1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The complete HD (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) back-up thread.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Ryu77, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Below you will find a very useful list of links and explanations for applications needed for HD-DVD and Blu-ray ripping, transcoding and authoring etc.

- Blu-ray Conversion Kit & Guide: Blu-ray Conversion Kit & Guide Link

- MKV (Matroska) to M2TS guide: AfterDawn Link

- Blu-ray (BD, BD-9 & BD-5) authoring guide using Sonic Scenarist (commercial): Outside Link

- HD-DVD to Blu-ray conversion guide: Outside Link

- HD-DVD to DVD-9 guide: Outside Link

---------------------------------------------------------------------

**Links for Software, Applications & Tools etc.**

abc.png (needed for SUPread to open srt subtitles) : abc.png Link

AnyDVD-HD : AnyDVD-HD Link

AVCHD-Me: AVCHD-Me Link

AVIAddXSubs (<--AfterDawn link): AVIAddXSubs Link

AVIsynth (<--AfterDawn link): AVIsynth Alternate Link

AVSedit (AVIsynth GUI) (<--AfterDawn link): AVSedit Alternate Link

BD Rebuilder (Beta) (<--AfterDawn link): BD Rebuilder Link

BDedit : BDedit Link

Chapter Grabber : Chapter Grabber Link

EAC3to (<--AfterDawn link): EAC3to Alternate Link

EAC3to and More GUI: EAC3to and More GUI Download Link

EVO demux: EVO demux Link

HdBrStreamExtractor: HdBrStreamExtractor Download Link

MediaInfoRaw : MediaInfoRaw Link

MeGUI (<--AfterDawn link) : MeGUI Alternate Link

MeGUI with all Encoders & Plugins included : MeGUI Complete Package Link

MeGUI & x264 Ryu77 Blu-ray/AVCHD Profiles: MeGUI & x264 Ryu77 Blu-ray/AVCHD Profiles Link

mkv2vob (<--AfterDawn link): mkv2vob Alternate Link

MKVextractGUI (<--AfterDawn link) : MKVextractGUI Alternate Link

MKVtoolnix (<--AfterDawn link) : MKVtoolnix Alternate Link

RipBot264 (<--AfterDawn Link) : RipBot264 Alternate Link

SubRip (<--AfterDawn link) : SubRip Alternate Link

Subtitle Workshop v2.51 (<--AfterDawn Link) : Subtitle Workshop v2.51 Alternate Link

SUPread : SUPread Link

tsMuxeR : tsMuxeR Link

UsEac3to: UsEac3to Link

**Explanations and uses for the above applications**

abc.png: SUPread uses this as a reference point when converting the text based srt subtitles to the bitmap sup files needed for Blu-ray authoring.

AnyDVD-HD: This is commercial software but one that I would highly recommend. It is the absolute cornerstone to all of the preceding information found in this thread. AnyDVD-HD removes all encryption and copy protection on the fly from your Blu-ray, HD-DVD or DVD as soon as you load a disc into your drive. This application will allow you to rip your movie onto to your Hard Drive.

AVCHD-Me: An application that slightly modifies Blu-ray folders to be playable as an AVCHD from external media. Execute this application and navigate to your Blu-ray folders. This application will enable the folders to be played just like a disc would (DTS audio, chapters, subs etc.) but from external media.

AVIAddXSubs: An application for multiplexing avi (video + audio) and subtitle files into the DivX media format container. The DivX media format is an extension of the avi container that allows mutiple audio tracks, subtitles, menus and chapter points etc.

AVIsynth: An absolute must have for anyone into video/audio encoding. This is one of the most powerful video processing tools available. It utilises a massive filter base and offers on the fly frameserving, eliminating the need to waste hard drive space with temporary files.

AVSedit: A front end (GUI) for AVIsynth.

BD Rebuilder: An all in one application that re-authors a Blu-ray disc. This application gives you the option to keep the entire disc (menus, extras etc.) or just the main movie. The choices available for your target size are DVD-5, DVD-9 or BD-25. This application automates video encoding with x264 and audio encoding with Aften's AC3 (Dolby Digital) encoder.

