1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for Leopard Compatible NZB Program

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by Hard, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Hard

Hard Member

I am thinking about purchasing a new Mac which will be running Leopard. I currently use iGrabNews to process NZB files to download from newsgroups. I have read that iGrabNews does not work with Leopard. I have done some research, and have found Unison not to be a good choice either because it doesn't allow multiple connections. I figure if I'm paying to have 10 connections with my usenet provider, I'd like to use them. I was just looking for suggestions on good software that's Leopard compatible to process NZB files. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

2. Hard

Hard Member

Gosh, thank you to everyone who took the time to help me. So great.

3. susieqbbb

susieqbbb Guest

Well you can use the mail app to read newsgroups.

But for multiple connections you need the .mac service

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

Panic's Unison supports NZB files.
    http://www.panic.com/unison/

Another option is to run something like VMWare Fusion and run Windows programs inside OS X.

5. Hard

Hard Member

Thank you to both of you for your replies. susieqbbb, does the mail app with .mac service support the use of NZB files?

Xian, Unison isn't an option for me because to my knowledge it only allows one connection. Am I incorrect on this?

6. Xian

Xian Regular member

Unison allows simultaneous downloads. You can specify the number of connections in the Downloads section of the Preferences.

To be honest, I haven't found any of the Mac newsreaders that I like as well as Agent or Newzbin or an IRC program I like as well as mIRC so I run those in a VMWare session instead of running the Mac versions.

7. Hard

Hard Member

Thank you for your input Xian. Dummy me believing everything i read anywhere I read it. I grabbed Unison, and of course you were right. Downloads with multiple connections just fine and it seems efficient for what I need it for. Thanks very much for the input. I ended up testing it on my current mac running 10.4.11. Since it's Leopard compatible, it's going to be the one I use with Leopard. Now I have to stop being lazy and buy my new mac.