online Entertainment has spoken out about how an online article criticising the PlayStation 3 ended up getting him fired from the company.
In January, Robinson posted an article on his blog which read: "Our game just keeps getting moved back... And back... And back. Again, where is the box? Where is the final system? When is it coming out? No one knows and in the mean time people in the industry are starting to get just a little salty."

"You could always tell where the PS3 dev box was because it’s the room that had the F-bomb coming out of it half the day," he added.

But the comments most likely to have riled Sony executives were to do with the PS3's technical capabilities versus those of the Xbox 360: "I’ve also talked with people on the technical side of the Xbox 360. The consistent comment I am hearing from people on my end is, 'The Xbox 360 is better'," Robinson wrote.
they you add to that mostly ALL blu-ray players on the market now are obsolete due to them not being able to conform to profile 2.0. and prices going through the roof due to no competition and the usual price fixing.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36428/113/

STICK TO DVD PPL.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Mar 2008 @ 5:56

2813.3.2008 05:38

nobrainer, step off! It's a public forum. We are not invading anything. We have just as much right to post here as anybody else. My posts here were all well natured. I am not trying to convince anybody to do anything they don't want to. Every Human has the right to make their own decision. I was simply offering my point of view. On the flipside I would say that your posts are of a more forceful nature. Most would say that it is you that has a very opinionated style of posting. It looks as if you are recruiting for the boycott Blu-ray camp.

My main focus here at AfterDawn is helping people but of course you would miss those hundreds of posts because all you do is post your Sony/Blu-ray hating, DRM beware propaganda all through AfterDawn.

nobrainer, can you please show me one post where you have said something positive or helped somebody? Please... ?

I already asked you on another thread what sort of AV equipment you have as you accused us of pretending to be real AV enthusiasts. I already provided my proof. You only need to look on my profile to see that my passion is real. Would you care to provide proof that you are indeed an AV enthusiast?

I am not trying to belittle you. I'm just tired of seeing you post the same thing over and over and over.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Mar 2008 @ 5:42

2913.3.2008 06:18
nobrainer
Inactive

@ Ryu77

turning ever news item into a blu-ray/ps3 /sony thread will just make me post the bad points.

when companies stop being anti-consumer i will not be able to post negative opinions, and sony are one of the worst but the RIAA (sound exchange), MPAA, Sony, M$ all use anti consumer tactics and ppl need to be aware. turning ever news item post into a blu-ray thread will cause me to post the bad points, Price, DRM, Licensing (warhawk PSN), global price fixing (region coding), HDMI HDCP DRM handshake incompatibilities, Foxconn sweatshop making ps3 (and other hardware but not all foxconn factories are sweatshop), the list goes on and on.

RE: av equipment; i could say i have niam or exposure all linked up with van de hull to a set of b&w 800 series or arcam with a dave board yada yada yada, but as its the internet i could be just talking complete crap about the equipment i own and have a poor aiwa midi system sat there with poppy bass and scratchy treble thinking that the stated 100watts is actually the real power.

what happens in February my enthusiast?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Mar 2008 @ 6:28

3013.3.2008 07:05

Originally posted by nobrainer:
@ Ryu77

turning ever news item into a blu-ray/ps3 /sony thread will just make me post the bad points.
This is kind of unavoidable, isn't it? Since Blu-ray is the only "true" High Definition platform that exists in the market now, besides VMD but I am not into Bollywood too much and I would like a choice of more than 20 US titles. If this changes then my interests in this format will certainly change too.

VMD information (Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versatile_Multilayer_Disc

Originally posted by nobrainer:
RE: av equipment; i could say i have niam or exposure all linked up with van de hull to a set of b&w 800 series or arcam with a dave board yada yada yada, but as its the internet i could be just talking complete crap about the equipment i own and have a poor aiwa midi system sat there with poppy bass and scratchy treble thinking that the stated 100watts is actually the real power.
Or you could post a picture like I did (that same pic is also on my profile). I believe that you are avoiding this question.

Here's a thought for you. If I'm so heavily entrenched in the "get Sony rich scheme", then why am I so heavily involved in ripping & transcoding Blu-ray media to PS3 compatible HD files?

I'm also helping many others to achieve this. If anyone is interested, see this link to my thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/621809

Now back to my question. Here's the answer, I am a High Def addict. I will do anything to get my fix. If I see a Blu-ray movie I like, I'll buy it. If I see a torrent I like, I'll download it. Once you've experienced HD, there's no going back. I'll take it Sony flavour. I'll take it Toshiba flavour. I'll take it any flavour it is served.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Mar 2008 @ 7:08

3113.3.2008 07:19

Knock it off...all of you.

3213.3.2008 08:31
hughjars
Inactive

I'm not surprised they're still producing high end SD DVD players, the SD DVD market has some very very long 'legs' left in it yet.

But Blu-ray is the way to kill off HDMs on disc.

It's as simple as that.

If you love movies and you are interested in high def then you really ought to be against Blu-ray.

Their preferred 'direction' is an unworkable exclusive and stupid attempt to fence off high def to bilk the consumer for as much cash as possible.

If that's the kind of future you want then go ahead, personally I'm not so desperate for high def that I'll just ignore the BS that comes with Blu-ray and pay any price they ask for it.

Besides, we don't need Blu-ray.
There are umteen other means of getting excellent high def content and more will be coming as this progresses.

Anyone who honestly imagined Blu-ray as a coming replacement for SD DVD is much mistaken, the truth is that (in this regard) Blu-ray is a failure and will not be replacing SD DVD.
(and you can bet you'll not be seeing any month-by-month Nielsen numbers showing how it is not gaining on SD DVD as we did with the tussle with HD DVD)

The mass-market has far too much sense to be conned into paying the laughable premium the BDA seem to imagine they are entitled to for their sub-spec and limited players.

3313.3.2008 08:43

Originally posted by eatsushi:

You need to do a head to head comparison but I think this chip could be as good as the Silicon Optix Reon in my Toshiba HD-XA2.

If Oppo can make a BluRay player based on this chip then it could be a great piece of hardware.
Isn't the ABT2010 more advanced and would suit a BluRay player better?

3413.3.2008 09:50
nobrainer
Inactive

Quote:
Or you could post a picture like I did (that same pic is also on my profile). I believe that you are avoiding this question.
hang on i've got one for ya!

oops i forgot to remove the link but i could just right click save as, then rename it and upload it to photo bucket ect. i could even scan in a picture from any mag.

Oh and BTW the answer to my question what happens in February, well it is the sound and vision 3 day even at the Marriott hotel in bristol, its the largest gathering of AV and Hi-Fi enthusiasts in the UK all year that has been now running for many years. i'm surprised you didn't know mr av enthusiast! HI-Fi is not sony i'm afraid makes like, Exposure, Epos, B&W, Wilson Benesch, Denon, Arcam, Dynaudio, Kef, Niam, Loewe, Ruark, Henley Designs are true Hi-Fi sony is a high street cheap make with marketing to make it appear expensive! http://www.bristolshow.co.uk/

Blu-Ray is not the only source of hi-def media as streaming and downloading are two viable alternatives to Sony's Drm-Ray.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Mar 2008 @ 10:09

3513.3.2008 10:12
JimmyNice
Inactive

Hey Klingon... thanks and no ill will here either.

I really just don't understand the out and out hate people have for one company over another. We have NoBrainer who must have had his first born stolen by Sony (disguised as Rumplestiltskin) and Hughjars who now that HD-DVD is dead, has taken the position that HD Disc media (now only blu-ray) is done anyway and will never succeed... his predictions being so consistantly accurate.

Has anyone read this article... how the whole war was created by and maintained by Microsoft? It's here

I get that there will be people who won't be moving off dvd for a while.... and DVD does still look pretty good on an upconverting system with high def. But I have a 52" Sony Bravia (somebody call the drm police, I'm using a Sony product) and my lazyboy is about 8ft from the screen and the couch is about 10ft from the screen. The difference is easily apparent. For anyone wondering about their screen size, resolution and distance, there's a great chart here.

