1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soak test software

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by killalot, Mar 26, 2008.

1. killalot

killalot Active member

Any one know of any good freeware soak test software built a computer for a friend had problems with it at first “bsod” etc think its ok now but don’t want to pass it on and have it crashing just want to soak test it for say 12hrs and if it all goes ok let him have it cheers did post this question in another section but got no response so please kind admin don’t move me :)

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3. killalot

killalot Active member

Cheers for the links and advice does occt only test the CPU? Ran the test and it crashed 5 minutes in “bsod”error oxoooooo7f my problem I think is the graphics card because when I uninstalled the graphics card driver and just used the windows base driver the test ran ok and when I Google for info on the card loads of people report problems with this make of card it’s a NVIDIA 4 mmx get the exact name later if needed do you know of any graphics test software thanks for you help so far :)

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, OCCT is strictly the CPU, and partly the memory, so the CPU, Mobo and RAM are the only things that get tested. I suppose you could count the power supply in, but playing a game is going to draw more power than a CPU stess test as the graphics card gets involved too. A BSOD when running a CPU stress test suggests to me that fundamentally, your system isn't stable.
    For graphics test software, 3dmark is a decent test. The scores may be a little arbitrary, but when I've overclocked my graphics card, if it isn't stable, it won't 3dmark. If it does 3dmark, it'll play games.

5. killalot

killalot Active member

I changed the graphics card for an old pci card just to prove a point ran the test in occt it didn’t crash or get “bsod” but got error code 4 any idea what this error is reference to cheers.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

From what I hear, only 1,2,3 and 6 are cause for concern with OCCT. Looks like it's the GPU after all. I have to say I'm surprised, but then every so often that does happen! :)

7. killalot

killalot Active member

Ran test again but this time passed before I ran the test I uninstalled my antivirus software AVG I did close it down last time I ran the test but must have been running in the background going to run the test a few more times with AVG uninstalled just see what happens