BDedit: A GUI to edit files on a Blu-ray disc (index.bdmv, *.clpi, *.mpls).

Chapter Grabber: Chapter Grabber will extract chapter times from DVD, HD-DVD, and BluRay discs and combine them with chapter names from the internet.

EAC3to: A commandline application for converting E-AC3, TrueHD, PCM and DTS-HD audio tracks to AC3, DTS or FLAC. Extracts AC3 frames from Blu-Ray AC3/TrueHD tracks. Extracts DTS core from DTS-HD tracks etc. etc. EAC3to also equipped with a wide variety of audio filters.

EAC3to and More GUI: A GUI for the command line application EAC3to (and other applications). This GUI makes the wide variety of features available in EAC3to available for those that are not familiar with command line scripting.

EVO demux: EVO demux is a HD-DVD demultiplexer. It's a GUI based on drmpeg's demux 0.3. It is capable of saving all streams, reading info from XPL file or from the EVO with drag and drop support.

HdBrStreamExtractor: A GUI for EAC3to that allows easy identification of the playlist that points to the correct main movie M2TS files on a Blu-ray disc. This application will also allow you to export a text file with the chapter information and you can also select and demux the streams you wish to keep. This application must be executed from the EAC3to folder to function correctly.

MediaInfoRaw: This tool gives detailed information about your media file and the elementary streams it contains.

MeGUI: This application can accept an AVIsynth script and transcode to various video (h264, Xvid, LMP4 and Snow) and container formats (mkv, mp4 and avi). This application also includes a mkv, mp4 and avi muxing tool and other various tools.

MeGUI with all Encoders & Plugins included: This is a stand alone package with all plugins included. This also contains profiles that I have created for the x264 encoder via the MeGUI interface. These profiles are optimised for quality and are AVCHD/Blu-ray compliant. They are listed under Ryu77 in the dropdown menu.

MeGUI & x264 Ryu77 Blu-ray/AVCHD Profiles: These are the profiles that I created to easily create Blu-ray or AVCHD compliant video files. They each have 4 preset levels for different quality.

mkv2vob: mkv2vob will remux MKV files with h264 video and AC3 audio to a VOB file which is playable on the Sony PS3. If incompatible streams are detected mkv2vob will transcode these to mpeg2 for video and/or Dolby Digital (ac3) 5.1 @ 640kbs for the audio.

MKVextractGUI: A GUI to demultiplex (demux) Matroska files. The MKVextract.exe from MKVtoolnix is needed for this GUI to run.

MKVtoolnix: This is a set of tools to create, edit and give detailed information about Matroska (MKV) files.

RipBot264: A very simple and easy to use GUI for encoding various types of video to h264. Includes profiles for iPod, PSP, Game Consoles and Blu-ray.

SubRip: An OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program used to rip subtitles from a DVD and convert them to srt (text based), which then can be used in various forms of containers and authoring applications.

Subtitle Workshop v2.51: Subtitle Workshop has the ability to import and export almost every variation of subtitle format that exists. It also has quote an extensive toolbox (fps conversion, spellcheck, case conversion etc.).

SUPread: SUPread can show the subpictures (sup/.pts files) demuxed from HD-DVD discs by EVOdemux. This application is also able to convert srt (SubRip) subtitles to Blu-ray compatible (sup) subtitles.

tsMuxeR: tsMuxeR is a transport stream muxer which supports most HD input formats. Input formats supported are elementary streams, ts, m2ts, evo, vob, mpg and Matroska (mkv/mka). Input video can be h264, VC-1 or mpeg2. Input audio can be aac, ac3, e-ac3 (DD+), Dolby True HD (for streams with AC3 core only), DTS and DTS-HD. This application also supports subtitles. The subtitles imported can be in the native BD Presentation Graphics Stream format or tsMuxeR can convert text based (srt) subtitles to Presentation Graphics Stream (.sup) format. Output formats are ts, m2ts and Blu-ray.

UsEac3to: Another front end (GUI) for EAC3to. This is easier to use than Eac3to and More GUI. However, there are less features that are available. Extra commands can also be entered manually.

If anyone discovers any dead links, please notify me so I can rectify them.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I just downloaded a pretty popular movie based on one of the best RPG's ever (part VII). I believe it was a HD broadcast rip becuase I don't think it exists on BD or HDDVD, the resolution is 720p, the dialogue is Japanese with no subs, the file is .avi (Xvid). Here is what I need to do:

1. I have the DVD so I plan to rip the subs but I do not know how.

2. I might need to slow the subs from 29.97 fps to 23.976 fps, once again; how? I'm not sure what the video fps is yet.

3. I want to then hardcode the subs in while converting to h264 so I can create a m2ts.

4. It looks like Nero can do some of this this (except rip the subs), what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
    O!

3. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Hello Odin,

To do this you will need SubRip, Subtitle Workshop v2.51 and AVIsynth (I think you already have this) from the above list. Then follow these steps.

1) Rip your DVD to your HDD using DVD decrypter or any other application you like (make sure you rip it in folder format).

2) Now open SubRip, and open up your first VOB (VTS_01_1.VOB), SubRip will automatically load the rest of the VOB files. Now press the start button. You will then need to tell the OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software what each letter is once. Please take care when entering italics and upper/lower case. Once it has a database of what each letter is, it will convert the image based subs on the DVD to a text file. I would advise selecting the same frame rate as the source in the bottom window just to avoid confusion. The source framerate is up the top of the upper window, for example... MODE: NTSC 30fps (720x480). Once it has completed the OCR process, save the subtitle as srt.

3) Open up Subtitle Workshop v2.51. Then select input FPS as 29.97 and output FPS as 23.976. Save new srt subtitle.

4) To hardcode the sub, use AVIsynth with the following script...

DirectShowSource("D:\Video.mkv",23.976)
    loadplugin("D:\VSFilter.dll")
    TextSub("D:\Subtitle.srt")

5) Load the AVIsynth script into your preferred encoding application, such as MeGUI, RipBot264, Nero Recode etc.

6) Encode away...

7) Use tsMuxeR to mux the video, audio etc. into a m2ts container.

PS: Why do you want to hardcode the subs? There is a reliable method that works now to create AVCHD discs with switchable subtitles.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  4. odin24

odin24 Regular member

OK, looks like the video was 29.97 because the video and subs were slow.

Before I retry this I'll give your "reliable method" a shot. I'm assuming it's with the latest version of TSmuxer. Since the subs can be switchable, what about the audio, if so I'd like to include the english AC3 track as well, I've already ripped it. Please advise.

EDIT:
    I figured it out, this is great! I muxed the video, Japanese AC3, English AC3, and the subs with TSmuxer, Blu-ray. The audio is switchable, but the subs will not shut off.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  5. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Ryu, as this thread title would indicate, is there a way to create discs similar to a AVCHD (blu ray) for HD-DVD players. I have a player myself, pretty much a paper weight now, if at all possible I'd like to start using it instead of my PS3 and save it the wear and tear.

Thanks, O!

6. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

I'm sure there is but I have no practical way of experimenting as I don't have a HD-DVD player... Anyone?

EDIT: I have added EVO demux into the above applications.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  7. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

o we need vc-1 for tsmuxer
    please help

8. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

It already supports this... Use EVO demux (if your source is HD-DVD) and/or (or = if your source is Blu-ray) tsMuxeR from the above applications. :-D

See here for more tsMuxeR details... http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/621809

Also, a big thank you to Roman from Smart Labs... The author of tsMuxeR.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  9. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

thankyou man i really appreciate it

10. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Which method did you use? Did you output m2ts or Blu-ray with tsMuxeR? The subtitles are meant to function exactly the same as a commercial Blu-ray disc. So you should be able to switch them on or off. I have a feeling something might have been missed.

So far, I've had one attempt at using tsMuxeR with subs and Blu-ray output. My result wasn't too favourable. My disc seemed to "stick", it didn't want to seek (FF/REW) and skip chapters.

Edit: It seems by disabling "Continually insert PPS/SPS" in tsMuxeR will eliminate the sticking when seeking (FF/REW). I am not 100% on this as I am still researching this subject to gain clarity on this matter.

I am about to try a new method using Sonic Scenarist BDA v4.2 (commercial software) and a handful of other tools . I'll post back with the results.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  11. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I used TSmuxer blu-ray output, the subs worked great. I didn't try to seek or skip. I am still trying to sync the subs so on my next run I'll try both and get back.

I'm also going to try mvk2vob, and TSmuxer (.TS) --> UDF_2.5 and play on my HD DVD player, I'm just curious to see if it'll work.

12. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

tsMuxeR has been updated to v1.5.1b. See the link section for the new version.

13. odin24

odin24 Regular member

What's new with the latest version?

14. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Odin, I always update that info on the PS3 thread (first post)... http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/621809/3757478

Check the supported formats and the history.

By the way, I am about to try a new method using Sonic Scenarist BD authoring software (commercial). It looks very promising and can do subs with 720p. Unlike the tsMuxeR/SUPread method which can only do subs with 1080p media.

Edit: I just realised that I already mentioned the Sonic Scenarist method earlier. I got side tracked and didn't actually get around to trying it yet. This time I have actually started... lol!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  15. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Please let me know the outcome of your 720p/subs project, I am waiting to process a couple of 720p movies myself.

16. legion455

legion455 Member

I have a Lite-on BluRay LH-2B1S reader/writer ... and am trying to get a movie into an easy to use format, such as AVI or MKV. AnyDVDHD will rip the movie into a 'large' set of folders on the hard drive. My questions are how to continue from this point to get a 1080 AC3 file?

I have had success with the SD DVD disks using DVD Fab Platinum, which converts to avi no sweat, and allows me to select which audio/subs to include. ... so how does one accomplish this with the BD format?

thanks
    ALlen

17. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Hey Ryu, I aquired a copy of Scenarist myself. I gave it a try by following the user guide that came with it, only to find out I did something wrong along the way. It really seems like a lot of work just to get subs on to a 720p movie. I think this is a little beyond my understanding at this point. It does however look like a really good authoring program that I would like to utilize at some point.

Please let me know how your project went, I am curious to see if everything worked out for you.

18. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Yes, you are right... Sonic Scenarist BD v4.2 is quite complicated to use. However, it is really worth the effort. The results are flawless.

I just created an AVCHD (BD-9) disc. I got switchable subs working on a 720p h264 file. I also included 2 audio tracks (1 DTS and 1 AC3 track). Which is another advantage from authoring in the Blu-ray format. m2ts media files can only play AC3. AVCHD discs allow both DTS and AC3 formats to play. FF/REW works perfectly from the disc which seems to be a little dodgy from tsMuxeR. I am thinking that this method might be worth posting a guide about.

I can definitely help you, but I would need to know what your desired platform is for playback? Will you be playing your media on a stand alone Blu-ray player? PS3? Xbox 360? PC? etc...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  19. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  20. legion455

legion455 Member

I can definitely help you, but I would need to know what your desired platform is for playback? Will you be playing your media on a stand alone Blu-ray player? PS3? Xbox 360? PC? etc...[/quote]

Last week I got a 'Popcorn Hour' Media Streamer(Networked Media Tank) (internal 750GB HD)
    which plays just about anything you can throw at it ... avi, mkv, vob, iso, divx, etc, etc , etc ....

So I've been archiving my videos to it's hard drive thru my network. For SD stuff, ... I;ve been using DVDfab to rip the bare videos(AC3) and save as an avi file (SD file size = 720MB 2hr movie), ... which seems to work well. (don't know if some other format would be better, display wise, other than just doing an ISO of the whole disk, .. but the ISO takes up too much room ie 4.5GB and Ihave almost 400 movies).. so now I bought a Lite-On BD reader/writer and want to do basically the same thing with the 20 or so BluRay (and HD) disks that I have. I would also like to just archive the movies themselves, and not the whole disk. My TV is the Sony 60"A2000 which is a 1080p set.

Looks like DVDfab just put out an update to DVDfabHD but don't know if that's help any.

thank you again! - Great Forum!
    Allen