I mean my Grandmother still has hundreds of vhs tapes and she'll never get rid of them. I gave away 700 original VHS tapes in a yard sale last summer. I have over 400 dvd's now. Will I replace them all.. no... But I have bought 10 blu-rays since I got my tv & PS3 last December. Technology is making things easier to get music and movies in a digital format as opposed to a disc... but while music is there... I don't believe (again, just my opinion) movies aren't going to be at that level anytime soon.

I mean MP3's are everywhere... what have they been around for like 15 years... everyone has an MP3 Player... iTunes is huge... but you know what... even with the sharp decline in CD sales, digital sales still only account for 15% of the marketthe rest still go to poor old outdated CD's... and of course illegal downloading.

Movies are going through the same kind of cycle and we have the compression rates out there with divx & mkv for dvd quality and hd quality video, but if the divx is a drop in the bucket, then hd video is a fraction of that drop. What's easier, loaning your a blu-ray copy of your movie, or going out to rent it yourself... vs waiting for something to download, having a timelimit to watch it and then being at the mercy of the hard drive... hey nothing ever happens to those.

I have no doubt that eventually, everyone will have their Apple tv boxes, 360's and PS3's (or whatever future interation of each) downloading content and never having to touch a disk... but that world, while just starting to trickle out... is a long way from dominating.

DVD does dominate... and will for a while... just as VHS did... I mean the industry was absolutely shocked at how quickly DVD took off, wasn't it like the largest migration of technology in history? but it was because there was a clear difference in what people saw on there screen... you know those regular CRT's that most people still have.

I saw a huge jump in quality with blu-ray on a 52" screen sitting the distance I am... and especially when I was walking through stores and like any shopper, probably 5ft away.

If you're using a 40" screen and 15ft away... I don't doubt that dvd's look great... and that's the conundrum... people don't see the big jump in visuals, on the TV they already own.

In the end it's going to come down to consumer demand... the more HDTV's that sell, the more Sony trojan horses that go out the door, the more people go to a friends house and say "Wow! I want that"... and oh can I borrow your external hard drive so I can connect it to a PC to my TV to watch that HD digital file... oh I can just borrow a disk... yeah I'll do that instead.

Again... just my opinion and you're certainly welcome to yours

jm

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Mar 2008 @ 10:18

3613.3.2008 10:31

JimmyNice & nobrainer,

Still zero tolerance for personal attacks.

3713.3.2008 10:45

And it would likely tic my landlord off if I tried to hang a 66-pound HD-TV monitor off one of his walls (Screws, holes, etc).
If you have a Costco near you, check out the pictures of these stands:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showt...=402464&page=13

The package includes an optional TV mount and post. I paid $189.99 CAD + taxes a couple of months ago.

3813.3.2008 10:53

Re: HD-Addicts:

Quote:
...there's no going back. I'll take it Sony flavour. I'll take it Toshiba flavour. I'll take it any flavour it is served.
Even 'Xtra Crispy' with gravy, tasty coleslaw, and a side o' fries? :-D

3913.3.2008 10:55

nobrainer, are you trying to imply that my photo isn't real? By posting pictures like you just did just re-enforces my belief that you are avoiding posting a pic.

Remember, I am only saying this because you said we were claiming to be AV enthusiasts... http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/636265/3857042

Ok, enough off topic posting. I really don't want to play these immature games anymore. The mods are already not happy with us. We really should respect the people that take the time to post these news articles for us to read.

Just a final note... I am a person that believes in solutions not problems. If something happens that I don't like or wished was different, I ask myself this question "what can I do to make it better or change it?". Complaining is a non productive, pointless activity. The only thing brings change and results are actions. With that said, instead of complaining how bad Blu-ray and DRM is, why don't you look for ways to circumvent it? I am one of the very few people here that are making advances in Blu-ray ripping and transcoding. As I linked to earlier in the thread ( http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/621809 ). If more people would put the time in as I have towards working out ways to rip Blu-ray to various types of alternative media, then you would have nothing to complain about and you could be enjoying the wonderful World of High Definition without your Blu-ray (DRM) concerns.

Right now the only people that I can see that are working to achieve this are on another forum, which is where I get all my great info from. I come here because I believe that I can find other like minded people to bounce ideas off. I can tell you this though... I am getting a little tired of trying to have positive, constructive conversations only to have to defend myself all the time.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Mar 2008 @ 9:37

4013.3.2008 11:02

Originally posted by mackdl:

And it would likely tic my landlord off if I tried to hang a 66-pound HD-TV monitor off one of his walls (Screws, holes, etc).
If you have a Costco near you, check out the pictures of these stands:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showt...=402464&page=13

Yep, we have a Costo - I was there about a month ago.

Thanks for the link and pics.

Hmmmmm..... while those stands are _very_ pretty, they would only add yet additional bulk to my already cramped quarters, and add another ~$200 to the mix.

I will be working-my-way around all these problems in due course, though. (I always do!) :)

4113.3.2008 11:10

Guys, guys.........

Please - Just .... Let ..... It .... Go..... OK?

It _doesn't_matter_.

Getting ready to head out for work now. I hope to come back around 1:00 AM tomorrow morning and find everyone has shaken hands, and 'made up'.

Rebellion is not an option.... Resistance is futile ... Whining is irrelevant....You *will* comply.... - [Seven-Of-Nine]

:)

EDIT:

I see the problem has been dealt with even as I was typing the above post.

(See? 7-Of-9 don't take no guff!!)

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Mar 2008 @ 11:22

4213.3.2008 11:14

You may have a point there. The 1018 and the 2010 are both second-gen chips. They could have a lower-end model with the 1018 and they could put the 2010 in a higher-end model.

4313.3.2008 16:50
leady
Inactive

I am familiar with oppo. Their mp3 player is pretty good.

4413.3.2008 22:22

You may have a point there. The 1018 and the 2010 are both second-gen chips. They could have a lower-end model with the 1018 and they could put the 2010 in a higher-end model.
An Oppo BluRay player would definitely be worth a close look.

4513.3.2008 23:08

Ahhhhhh...... that's much better. :)

Everyone's being good.

GOOD!

I thought I almost heard a gentle breeze rustle in the trees for a minute there! :)

4614.3.2008 00:48

Ahhhhhh...... that's much better. :)

Everyone's being good.

GOOD!

I thought I almost heard a gentle breeze rustle in the trees for a minute there! :)
Hehe... I believe it was only one or two people who usually make all the noise. Now that one of them are on forced vacation, we can go back to having mature, constructive conversations.

Ohhhh... Nooooo.... Look!... It wasn't the breeze that rustled the trees. Who's that up there on the branch spying on us all?! :-P

4714.3.2008 07:54

Now ... we can go back to having mature, constructive conversations. :-P
We now return you to our regularly-scheduled programming ....

Tonight's movie features the Dynamic-Duo discussing the fate of the world. WILL the Caped Crusaders be able to save our planet?

Disclaimer:

"This movie is intended for mature audiences only. Language and situations may prove disturbing to younger viewers. Viewer discretion is advised."

[Batman] - My machine is better than your machine.
[Robin] - No it isn't. Mine is better than yours.
[Batman] - Everyone here knows it isn't.
[Robin] - No they don't. Just ask anyone else.
[Batman] - Oh yes it is, *too*!
[Robin] - *FanBoy*!
[Batman] - 'Sticks & Stones... Mine is still better. So THERE.
[Robin] - Oh no it isn't either!
[Batman] - IT IS SO.
[Robin] - NO WAY!
[Batman] - *IS* !
[Robin] - *ISN'T* !
[Batman] - *IS* !
[Robin] - *ISN'T* !
[Batman] - I'm tellin' my mother on you!
[Robin] - Yeah? I'll get my big brother to beat you up!
:-D

Stay tuned for the Ongoing Saga....... Movie @ 6:00. <gg>

4814.3.2008 08:45

Quote:
Now ... we can go back to having mature, constructive conversations. :-P
We now return you to our regularly-scheduled programming ....

Tonight's movie features the Dynamic-Duo discussing the fate of the world. WILL the Caped Crusaders be able to save our planet?

Disclaimer:

"This movie is intended for mature audiences only. Language and situations may prove disturbing to younger viewers. Viewer discretion is advised."

