1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

toshiba satellite bios password?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by drilon1, Mar 25, 2008.

1. drilon1

drilon1 Member

ey guys, ive had this toshiba satellite laptop for a while now, but all of a sudden it started crashing, took it to a friend to fix, when i got it back it just kept gettin BSOD (blue screen of death), so then i passed it on2 this other guy, me bein busy and all fogot about it, i got it back just recently and now when i turn it on, it shows "in touch with tomorrow toshiba..press f12 etc etc" then it goes onto a black screen, and ask's for password? i put in my login password and what not..nothing! also i try pressing f12 when it says to and nothing happens still..

i got no clue what to do!! ive looked around and tryed the keydisk method which didnt work, but i also read sumwhere theres sum battery on the hard drive i can take out? but when i pulled out the hard drive, there was this black circle thing (which im guessin is it) but i couldnt pull it out..

does any1 have any idea on what i could do?

ps:called toshiba and they said id have 2 ship it them and pay like $100 or something..thats really last resort..

thanks

2. Zer0ink

Zer0ink Regular member

laptops are a fickled thing...when something goes it's hard to replace components and trouble shoot. Laptops to us unskilled arent worth the trouble to save the $.

Your problem could be anything. I have a briend that has a laptop that is screwed up. I cant get it to boot up from harddrive. When I put UBCD4W in the CD and boot up an operating system from the CD it shows all devices working perfectly and it runs fine fron the CD OS.

Go figure eh..but that story doesnt help you much. Just saying you have to know when to draw the line on Laptops. Dismantling them can be a bitch and putting them back together not worth the money.

Now as with any computer that you want to erase the pass word to the bios you need to (leave the harddrive alone LOL) look up its motherboard manual on the internet to assist or try without. Locate the CMOS battery (looks like a watch battery) and remove it. Next near where you found the battery there will be a jumper covering two of three pins on the mother board. Pull it and place it over the other two pins. IE: 123 <-remove from pin 2 & 3 and connect 1 & 2 or visa versa. That will drain and memory of a password and bios settings. Return jumper to original pins and replace battery. Default settins will now automatically apply with no password to enter bios.

However that clears the password to enter bios setting but other problems may be torturing your system also.

Good luck
    paul

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Zer0ink, the part about the watch battery & jumper i don't think goes for laptops.

4. drilon1

drilon1 Member

ok kools, ill try open my laptop 2day, SO IT ISNT my harddrive....wow did i get that confused LOL! thanks Zeroink, ill try that 2day and get back with what ive come up with :D

cheers,

and like ddp said, if it doesnt work 4 laptops, will soon find out :D

5. ddp

look under the keyboard that you can probably pop off as i've done a few laptops & look for a rounded rectangular object with 2 wires coming from it to the motherboard. i've ususally but not always have found it on the left side of the keyboard. that is your cmos battery.

6. Zer0ink

Zer0ink Regular member

ok thanks ddp

i was just taking a poke at it. laptops arent my specialty

7. drilon1

drilon1 Member

ok so do i just pull that thing with the two wires out of the mother board then plug it back in, or leave it out for a while?

8. drilon1

drilon1 Member

ok ddp i removed that rectangle thing with 2 wires comin out of it, and u where right, it was on the bottom left side of the lap top, anyways i unplugged it and let it like that for an hour, when i put it back in, STILL asked for bios password!?

please help, is there anything else i could try?

9. ddp

did you leave the main battery in when you disconnected the small battery pack? remove it if you didn't.

10. drilon1

drilon1 Member

ummmm...i dont remember? i dont think i did, ill do it now :D

btw is there a certain time the battery needs to be unplugged for it to work?

11. ddp

an hour is more then enough time.

12. drilon1

drilon1 Member

hey ddp, i unplugged the motheroard battery and i took out the lap tops battery, left it for an hour or so, mayb less, when i turned it back on SAME THING!!?

is there anyting else i should be unplugging or doing? is that the only way to remove a bios password?

thanks for ur help so far

13. rayals

rayals Regular member

14. Zer0ink

Zer0ink Regular member

you think with a laptop as with a desktop that their would be something to short to drain the memory of the password after removing the battery

15. Zer0ink

Zer0ink Regular member

If a BIOS password is forgotten in some cases it may be possible to use a generic BIOS password to bypass the unknown password. By using a generic BIOS password you may be able to change the password to a different password. Below is a listing of generic passwords for each of the major types of BIOS.

Note: It is important to realize that these passwords do not work on all types of computers and/or BIOS chipsets. If you are unable to bypass or change the password by using these passwords, please refer to the document CH000235 for how to manually clear the unknown password.

AMI BIOS

A.M.I.
    AMI
    AMI_SW
    AMI?SW
    BIOS
    HEWLITT RAND
    LKWPETER
    PASSWORD
    Oder

AWARD BIOS

aLLy
    aLLY
    ALLY
    ALFAROME
    aPAf
    _award
    AWARD SW
    AWARD PW
    AWARD_SW
    AWARD?SW
    AWKWARD
    BIOSTAR
    CONCAT
    Condo
    d8on
    djonet
    HLT
    J64
    J256
    J262
    j332
    j322
    KDD
    LKWPETER
    lkwpeter
    PINT
    pint
    SER
    SKY_FOX
    SYXZ
    TTPTHA
    ZAAADA
    ZBAAACA
    ZJAAADC

Russian Award Passwords:

% p%
    % p%

IBM APTIVA BIOS

Press both mouse buttons repeatedly during the boot

PHOENIX BIOS

phoenix

OTHER BIOS

ALFAROME
    BIOSTAR
    biostar
    biosstar
    CMOS
    cmos
    LKWPETER
    lkwpeter
    setup
    SETUP
    Syxz
    Wodj

SOME COMPUTERS WITH TOSHIBA BIOS

Hold down the Shift key as the computer is booting

credit goes to http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000235.htm

16. Zer0ink

Zer0ink Regular member

17. Zer0ink

Zer0ink Regular member

TOSHIBA BIOS

Most Toshiba laptops and some desktop systems will bypass the BIOS password if the left shift key is held down during boot

18. Zer0ink

Zer0ink Regular member

19. drilon1

drilon1 Member

wow zeroink thanks hheaps, thats alot of stuff :D! ill have a look through it, btw tryed the fastest method, shift key one, and didnt work

rayals have u built a loopback for a toshiba b4? cause im a noob and dont really understand the concept fully, also how would cmospwd work, i tryed reading the txt file but couldnt really understand it?

20. Zer0ink

Zer0ink Regular member