1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

media Q

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by djf1530, Jan 3, 2004.

1. djf1530

djf1530 Member

will my dvd burn faster with 4x media. my dvd burner is a 4x machine. will video quality increase and speed increase if i upgrade my memory??

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

a QUALIFIED Yes...

With faster burn speeds, certain issues may arise, due to the increase in rotational speed and the consequencial reduction in time allowed for the laser to perform a state-change in the dye level:

the quality of the drive - as rotational speeds increase, the effect of ANY small imbalance of rotating parts increases, cheap drives MAY introduce problems at higher speeds.

the quality of the media - rotational problems as above, less-than-perfect manufacturing will produce a disk that is within balanace tolerances at low speed, but vibrates at higher speeds, such vibration can be in BOTH horizontal and vertical planes.
    Vertical plane vibration (flutter) has the effect of constantly changing the distance between the laser lens and the dye layer, lasers are manufactured to focus at an EXACT distance (the dye layer).

quality of drive & media combined - especially with cheap media, the laser has to burn a pit in HALF the time when burning at TWICE the speed, which is perfectly reasonable.
    But, if the laser is operated at the same Effective Radiated Power, burns at the higer speed can result in a "feathering" of the leading and trailing edges of the pit, so some laser mechanisms increase the ERP to achieve a cleaner transition, and some dyes react poorly (designed to work with a certain range of ERP).

So, rule-of-thumb is ONLY use TOP Quality media at the higher speeds (IF you MUST burn at 4x, you only save a few minutes, after all).

Hope this helps...

Have Fun...

3. djf1530

djf1530 Member

if i increase my memory from 256 to 512 will that help with the burning process, mainly video quality and speed??

4. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

Increasing memory will make NO difference to video quality, it MAY make a difference to playback on your pc but doubtful.

It will make NO difference to burn speed UNLESS your software is in a right mess (if that is so, a wipe & re-install will get you MUCH better performance).

On Windows2000 and XP there is no such thing as too much memory (up to the limit of your motherboard support - 2 Gig support is normal, 3 Gig support is common, 4 Gig support is rare).

Achieving BEST performance on a pc is a time-consuming balancing act between CPU, Memory, I/O (hard-drives etc) and the tasks in progress and requires an in-depth understanding of how everything works etc. etc.
    Not for the faint-hearted.

Make friends with a geek/nerd/techie from your area, have them round for a meal, go for a couple of beers (if you are old enough LOL) - they need the friends & you could really benefit (or more to the point, your PC would).

Hope this helps..
    Have Fun...