[Batman] - My machine is better than your machine.
[Robin] - No it isn't. Mine is better than yours.
[Batman] - Everyone here knows it isn't.
[Robin] - No they don't. Just ask anyone else.
[Batman] - Oh yes it is, *too*!
[Robin] - *FanBoy*!
[Batman] - 'Sticks & Stones... Mine is still better. So THERE.
[Robin] - Oh no it isn't either!
[Batman] - IT IS SO.
[Robin] - NO WAY!
[Batman] - *IS* !
[Robin] - *ISN'T* !
[Batman] - *IS* !
[Robin] - *ISN'T* !
[Batman] - I'm tellin' my mother on you!
[Robin] - Yeah? I'll get my big brother to beat you up!
:-D

Stay tuned for the Ongoing Saga....... Movie @ 6:00. <gg>
No offense intended, but isn't this the sort of thing that they have been trying to avoid lately here on AD? That is, posts that are off-topic, hi-jacks, and/or even slightly inflammatory. Both you and Ryu77 have made several posts that have nothing to do with the topic of this news post. I am not trying to single you guys out, but I'd rather not scroll through several posts of off-topic banter just to get to the pertinent comments, or read about someone celebrating when others are suspended. I've seen quite a few posters get "vacations" for posts like this if they occur repeatedly. As a moderator, I would think that you would be expected to be a shining example.

4914.3.2008 09:43

Quote:
No offense intended, but isn't this the sort of thing that they have been trying to avoid lately here on AD?
Having a "bad-hair" day, Chiknlitl?

Quote:
That is, posts that are off-topic, hi-jacks, and/or even slightly inflammatory. Both you and Ryu77 have made several posts that have nothing to do with the topic of this news post.
You would be hard-pressed to find ANY thread, ANYwhere at ANYtime whose stated topic stays rigidly welded to it's thread's name, and where every member diligently keeps their nose to the grindstone-at-hand. It's just the nature of the beast. If you _have_ a question or problem about something, then ASK it. If you want to share something with someone else to help them, then share it. If you don't approve of the way a given post is going, then don't read it.

I know that sounds a bit harsh - it is not meant to be so, but you have to be realistic. People don't live in a vacuum. Not even Moderators.

Quote:
I am not trying to single you guys out, but I'd rather not scroll through several posts of off-topic banter just to get to the pertinent comments, or read about someone celebrating when others are suspended.
If you can't see that I am simply trying to 'lighten up' the general mood and move everyone away from posts that degenerate into a mess, then I guess you miss the whole point.

Quote:
As a moderator, I would think that you would be expected to be a shining example.
Concern noted. And as a member, YOU should realize that Moderators are not all just 'Forum-Cops' whose sole functions are to sleuth around the boards all day seeking the 'bad guys' out - we have lives too. Just like you.

We like to banter, learn, and share our experiences with others. Which is *also* the nature-of-the-beast.

And be assured, I will not be engaging in any long, protracted discussions with you about this in this open forum, putting us back to where we just left.

If you are truly bothered by all of this, send me a PM, - I'll be happy to discuss it with you - if I can find the time - or else move on.

5014.3.2008 10:02

ChiknLitl, I made one off topic post that was a whole 3 lines (4 if you include the space). It was just nice to breath a sigh of relief knowing that I can finally post without getting attacked from a certain individual that I don't need to name.

Sometimes a little bit of humour is what is needed on these threads to keep everybody smiling and not attacking each other. A_Klingon has added a nice touch on more than one occasion. I have also done this many times. It's much better than the scenario that A_Klingon comically posted. What makes it even funnier, is the truth of it. I can't even count how many times I have seen arguments over trivial, petty things. I would much rather we can all be friends. Even if we have different views, that doesn't mean we can't share them and respect each others opinion.

If you do actually read the material I post, I am always attempting to make positive and helpful posts. I frequently attempt to diffuse disagreements which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

On that note, why don't you check out my new thread here... http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

It's only new and I plan to add a lot more to it (work in progress). ChiknLitl or anybody else, if you can think of anything that you'd like to see on that thread please feel free to contribute ideas... Also, any questions regarding any of the applications please feel free to ask. :-D

Now, let's get back to topic. What was it again? Oh yes... "New upscaling DVD player from OPPO".

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
7 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive