AfterDawn: Tech news

Buffalo introduces dual format HD drive

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 26 Mar 2008 4:33 User comments (7)

Buffalo introduces dual format HD drive Buffalo Technology has introduced its first ever external optical disc drive, a dual format HD drive dubbed the BRHC-6316U2.
The drive can read and write single or dual layer Blu-ray discs at an impressive 6x speed and can read HD DVD at 3x. As is standard, the drive can read and write DVDs at 16x.

Buffalo adds that the drive is very simple to use and connects via USB to any PC using a plug and play connection. Included with the drive is Buffalo's own TurboUSB with Secure Lock Ware for drive encryption and the popular burning suite Nero 8 .

The company says the drive will be available for sale on Amazon, Dabs.com, Misco and Play.com for about £284 plus VAT.

Previous Next  

7 user comments

126.3.2008 17:39
tripplite
Inactive

nobody believes me but they make good RAM! but anyways i wouldn't get this,not just because these new on market drives are buddy but because it reads HD DVD which is useless to me

226.3.2008 19:25

What do you mean useless ? Its a blu ray burner that reads HD DVD also...dont know why your complaining

326.3.2008 21:45

Is anyone using BD-R's yet? My dual layer DVD back-ups seem flakey soemtimes. Using Verbatim discs, so I don't think that's it.
This announcement sounds like they were in the works with this product before the format war was declared dead. Why not release it and make some money back on it?

426.3.2008 22:57

Originally posted by tripplite:
nobody believes me but they make good RAM! but anyways i wouldn't get this,not just because these new on market drives are buddy but because it reads HD DVD which is useless to me
Not useless, there were millions upon millions of HD DVD discs sold.

527.3.2008 05:17

360euros+vat....dont think so buffalo...
Until we see better prices not only to recorders but to empty discs too, all this IMO is useless.
An empty DL BD disc cost's most than to buy the original copy of a Movie.

627.3.2008 05:24

but dudes - this is exactly how dvd-r machines started - don´t you all remember when dvd recorders fist came out and started selling for about $ 2000 ? as production increases and competition begins,production will increaae and prices will drop on the hardware side closely followed by media prices dropping. i can still remember in 2003 buying a crappy Philips dvd RW for about 10 dollars !!!
Patience is all that is needed - it won´t happen overnight but it will come.

727.3.2008 08:37

I'll hang out and eagerly wait a drastic price drop before investing in one of these next-gen burners.

Tick-tock.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive